Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > What equals what

What equals what

Andy Whitney

Security on my netgear router has only WEP
Authentication type is: Automatic, Shared Key and Open System
with the encryption strength of Disable, 64 bit and 128 bit

How do these relate to Vista and its Security of

Shared, WPA-2 Personal, WPA-Personal, 802.1x, and two enterprise WPA's

I need to connect these two together so I can lock my neighbors out of my
access point but can't resolve the difference in terms.

TIA

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
From the weakest to the strongest, Wireless security capacity is.
No Security
WPA-PSK__(Very Hard to Break).
WPA-AES__(Not functionally Breakable)
WPA2____ (Not functionally Breakable).
your Wireless hardware.
phrase.
of one of the Wireless devices.
device with a better one.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Andy Whitney" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Security on my netgear router has only WEP
> Authentication type is: Automatic, Shared Key and Open System
> with the encryption strength of Disable, 64 bit and 128 bit
>
> How do these relate to Vista and its Security of
>
> Shared, WPA-2 Personal, WPA-Personal, 802.1x, and two enterprise WPA's
>

> I need to connect these two together so I can lock my neighbors out of my
> access point but can't resolve the difference in terms.
>
> TIA

George W. Barrowcliff

Jack (MVP-Networking). wrote:
> Hi
> From the weakest to the strongest, Wireless security capacity is.
> No Security
> MAC______(Band Aid if nothing else is available).
> WEP64____(Easy, to "Break" by knowledgeable people).
> WEP128___(A little Harder, but "Hackable" too).
> WPA-PSK__(Very Hard to Break).
> WPA-AES__(Not functionally Breakable)
> WPA2____ (Not functionally Breakable).
> Note 1: WPA-AES the the current entry level rendition of WPA2.
> Note 2: If you use WinXP and did not updated it you would have to
> download the WPA2 patch from Microsoft.
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/893357
> The documentation of your Wireless devices (Wireless Router, and
> Wireless Computer's Card) should state the type of security that is
> available with your Wireless hardware.
> All devices MUST be set to the same security level using the same pass
> phrase.
> Therefore the security must be set according what ever is the best
> possible of one of the Wireless devices.
> I.e. even if most of your system might be capable to be configured to
> the max. with WPA2, but one device is only capable to be configured to
> max . of WEP, to whole system must be configured to WEP.
> If you need more good security and one device (like a Wireless card that
> can do WEP only) is holding better security for the whole Network,
> replace the device with a better one.
> Setting Wireless Security - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>
> "Andy Whitney" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Security on my netgear router has only WEP
>> Authentication type is: Automatic, Shared Key and Open System
>> with the encryption strength of Disable, 64 bit and 128 bit
>>
>> How do these relate to Vista and its Security of
>>
>> Shared, WPA-2 Personal, WPA-Personal, 802.1x, and two enterprise WPA's
>>

>> I need to connect these two together so I can lock my neighbors out of
>> my access point but can't resolve the difference in terms.
>>
>> TIA

The problem is matching the 54terms from the router to the terms of the
vista configuration.

I did Automatic and enable with WEP 64 bit encryption at the router with
13 character passphrase, then went to Vista, Open and entered the
passphrase. I can connect to the router but cannot get through to the
internet. A direct connected computer to the router has no problems
getting to the internet.
When I dropped the encryption, all laptops connect to the router and the
internet.

Some incompatability in the configurations between the router and the
vista laptops.

GWB

Lem

Andy Whitney wrote:
> Security on my netgear router has only WEP
> Authentication type is: Automatic, Shared Key and Open System
> with the encryption strength of Disable, 64 bit and 128 bit
>
> How do these relate to Vista and its Security of
>
> Shared, WPA-2 Personal, WPA-Personal, 802.1x, and two enterprise WPA's
>

> I need to connect these two together so I can lock my neighbors out of my
> access point but can't resolve the difference in terms.
>
> TIA

Unless you have an old Netgear router, it should be capable of WPA2 or
at least WPA. You may have to install up-to-date firmware. What model
Netgear do you have?

As far as the Vista options go:

Use WPA2-Personal (preferably) or WPA-Personal.

Do *NOT* use 802.1x or either of the "enterprise" WPA options.

--
Lem -- MS-MVP

Lem

George W. Barrowcliff wrote:
> Jack (MVP-Networking). wrote:
>> Hi
>> From the weakest to the strongest, Wireless security capacity is.
>> No Security
>> MAC______(Band Aid if nothing else is available).
>> WEP64____(Easy, to "Break" by knowledgeable people).
>> WEP128___(A little Harder, but "Hackable" too).
>> WPA-PSK__(Very Hard to Break).
>> WPA-AES__(Not functionally Breakable)
>> WPA2____ (Not functionally Breakable).
>> Note 1: WPA-AES the the current entry level rendition of WPA2.
>> Note 2: If you use WinXP and did not updated it you would have to
>> download the WPA2 patch from Microsoft.
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/893357
>> The documentation of your Wireless devices (Wireless Router, and
>> Wireless Computer's Card) should state the type of security that is
>> available with your Wireless hardware.
>> All devices MUST be set to the same security level using the same pass
>> phrase.
>> Therefore the security must be set according what ever is the best
>> possible of one of the Wireless devices.
>> I.e. even if most of your system might be capable to be configured to
>> the max. with WPA2, but one device is only capable to be configured to
>> max . of WEP, to whole system must be configured to WEP.
>> If you need more good security and one device (like a Wireless card
>> that can do WEP only) is holding better security for the whole
>> Network, replace the device with a better one.
>> Setting Wireless Security - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html
>> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>>
>> "Andy Whitney" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Security on my netgear router has only WEP
>>> Authentication type is: Automatic, Shared Key and Open System
>>> with the encryption strength of Disable, 64 bit and 128 bit
>>>
>>> How do these relate to Vista and its Security of
>>>
>>> Shared, WPA-2 Personal, WPA-Personal, 802.1x, and two enterprise WPA's
>>>

>>> I need to connect these two together so I can lock my neighbors out
>>> of my access point but can't resolve the difference in terms.
>>>
>>> TIA
>>>

> The problem is matching the 54terms from the router to the terms of the
> vista configuration.
>
> I did Automatic and enable with WEP 64 bit encryption at the router with
> 13 character passphrase, then went to Vista, Open and entered the
> passphrase. I can connect to the router but cannot get through to the
> internet. A direct connected computer to the router has no problems
> getting to the internet.
> When I dropped the encryption, all laptops connect to the router and the
> internet.
>
> Some incompatability in the configurations between the router and the
> vista laptops.
>
> GWB

Read Jack's post. A "direct connected" computer (i.e., one that is
connected to the router with an Ethernet cable) does not use any
encryption. Encryption is a security model for wireless networking only.

--
Lem -- MS-MVP

Barb Bowman

As Lem mentioned, unless the Netgear is an old 802.11b wireless
router, there may be firmware that enables WPA2/WPA. What modem
router and what hardware version?

If it is an old 802.11b only router, you should replace it, since
WEP is just NOT safe to use.

--

Barb Bowman
MS-MVP