Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > ASA 5510 restarts itself several times a day

ASA 5510 restarts itself several times a day

Morph

ASA 5510 seems to work normaly but it restarts itself a dozen times a
day.
Does anyone have an idea what might cause this?

It is connected to an UPS so power failure should not be the cause.
I found some info on the internet that inspect esmtp might cause this.
It was removed from the configuration but nothing changed.

The software version is:
Cisco Adaptive Security Appliance Software Version 7.2(3)
Device Manager Version 5.2(3)

CPU and memory usage are also within normal.

It is a standalone unit (not configured in failover).

Merv

On Aug 18, 10:01 am, Morph <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> ASA 5510 seems to work normaly but it restarts itself a dozen times a
> day.
> Does anyone have an idea what might cause this?
>
> It is connected to an UPS so power failure should not be the cause.
> I found some info on the internet that inspect esmtp might cause this.
> It was removed from the configuration but nothing changed.
>
> The software version is:
> Cisco Adaptive Security Appliance Software Version 7.2(3)

You might want to give 7.2.4 a try to see if it address your issue

Morph

In the message
<(E-Mail Removed)> Merv
wrote:

| On Aug 18, 10:01 am, Morph <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
| > ASA 5510 seems to work normaly but it restarts itself a dozen times a
| > day.
| > Does anyone have an idea what might cause this?
| >
| > It is connected to an UPS so power failure should not be the cause.
| > I found some info on the internet that inspect esmtp might cause this.
| > It was removed from the configuration but nothing changed.
| >
| > The software version is:
| > Cisco Adaptive Security Appliance Software Version 7.2(3)
|

| You might want to give 7.2.4 a try to see if it address your issue

Do you prefer version 7.2.4 over 8.X. To refrase the question if we
upgrade the software is there any particular reason not to upgrade to
8.X version?
Thank you for your time.

Scott Perry

I encourage you to upgrade to the 8.x.x series for the added benefits over
the 7.x.x series. There are additional benefits like EIGRP and OSPF routing
protocol as well as a higher version of the ASDM, if you use it.
There is no reason not to upgrade to 8.x.x because the memory and flash
space requirements for 8.x.x and 7.x.x are similar. 8.0.4 requires 256MB of
RAM and at least 16MB of flash drive space for the ASA 5510, just like 7.2.4
does. The file for 7.2.4 is smaller, but still is within the 64MB limit of
a standard ASA 5510 flash drive from the factory.

Do not use 8.0.1 because it contained a bug where the ASA would unexpectedly
reboot. The reboots were triggered some time after SSH connections to the
ASA ended. Use version 8.0.2, 8.0.3, or 8.0.4 so you will not move on to
another possible cause for ASA device reboots.

It is unfortunate that the ASA does not show the reason for its last boot
like the IOS routers and switches.

-----
Scott Perry
Indianapolis, IN
-----

"Morph" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> In the message
> <(E-Mail Removed)> Merv
> wrote:
>
> | On Aug 18, 10:01 am, Morph <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> | > ASA 5510 seems to work normaly but it restarts itself a dozen times a
> | > day.
> | > Does anyone have an idea what might cause this?
> | >
> | > It is connected to an UPS so power failure should not be the cause.
> | > I found some info on the internet that inspect esmtp might cause this.
> | > It was removed from the configuration but nothing changed.
> | >
> | > The software version is:
> | > Cisco Adaptive Security Appliance Software Version 7.2(3)
> |

> | You might want to give 7.2.4 a try to see if it address your issue
>
> Do you prefer version 7.2.4 over 8.X. To refrase the question if we
> upgrade the software is there any particular reason not to upgrade to
> 8.X version?
> Thank you for your time.

Walter Roberson

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Morph <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>ASA 5510 seems to work normaly but it restarts itself a dozen times a
>day.
>Does anyone have an idea what might cause this?

Could be as simple as a loose power connector. The older PIX 501
and 506/506E were prone to such problems.

Merv

| You might want to give 7.2.4 a try to see if it address your issue

Do you prefer version 7.2.4 over 8.X. To refrase the question if we
upgrade the software is there any particular reason not to upgrade to
8.X version?

Remember the numbering convention conveys whether the release is a
major change or a minor change

Also keep in mind that lots of new features typically means lots of
new bugs.

Do you need features that are in 8.x ; you should consider this
question carefully.

Think about the impact if you have to back out the release 7.2.4 or
8.x - it happens - I have had to do it more times than I care to
think about

Get the release notes for which ever target images you are considering
and go over them very carefully - looks at what has been resolved and
what caveats are still open.

And as Walters has pointed out check the power cords, etc

Morph

In the message
<(E-Mail Removed)> Merv
wrote:

| On Aug 18, 10:01 am, Morph <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
| > ASA 5510 seems to work normaly but it restarts itself a dozen times a
| > day.
| > Does anyone have an idea what might cause this?
| >
| > It is connected to an UPS so power failure should not be the cause.
| > I found some info on the internet that inspect esmtp might cause this.
| > It was removed from the configuration but nothing changed.
| >
| > The software version is:
| > Cisco Adaptive Security Appliance Software Version 7.2(3)
|

| You might want to give 7.2.4 a try to see if it address your issue

Installed 7.2.4 and that seems to have fixed the problem. The ASA stoped
rebooting itself and everything seems to be normal.
Thanx everyone for taking the time to respond.