Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > does this site overkill and suck?

does this site overkill and suck?

richard

www.wkrq.com

This is my old hometown favorite radio station.
Used to be they had a really nice site. But now it appears they went
and royally trashed it.

If I want to sell the radio station, why am I going to waste the space
and flash it up with all kinds of world event news and stuff that has
nothing to do with the station?

It's an excercise in, "Geee, how much can I cram into one little old
page anyway?".

Travis Newbury

On Aug 18, 4:51*am, richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> It's an excercise in, "Geee, how much can I cram into one little old
> page anyway?".

I agree, the site is way too busy. But it looks more like they are
selling ad apace than anything else. I count no less than 15 ads on
the page. It looks like the people buying the ad space get to design
their ad. This leads to multiple (contrasting) color schemes, images
and animations that don't blend well. Better management of the
banners and ads would greatly improve the look, but still allow them
the ad space.

I also agree that all the national and international news is
meaningless to a local station. Maybe they are trying to pretend they
are a big player?

It would be interesting to see if you could start an email campaign to
get them to change the site.

Has anyone ever written to a website you thought was doing things
wrong and gotten them to change?

--
Travis
Flash Crap: http://travisnewbury.blogspot.com

John Hosking

richard wrote:
> http://www.wkrq.com/
>
> This is my old hometown favorite radio station.
> Used to be they had a really nice site. But now it appears they went
> and royally trashed it.
>
> If I want to sell the radio station, why am I going to waste the space
> and flash it up with all kinds of world event news and stuff that has
> nothing to do with the station?
>
> It's an excercise in, "Geee, how much can I cram into one little old
> page anyway?".

Actually, their markup is pure minimalism (rendering similarly
minimalistic results when JS is turned off):

<script language="JavaScript">
<!--
location.replace("index.php");
// -->
</script>
</head>

John
Page falls into The Technology Trap:
Just because something *can* be done, doesn't mean it *should* be done.

Is a "convert to any type" operator overkill and dangerous? template<typename T> operator T () Qi C++ 2 07-01-2011 03:39 AM
Photshop Element, overkill? kyle.wylie@gmail.com Digital Photography 5 10-08-2005 05:26 PM
Security overkill? Louise Computer Security 24 07-16-2005 06:02 AM
Overkill Bren Computer Security 11 04-16-2005 04:22 AM
is JNI overkill SirThanxALot Java 4 01-25-2005 12:51 PM

Advertisments