Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > New Laptop needed with XP Pro instead of Vista

New Laptop needed with XP Pro instead of Vista

ecurb

Hi, I am in need of a new laptop... and that laptop has to have
Windows XP Professional installed.. not
Vista (I need to install software that *only* runs on XP Pro).

Problem is I can't find any new machines anywhere - except for Dell
- which do offer such a machin... but I need a machine fast, and can't
wait 10 working days for Dell to produce one.

Any suggestions anyone ?

Many thanks for any feedback.

Squiggle

ecurb wrote:
> Hi, I am in need of a new laptop... and that laptop has to have
> Windows XP Professional installed.. not
> Vista (I need to install software that *only* runs on XP Pro).
>
> Problem is I can't find any new machines anywhere - except for Dell
> - which do offer such a machin... but I need a machine fast, and can't
> wait 10 working days for Dell to produce one.
>
> Any suggestions anyone ?
>
> Many thanks for any feedback.

If no other options come up there are some laptops that come with vista
business, but with XP pro media included. If you have a licence for
Vista Business you are entitled to install XP pro instead.

eg. http://www.portables.co.nz/PSLB1A-02D008.aspx

Basically if you can get you hands on XP Pro install media you can
install it on any laptop that you purchase that has Vista Business (and
IIRC Vista Ultimate also gives you this right). Only catch is that with
some laptops it might be hard to find drivers for XP.

ecurb

On Aug 17, 5:54*pm, Squiggle <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> ecurb wrote:
> > Hi, I am in need of a new laptop... and that laptop has to have
> > Windows XP Professional installed.. not
> > Vista (I need to install software that *only* runs on XP Pro).

> > Problem is I can't find any new machines anywhere *- except for Dell
> > - which do offer such a machin... but I need a machine fast, and can't
> > wait 10 working days for Dell to produce one.

> > Any suggestions anyone ?

> > Many thanks for any feedback.

> If no other options come up there are some laptops that come with vista
> business, but with XP pro media included. If you have a licence for
> Vista Business you are entitled to install XP pro instead.
>
> eg.http://www.portables.co.nz/PSLB1A-02D008.aspx
>
> Basically if you can get you hands on XP Pro install media you can
> install it on any laptop that you purchase that has Vista Business (and
> IIRC Vista Ultimate also gives you this right). Only catch is that with
> some laptops it might be hard to find drivers for XP.

Thanks for that link.. & your good advice. The Toshiba would suit very
well indeed.. and I assume drivers would all be ok??

Lukagain Cos ThistleBounce

search for xc4182 at dse.co.nz

Squiggle

ecurb wrote:
> On Aug 17, 5:54 pm, Squiggle <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> ecurb wrote:
>>> Hi, I am in need of a new laptop... and that laptop has to have
>>> Windows XP Professional installed.. not
>>> Vista (I need to install software that *only* runs on XP Pro).
>>> Problem is I can't find any new machines anywhere - except for Dell
>>> - which do offer such a machin... but I need a machine fast, and can't
>>> wait 10 working days for Dell to produce one.
>>> Any suggestions anyone ?
>>> Many thanks for any feedback.

>> If no other options come up there are some laptops that come with vista
>> business, but with XP pro media included. If you have a licence for
>> Vista Business you are entitled to install XP pro instead.
>>
>> eg.http://www.portables.co.nz/PSLB1A-02D008.aspx
>>
>> Basically if you can get you hands on XP Pro install media you can
>> install it on any laptop that you purchase that has Vista Business (and
>> IIRC Vista Ultimate also gives you this right). Only catch is that with
>> some laptops it might be hard to find drivers for XP.

> Thanks for that link.. & your good advice. The Toshiba would suit very
> well indeed.. and I assume drivers would all be ok??

It appears to be a standard toshiba package offered by many retailers so
I would assume that they have included drivers discs, but it would pay
to ask before buying. Alternatively if you aren't a tech head or
prepared to stuff around sorting out issues it may be worth paying an
extra $50 or so to get the shop to install XP for you.

same laptop package, about $300 cheaper:
http://www.enetcomputers.co.nz/Produ...ductCode=03323