Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Re: UK DSL provider experience, AVM Fritz!Box Fon?

Re: UK DSL provider experience, AVM Fritz!Box Fon?

Gordon Henderson

In article <g8797r$2pq$(E-Mail Removed)>,
B. Wright <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> This is quite UK specific so I will post it here and if anyone
>has personal experience and can answer all or part I would appreciate
>it greatly. I am sure some have already been asked but the market
>changes frequently in my experience so best to get current answers.
>
> Who provides the best DSL? Best not meaning cheapest, but
>something reasonable (without a contract hopefully), reliable, and high
>enough bandwidth to use VoIP without problems?

I maybe biased as I'm a reseller, but I've being using (and reselling)
Entanet services for some time now for all my VoIP customers. The one I
start them with is the 25 a month business one - that's up to 830Kb/sec
upload speed (as always, it depends on distance and line quality!)

In terms of performance, I've had no problems with 9 concurrent calls
on my own system under test. (No compression, I had 16 compressed calls
before the PBX I was testing ran out of steam)

Enta have a 1-month minimum contract, but you pay the setup-fee
up-front.

> Is it pretty much a given that even the DSL re-sellers require a
>fixed BT line for service? Does BT offer any inbound only services that
>are discounted enough to justify them? From the looks of things they
>discontinued most or only allow them for low income people.

Yes, you need a BT line, and as I understand it, you can't get broadband
on one that's discounted for low-income... Go direct-debit, paperless
bills which is the cheapest way to get it. You may be able to get it
cheaper if you use a BT wholesaler, but read the small-print...

> On the BT lowest tier of DSL they have a 10GB cap, I am guessing
>it's total, or is that each direction? It says overage is charged at
>60p/GB, any experience on if that is only on each GB over the limit, or
>once you go over they slap the charge on even the first 10GB? Their
>website is not clear on that and I imagine the phone service reps don't
>have a clue. Seems more sensible to buy the 10GB cap service and pay
>overages if they happen, the higher tiers (other than "unlimited") work
>out to be more expensive than paying .60p/GB.

Can't answer that - I use BT for the copper, Enta for the Internet. That
25 a month package has a cap of 45GB at peak times, and 300GB at
off-peak.

> Finally, on the hardware, I'm thinking about the Fritz!Box Fon
>because of the features and flexibility. Already have a wifi router and
>Sipura so could do with only a cheap DSL modem for RFC-1483 bridging in
>a pinch if I have to. Does anyone known if the Fritz device's "PBX"
>function allows registration by other SIP clients? If it does, that's
>great, I can configure the services in that and use my Sipura on private
>addressing without NAT problems. Do the newer devices all do Annex A/B
>and it's it simply a firmware swap to change? It seems they have many
>model numbers all called "Fritz!Box Fon" over time and they all have
>different features, I haven't found a list that details the difference
>by specific model number anywhere.

Ivor'll answer that

But what are you trying to achieve? Is this for home use or business?
How many handsets?

>P.S. If you have a spare free standing DSL modem that is rock solid and
>in the min does RFC-1483 Transparent Bridging, e-mail me with an offer I
>can't refuse. I'll probably take it off your hands.

eBay...

Gordon

Brian A

>> Finally, on the hardware, I'm thinking about the Fritz!Box Fon
>>because of the features and flexibility. Already have a wifi router and
>>Sipura so could do with only a cheap DSL modem for RFC-1483 bridging in
>>a pinch if I have to. Does anyone known if the Fritz device's "PBX"
>>function allows registration by other SIP clients? If it does, that's
>>great, I can configure the services in that and use my Sipura on private
>>addressing without NAT problems. Do the newer devices all do Annex A/B
>>and it's it simply a firmware swap to change? It seems they have many
>>model numbers all called "Fritz!Box Fon" over time and they all have
>>different features, I haven't found a list that details the difference
>>by specific model number anywhere.

I have a Fritzbox 7140. It performs OK as a router and as a wireless
LAN. No compalints there. However, on the voip front I wouldn't
recommend it. I have my SPA-3000 ATA connected to the Fritzbox as you
will see from an earlier posting (headed 'Sipgate to Voipfone') I,
and Gordon it appears, think the Fritzbox dial rules system and its
restrictions are pants! I've written to AVM and told them as much.
The Fritzbox is good for QoS on voip calls. It works well with my
SPA-3000. If I am on a call and making a download it slows the
download and keeps the quality of the call up. The Fritzbox would be
OK for incoming calls or for dialling out as a PSTN connection via an
SPA-3000/3102. So I don't condem the Fritzbox entirely but only for
dialling experience for outgoing calls - the rest is fine.

---
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
---