Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Re: Sipgate to Voipfone

Re: Sipgate to Voipfone

alexd

On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 13:50:24 +0100, Wayne wrote:

> Is there anyway to call a Voipfone number from Sipgate without going
> through the PSTN?

http://sipbroker.net

15:26:45 up 35 days, 18:03, 2 users, load average: 0.03, 0.05, 0.03

Ivor Jones

In news:48a6e3b1$0$629$(E-Mail Removed),
alexd <(E-Mail Removed)> typed, for some strange, unexplained reason:
: On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 13:50:24 +0100, Wayne wrote:
:
: > Is there anyway to call a Voipfone number from Sipgate without going
: > through the PSTN?
:
: http://sipbroker.net

I find that site very difficult to navigate. How exactly would I call say
Gradwell from Sipgate using this service..?

Ivor

Gordon Henderson

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Ivor Jones <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>In news:48a6e3b1$0$629$(E-Mail Removed),
>alexd <(E-Mail Removed)> typed, for some strange, unexplained reason:
>: On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 13:50:24 +0100, Wayne wrote:
>:
>: > Is there anyway to call a Voipfone number from Sipgate without going
>: > through the PSTN?
>:
>: http://sipbroker.net
>
>I find that site very difficult to navigate. How exactly would I call say
>Gradwell from Sipgate using this service..?

You don't.

AIUI, You make your phone dial-out via the Sipbroker service... So you
dial a prefx to sipbroker, then your outgoing call goes via whichever
service you choose, and incoming calls from any of the remote services
are forwarded to your phone...

Your VoIP phone/device doesn't even need to register with them.

So you don't dial a Gradwell number from Sipgate, you dial it from your
phone connected to Sipbroker.

So for the OP's requirement, just register with sipbroker, then lookup
the prefix for voipfone (*350), dial *350 then the number on the
voipfone network...

To get to a Gradwell number, it's *309 then the number.

It sort of saves every VoIP operator peering with everyone else, but I
don't know how they're funded, or what their stability is...

Gordon

Ivor Jones

In news:g8702b$2bm5$(E-Mail Removed),
Gordon Henderson <(E-Mail Removed)> typed, for some strange,
unexplained reason:
: In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
: Ivor Jones <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

[snip]

: >I find that site very difficult to navigate. How exactly would I
: >call say Gradwell from Sipgate using this service..?
:
: You don't.
:
: AIUI, You make your phone dial-out via the Sipbroker service... So
: you dial a prefx to sipbroker, then your outgoing call goes via
: whichever service you choose, and incoming calls from any of the
: remote services are forwarded to your phone...
:
: Your VoIP phone/device doesn't even need to register with them.
:
: So you don't dial a Gradwell number from Sipgate, you dial it from
: your phone connected to Sipbroker.

Sorry, I'm having trouble getting this. Do I have to configure my system
to dial out via Sipbroker, then..? How would I do this on a Fritz!Box..?

Ivor

Brian A

On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 18:29:44 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In news:g8702b$2bm5$(E-Mail Removed),
>Gordon Henderson <(E-Mail Removed)> typed, for some strange,
>unexplained reason:
>: In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>: Ivor Jones <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>[snip]
>
>: >I find that site very difficult to navigate. How exactly would I
>: >call say Gradwell from Sipgate using this service..?
>:
>: You don't.
>:
>: AIUI, You make your phone dial-out via the Sipbroker service... So
>: you dial a prefx to sipbroker, then your outgoing call goes via
>: whichever service you choose, and incoming calls from any of the
>: remote services are forwarded to your phone...
>:
>: Your VoIP phone/device doesn't even need to register with them.
>:
>: So you don't dial a Gradwell number from Sipgate, you dial it from
>: your phone connected to Sipbroker.
>
>Sorry, I'm having trouble getting this. Do I have to configure my system
>to dial out via Sipbroker, then..? How would I do this on a Fritz!Box..?
>
>Ivor

For ATAs, such as Linksys/Sipura 3102/3000 etc it is simple. Just
include something like this in your dial plan and it should work:
*xx. <:@sipbroker.com>
There is no need to do any setting up in the gayeways etc.
If there is a particular number you want to call with easy access then
simply do this:
<#1:*266300><:@sipbroker.com>
Where the Sipbroker number follows the ':'
Dial #1 for the sound of monkeys!

Sipbroker needs no username or password. If your ATA gets upset
because you haven't used one then enter anything.
.................................................. .
Fritzbox:
I don't want to digress by complaining about the way the Fritzbox is
configured ( I have one btw) but as Sipbroker numbers start with a '*'
this can cause problems with a Fritzbox. I know that there are ways
round this but they are very user unfriendly - i.e. more digits to
dial.

If you want to use Sipbroker with a Fritzbox, avoiding the '*'
problem, then you could get a free account with Voxalot. Voxalot, as
it stands will accept Sipbroker numbers. To use with a Frizbox use the
dial plan facility in Voxalot like this for example:-
Say you decided that to indicate this is a Sipbroker number you would
precede it with 11
In the advanced settings, on Voxalot, do this:-
Pattern: _11X.
Comment: Sipbroker Access
Replacement: *{EXTEN:2}
Provider: Sipbroker
Active:Yes
Virtual Toll Free Enabled: No
Enum lookup: No
Geographic Lookup: No

Then save it.

There is no need to set up Sipbroker in the providers' list as it is
available as standard.

Now, in your Fritzbox, or any other ATA for that matter.
Set up Voxalot as a provider
SIP: eu.voxalot.com

Now you can dial Sipbroker numbers on a Fritzbox just by replacing the
* with 11.

If you already use voxalot then simply dial the Sipbroker number
straight off and it will work (remember the *)

You can also dial US 1800 numbers via Sipbroker.
For example:
*1800555TELL (TELL=8355) - Tell Me service
Via the Tell Me service you can access many US companies, airlines
etc. It is voice controlled.
.................................................. ...
It is also possible to access Sipbroker :-
Where the Sipbroker number begins with a *

Sipbroker numbers are in two parts rather like the area code and the
local number on PSTN.
Part 1: The code to access the provider of number you are calling
Part 2: The SIP number.
So, for example, let's say you wanted to call a number on Voiptalk
that was 8xxxxxxxx
The code for voiptalk is *258
so the full number would be
*2588xxxxxxx
The codes are listed on the sipbroker web site.
Now, if you don't want to do any setting up and the person you want to
call doesn't have a PSTN number attached to his/her voip number then
you can call a Sipbroker PSTN access line and enter the Sipbroker
number in there.

1. A sip address (E-Mail Removed)
2. Via Voxalot as described, just dial the Sipbroker number directly.
3. Set up your ATA with SIP Proxy: sipbroker.com (don't need user or
pw)
4. Call via one of the many worldwide PSTN access numbers.

Some VSPs block Sipbroker, you'll see which ones on th eSipbroker.com
web site.
Thats it - ignore the following unless you want to read my ramblings
about the Fritzbox.

Now my rant about the Fritzbox - I hope AVM read this.
I positively HATE the Fritzbox dial rules system, it isn't a patch on
the Linksys. In an effort to make it simple they make the dialling
experience hell. IMHO a good dialling experience is one that is
indistinguishable from standard PSTN (or easier). The Fritzbox is a
mega failure in this respect. What the designers were thinking I don't
know. The 'Quick dials' are anything but. I mean, a typical 'Quick
dial' is **701# - SIX DIGITS, how is that a 'quickdial'? If they had
a check box with a complete 'opt out' from their stupid system it
would be better. Having to dial a # after every number is ridiculous
also.
The very best thing AVM could do is update the Fritzbox with the
ability to use a Linksys style dial plan as an alternative to what
they have now. Those who want to carry on with the old system can then
do so.

---
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
---

Ivor Jones

In news:(E-Mail Removed),
Brian A <(E-Mail Removed)> typed, for some strange, unexplained
reason:

[snip]

: Fritzbox:
: I don't want to digress by complaining about the way the Fritzbox is
: configured ( I have one btw) but as Sipbroker numbers start with a '*'
: this can cause problems with a Fritzbox. I know that there are ways
: round this but they are very user unfriendly - i.e. more digits to
: dial.

It's not a problem - dialling *# gives you dial tone again with all
further digits transmitted to line.

Notwithstanding the solution below (which I will try if all else fails)
assuming I can dial numbers starting with * how would I go about it..? Do
I have to set up an additional SIP account..?

Ivor

[...]

Eh..? You don't - I never do.

: The very best thing AVM could do is update the Fritzbox with the
: ability to use a Linksys style dial plan as an alternative to what
: they have now. Those who want to carry on with the old system can then
: do so.

That would be a good idea I agree.

Ivor

Brian A

On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 00:12:30 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In news:(E-Mail Removed),
>Brian A <(E-Mail Removed)> typed, for some strange, unexplained
>reason:
>
>[snip]
>
>: Fritzbox:

>Notwithstanding the solution below (which I will try if all else fails)
>assuming I can dial numbers starting with * how would I go about it..? Do
>I have to set up an additional SIP account..?

You don't need to set up an account with anyone. I don't know of a
way to include a SIP address as part of the dialling rules in a
Fritzbox, so it will mean that a SIP account for Sipbroker, or
Voxalot, will need to be set up for one of the Fon extensions. That is
one of the reasons I suggested Voxalot because that will also provide
other features. Voxalot will also allow you to use more providers for
example. If you want to register a provider (so you can receive
incoming calls) , as distinct from simply using one to call out, it
will mean paying an annual fee.
The Sipbroker access number, for Voxalot, is *010
so others will easily be able to call you via Sipbroker - something
they can't do if you are on Sipgate.

---

Brian A <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Now my rant about the Fritzbox - I hope AVM read this.
> I positively HATE the Fritzbox dial rules system, it isn't a patch on
>the Linksys. In an effort to make it simple they make the dialling
>experience hell. IMHO a good dialling experience is one that is
>indistinguishable from standard PSTN (or easier). The Fritzbox is a
>mega failure in this respect. What the designers were thinking I don't
>know. The 'Quick dials' are anything but. I mean, a typical 'Quick
>dial' is **701# - SIX DIGITS, how is that a 'quickdial'? If they had
>a check box with a complete 'opt out' from their stupid system it
>would be better. Having to dial a # after every number is ridiculous
>also.

I'd second this. After reading about them, I bought one for a client
who was moving into an office where they were going to sell him an
extortionate phone connection, but the wired 'broadband' via Ethernet was
reasonable... So got one of the ones with broadband router capabilities
(now discontinued I think) (The Client had a nice anlogue DECT phone
which they wanted to keep, hence the need fo an "ATA")

It actually worked very well... Until I tried to dial some of the "star
codes" that my PBX supports and failed miserably. Email to them suggested
I had to dial *121#*# before it would then pass other codes from the phone
through to my (remote) VoIP server. After that, I vowed never to touch
them again. Stinking piles of inflexable poo as far as I'm concerned.

Gordon