Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Re: I found a use for the Asus EEE

Re: I found a use for the Asus EEE

Nicolaas Hawkins

On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 20:23:44 +1200, thing <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
<news:48a68e7c$(E-Mail Removed)>:

> Makes a gps...
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbnM-0VMDIU
>
> adding a touch screen...
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8-Bb...eature=related
>
> regards
>
> Thing

Bugger! I thought you were going to announce that you had found a new
type of snapper lead.

--
- Nic.

Craig Shore

On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 13:25:22 +1200, thing <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Eventually my bet would be a mobile phone that you take with you holding
>your life.......approach the car type in the entry code and the doors
>open....sit in the car and plug it in, up comes the gps on a bigger
>in-place screen and security is Ok'd....switches to a radio station or
>mp3s...all voice controlled/activated...so you could be heading home and
>wi-fi or 3g connects your phone to home and dinner starts up...or
>whatever...

How were you making that last connection to the wife?

I think there is a system available now that turns your house alarm (I
think maybe unlocks the doors too) off when your bluetooth cellphone
gets near. Buggered if I can find anything about it on google at the
moment though.

Jasen Betts

On 2008-08-17, thing <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> You dont have to do it with one device, but the point is that CPUs and
> ram is dirt cheap...8 core cpus are next year, 80 core not that far
> away...why have many cpus when one would walk it easily?...It would
> depend on how dispersed and disparate the equipment is, there are small
> very efficient cpus out there as well...You would control them via one
> device though...no reason why in a car it could not all connect via
> USB/firewire/ especially bluetooth...

I wouldn't want to be on the road anywhere near a car that was "all
connected via bluetooth". Immagine what could happen if the bluetooth
got jammed by a hacked cellphone...

Bye.
Jasen

Bruce Sinclair

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, thingy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Nicolaas Hawkins wrote:

(snip)
>The point is of course, why do you want a single purpose unit...which is
>always what gets me...we have hugely powerful cpus and ram is dirt
>cheap...MS talks about a media centre controlling the entire home...

"Controlling" being the operative word here
Neither is the concept of a central control new of course ... been around a
long time. Just never really worked well from what I've seen.

Craig Shore

On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 23:15:55 GMT,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)z (Bruce Sinclair)
wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, thingy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>Nicolaas Hawkins wrote:

>(snip)
>>The point is of course, why do you want a single purpose unit...which is
>>always what gets me...we have hugely powerful cpus and ram is dirt
>>cheap...MS talks about a media centre controlling the entire home...

>"Controlling" being the operative word here
>Neither is the concept of a central control new of course ... been around a
>long time. Just never really worked well from what I've seen.

I think the home automation lighting is probably the best out of all
of it. I like the way you can put a switch by your door (or anywhere)
that does an "all off" signal. You can then set up whichever circuits
you want to respond to that command. Makes turning all the lights off
when you're going out a lot easier for the lazy - one button to push
on your way out the door.
I think the computer networks these switches run on are standardised
too.

Bruce Sinclair

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Craig Shore <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 23:15:55 GMT,
>(E-Mail Removed) nz (Bruce Sinclair)
>wrote:
>
>>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, thingy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>Nicolaas Hawkins wrote:

>>(snip)
>>>The point is of course, why do you want a single purpose unit...which is
>>>always what gets me...we have hugely powerful cpus and ram is dirt
>>>cheap...MS talks about a media centre controlling the entire home...

>>"Controlling" being the operative word here
>>Neither is the concept of a central control new of course ... been around a
>>long time. Just never really worked well from what I've seen.

>I think the home automation lighting is probably the best out of all
>of it. I like the way you can put a switch by your door (or anywhere)
>that does an "all off" signal. You can then set up whichever circuits
>you want to respond to that command. Makes turning all the lights off
>when you're going out a lot easier for the lazy - one button to push
>on your way out the door.
>I think the computer networks these switches run on are standardised
>too.

A simplified version of this is used in some motels/hotels. You have to put
your door access card into the slot by the door to make the lights go. Take
it out ... all off. Zero to minimal computer control needed.