Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Will Vista Ultimate 64 Install Cleanly on a 16 GB Box?

Will Vista Ultimate 64 Install Cleanly on a 16 GB Box?

N Brown

I just bought Vista Ultimate 64 Sp1, installed to 4 gigs of ram no problem,
Asus p5k mobo.

"Paul Montgomery" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
On Aug 15, 1:04 pm, "Dominic Payer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Seehttp://support.microsoft.com/kb/929777.
> The hotfix is included in SP1.

Prerequisites
To apply this update, you must have Windows Vista installed on a
computer that uses more than 3 GB of RAM.

It's gonna be hard to apply the hotfix before Vista is installed.

N Brown

Yea nut how long would it take me to get an Audio \Video masterpiece setup,
playing and editing on Linux? Oh
and run Crysis MOHA, Qauke 4, Turok 2008, Etc.

"Canuck57" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> "Peter de B. Harrington" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:e01yprv$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi:
>>
>> I am building a system for numerical computation. I am using a ECS
>> P45T-A LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard with 4 memory slots and
>> the OCZ 16 GB DDR2 800 Quad Kit. I would like to know in advance will
>> Vista Ultimate SP1 be installable on this system?
>>
>> The reason I asked is that I read reports that Vista has a bug that
>> prevents it from installing on systems populated with more than 2 GBs of
>> RAM. The work around is to remove all but 2 GBs and then install, but
>> clearly in this case that will not be possible. I also would like to
>> imagine that this bug would have been eliminated with SP1.
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>>
>> Pete

> Bet it would run faster in Linux.
>
> OCZ RAM in mine, 8GB, works great.

Robert McMillan

I have installed both both pre sp1 and post sp1 vista business 64 on my
machine with 8gb of ram installed without problems. So it is not always a
problem to install with more ram in the system. Motherboard is a Gigabyte
P35-DS4 is that helps.

Robert

"Peter de B. Harrington" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:e01yprv$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi:
>
> I am building a system for numerical computation. I am using a ECS P45T-A
> LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard with 4 memory slots and the OCZ 16
> GB DDR2 800 Quad Kit. I would like to know in advance will Vista Ultimate
> SP1 be installable on this system?
>
> The reason I asked is that I read reports that Vista has a bug that
> prevents it from installing on systems populated with more than 2 GBs of
> RAM. The work around is to remove all but 2 GBs and then install, but
> clearly in this case that will not be possible. I also would like to
> imagine that this bug would have been eliminated with SP1.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Pete

Hobbes

On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 20:31:28 -0500, N Brown wrote:

> Yea nut how long would it take me to get an Audio \Video masterpiece
> setup, playing and editing on Linux? Oh
> and run Crysis MOHA, Qauke 4, Turok 2008, Etc.

Ubuntu has a Yahtzee like game called Tali.

Good thing I have an SLI set-up

--
Hobbes, Tiger Extraordinaire

Mick Murphy

Hi Bill. I was in a hurry and misread the Header.
Not too many people post here about 16G of RAM!
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"Bill Yanaire" wrote:

> I don't think there was an issue with hard drive space at all.
>
> He was talking about RAM.
>

> "Mick Murphy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919183
> >
> > It is recommended minimum 20G HD, with 15 free for install.
> > --
> > Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia
> >

> > "Peter de B. Harrington" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi:
> >>
> >> I am building a system for numerical computation. I am using a ECS
> >> P45T-A
> >> LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard with 4 memory slots and the OCZ
> >> 16
> >> GB DDR2 800 Quad Kit. I would like to know in advance will Vista
> >> Ultimate
> >> SP1 be installable on this system?
> >>
> >> The reason I asked is that I read reports that Vista has a bug that
> >> prevents
> >> it from installing on systems populated with more than 2 GBs of RAM. The
> >> work around is to remove all but 2 GBs and then install, but clearly in
> >> this
> >> case that will not be possible. I also would like to imagine that this
> >> bug
> >> would have been eliminated with SP1.
> >>
> >> Thanks in advance,
> >>
> >> Pete

Tom Lake

> I am building a system for numerical computation. I am using a ECS P45T-A
> LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard with 4 memory slots and the OCZ 16
> GB DDR2 800 Quad Kit. I would like to know in advance will Vista Ultimate
> SP1 be installable on this system?
>
> The reason I asked is that I read reports that Vista has a bug that
> prevents it from installing on systems populated with more than 2 GBs of
> RAM.

They're wrong. I've installed Vista Ultimate 64 on many 8 GB systems with
no problem.

Tom Lake

Paul Montgomery

On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 12:53:45 -0400, "Tom Lake"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> The reason I asked is that I read reports that Vista has a bug that
>> prevents it from installing on systems populated with more than 2 GBs of
>> RAM.

>They're wrong. I've installed Vista Ultimate 64 on many 8 GB systems with
>no problem.

Still, there are others who have had problems.

Curious

The problems however all appear to be MOBO or memory related and not Vista
related.
1. The BIOS may not be up to date,
2. Some MOBOs will support no more than 8GB.
3. Memory from different manufacturers have different rated speeds and
require different amount of current to run properly.
a. Some dims draw too much current and fail unless the MOBO memory
voltage is increased if 4 dims are installed.
b. Some MOBOS can not support all installed dims running at rated
speed and the speed has to be reduced
For this reason it often recommended when installing Vista 64 bit that only
2GB be installed until the OS is running smoothly before the amount of
memory in the system is increased.

"Paul Montgomery" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 12:53:45 -0400, "Tom Lake"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>> The reason I asked is that I read reports that Vista has a bug that
>>> prevents it from installing on systems populated with more than 2 GBs of
>>> RAM.

>>They're wrong. I've installed Vista Ultimate 64 on many 8 GB systems with
>>no problem.

> Still, there are others who have had problems.

Pistol Pete

Thanks all for you replies, they were helpful so I will proceed as planned.

For what its worth, I did consider running Ubantu Linux, but ultimately we
would need to connect remotely to this box (no display, keyboard, or mouse).
All our clients are XP machines at the moment. The problem with Linux is
the connectivity issues between Windows and Linux. I am unaware of any free
X-term emulators and concerned that they will not be so robust. I have used
PC-Xware in the past and found many bugs and problems.

If you have Linux advice, you may email me directly.

Best wishes,

Pete

"Curious >" <<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The problems however all appear to be MOBO or memory related and not Vista
> related.
> 1. The BIOS may not be up to date,
> 2. Some MOBOs will support no more than 8GB.
> 3. Memory from different manufacturers have different rated speeds and
> require different amount of current to run properly.
> a. Some dims draw too much current and fail unless the MOBO memory
> voltage is increased if 4 dims are installed.
> b. Some MOBOS can not support all installed dims running at rated
> speed and the speed has to be reduced
> For this reason it often recommended when installing Vista 64 bit that
> only 2GB be installed until the OS is running smoothly before the amount
> of memory in the system is increased.
>
> "Paul Montgomery" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...

>>>They're wrong. I've installed Vista Ultimate 64 on many 8 GB systems
>>>with
>>>no problem.

>> Still, there are others who have had problems.

Tom Lake

"Paul Montgomery" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 12:53:45 -0400, "Tom Lake"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>> The reason I asked is that I read reports that Vista has a bug that
>>> prevents it from installing on systems populated with more than 2 GBs of
>>> RAM.

>>They're wrong. I've installed Vista Ultimate 64 on many 8 GB systems with
>>no problem.

> Still, there are others who have had problems.

Yes there are but the people who say Vista CAN'T be installed on systems
with more than 2 GB are clearly wrong if it can be installed on even one system
with more than 2 GB. When an absolute statement is made, it only takes one
counter-example to prove the statement false.

Tom Lake