Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Laptop to Laptop with ATT LapConnect

Laptop to Laptop with ATT LapConnect

Benedictum

I have a laptop with ATT lapConnect which has internet access. I would like
to connect another laptop to this laptop wirelessly and share internet
connection. How do I configure this sharing mechanism?

Lem

Benedictum wrote:
> I have a laptop with ATT lapConnect which has internet access. I would like
> to connect another laptop to this laptop wirelessly and share internet
> connection. How do I configure this sharing mechanism?

The same way you would go about sharing any other Internet connection.
You have two choices (both assume that each laptop has wifi capability
and that you're using Windows XP):

1. Get a wireless router that can connect to the broadband source. For
example, the Linksys WRT54G3G-AT is an 802.11g wifi router that accepts
AT&T broadband wireless cards. (I'm not associated with Linksys and
have no opinion about the merits, pro or con, of this device. It's just
an example.) This piece of hardware is not particularly inexpensive, but
IMHO, using a router to share an Internet connection is far more
preferable than option 2. If you take this option, make sure that your
AT&T broadband card is supported by whatever router you choose. Here's
the WRT54G3G-AT page: http://tinyurl.com/6nmsfc

2. Enable Windows Internet Connection Sharing. The catch is that you
will have to set up an "ad hoc" wireless connection between the laptops.
If you're using XP, only the extremely weak WEP encryption is
available for ad hoc wireless networks. Vista enables WPA2.

See http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...tup/adhoc.mspx

For basic ICS setup, see this article by MVP Steve Winograd:
http://practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_ics/

--
Lem -- MS-MVP

Efficiency of if (domElem.att!=newVal) domElem.att=newVal Csaba Gabor Javascript 2 05-04-2006 01:45 AM
Att. Ben Smith or NNTP Server Admin Mike T. MCSE 10 07-28-2005 02:07 PM
External Entity in Att Value: Why Forbidden? Douglas Reith XML 11 10-01-2003 01:03 AM
Att Mike billydee Computer Support 1 09-12-2003 08:54 PM
Showing all e-mails on att. site Martha Schmidt Computer Support 1 09-02-2003 12:46 PM

Advertisments