Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Horizontal scrolling

Horizontal scrolling

ofiras

Hi everyone,
I made a table in html, and I wrote in the left <td> width = 300, in
the middle <td>, width=70% and in the right <td>, width = 300, but
they all squeeze when the middle <td> has to get bigger to contain all
context. It's like the page don't want to be scrolled horizontally.
How can I make my <td>'s stay in the width I stated no matter what,
even if the page will have to have horizontal scrolling?
Please help,
Ofir.

dorayme

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)>,
ofiras <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
> I made a table in html, and I wrote in the left <td> width = 300, in
> the middle <td>, width=70% and in the right <td>, width = 300, but
> they all squeeze when the middle <td> has to get bigger to contain all
> context. It's like the page don't want to be scrolled horizontally.
> How can I make my <td>'s stay in the width I stated no matter what,
> even if the page will have to have horizontal scrolling?
> Please help,

You want three cells in a row with the outside ones at 300px and the
middle one to take up 70% of something. 70% of the whole table, let's
say. OK. But what is the table width so that the poor browser can
calculate what to make the middle cell?

Let's just imagine you set 100% for the width of the table itself,
meaning, roughly, 100% of the browser window's width, whatever it
happens to be.

<http://dorayme.890m.com/alt/squabblingCells.html>

If the browser window happened to be 2000px wide, since 70% of 2000 is
1400px, there is 600 left. The side cells would be happy. Under 2000,
they would fight over what is left if the browser gives the middl cell
priority. Over 2000, it is cream on the cake for hungry side cells but
maybe not for the author.

This might do you:

<http://dorayme.890m.com/alt/happyCellsButMiserableUser.html>

--
dorayme

ofiras

On 14 אוגוסט, 11:03, dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In article
> <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>
> *ofiras <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> > I made a table in html, and I wrote in the left <td> width = 300, in
> > the middle <td>, width=70% and in the right <td>, width = 300, but
> > they all squeeze when the middle <td> has to get bigger to contain all
> > context. It's like the page don't want to be scrolled horizontally.
> > How can I make my <td>'s stay in the width I stated no matter what,
> > even if the page will have to have horizontal scrolling?
> > Please help,

> You want three cells in a row with the outside ones at 300px and the
> middle one to take up 70% of something. 70% of the whole table, let's
> say. OK. But what is the table width so that the poor browser can
> calculate what to make the middle cell?
>
> Let's just imagine you set 100% for the width of the table itself,
> meaning, roughly, 100% of the browser window's width, whatever it
> happens to be. *
>
> <http://dorayme.890m.com/alt/squabblingCells.html>
>
> If the browser window happened to be 2000px wide, since 70% of 2000 is
> 1400px, there is 600 left. The side cells would be happy. Under 2000,
> they would fight over what is left if the browser gives the middl cell
> priority. Over 2000, it is cream on the cake for hungry side cells but
> maybe not for the author.
>
> This might do you:
>
> <http://dorayme.890m.com/alt/happyCellsButMiserableUser.html>
>
> --
> dorayme

Thanks, I didn't get exactly what I want, but I guess I'll use it,
it's ok for what I want to do.
Ofir.

ofiras

On 14 אוגוסט, 11:33, ofiras <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 14 אוגוסט, 11:03, dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> > In article
> > <(E-Mail Removed)>,

> > *ofiras <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > > Hi everyone,
> > > I made a table in html, and I wrote in the left <td> width = 300, in
> > > the middle <td>, width=70% and in the right <td>, width = 300, but
> > > they all squeeze when the middle <td> has to get bigger to contain all
> > > context. It's like the page don't want to be scrolled horizontally.
> > > How can I make my <td>'s stay in the width I stated no matter what,
> > > even if the page will have to have horizontal scrolling?
> > > Please help,

> > You want three cells in a row with the outside ones at 300px and the
> > middle one to take up 70% of something. 70% of the whole table, let's
> > say. OK. But what is the table width so that the poor browser can
> > calculate what to make the middle cell?

> > Let's just imagine you set 100% for the width of the table itself,
> > meaning, roughly, 100% of the browser window's width, whatever it
> > happens to be. *

> > <http://dorayme.890m.com/alt/squabblingCells.html>

> > If the browser window happened to be 2000px wide, since 70% of 2000 is
> > 1400px, there is 600 left. The side cells would be happy. Under 2000,
> > they would fight over what is left if the browser gives the middl cell
> > priority. Over 2000, it is cream on the cake for hungry side cells but
> > maybe not for the author.

> > This might do you:

> > <http://dorayme.890m.com/alt/happyCellsButMiserableUser.html>

> > --
> > dorayme

> Thanks, I didn't get exactly what I want, but I guess I'll use it,
> it's ok for what I want to do.
> Ofir.

Apparently it's not ok... I set the width of the table to 1500, and
gave the cells the widths - 300,900,300. Still, when the context of
the middle cell is getting out of the cell's width, the other cells
squeeze. How can I make my table to be at the width of the combined
width of the cells?
Please help,
Ofir.

+mrcakey

"ofiras" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
On 14 ??????, 11:33, ofiras <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 14 ??????, 11:03, dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> > In article
> > <(E-Mail Removed)>,

> > ofiras <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > > Hi everyone,
> > > I made a table in html, and I wrote in the left <td> width = 300, in
> > > the middle <td>, width=70% and in the right <td>, width = 300, but
> > > they all squeeze when the middle <td> has to get bigger to contain all
> > > context. It's like the page don't want to be scrolled horizontally.
> > > How can I make my <td>'s stay in the width I stated no matter what,
> > > even if the page will have to have horizontal scrolling?
> > > Please help,

> > You want three cells in a row with the outside ones at 300px and the
> > middle one to take up 70% of something. 70% of the whole table, let's
> > say. OK. But what is the table width so that the poor browser can
> > calculate what to make the middle cell?

> > Let's just imagine you set 100% for the width of the table itself,
> > meaning, roughly, 100% of the browser window's width, whatever it
> > happens to be.

> > <http://dorayme.890m.com/alt/squabblingCells.html>

> > If the browser window happened to be 2000px wide, since 70% of 2000 is
> > 1400px, there is 600 left. The side cells would be happy. Under 2000,
> > they would fight over what is left if the browser gives the middl cell
> > priority. Over 2000, it is cream on the cake for hungry side cells but
> > maybe not for the author.

> > This might do you:

> > <http://dorayme.890m.com/alt/happyCellsButMiserableUser.html>

> > --
> > dorayme

> Thanks, I didn't get exactly what I want, but I guess I'll use it,
> it's ok for what I want to do.
> Ofir.

-Apparently it's not ok... I set the width of the table to 1500, and
-gave the cells the widths - 300,900,300. Still, when the context of
-the middle cell is getting out of the cell's width, the other cells
-squeeze. How can I make my table to be at the width of the combined
-width of the cells?
-Please help,
-Ofir.

It would be most helpful if you gave us a link and then we could see exactly
what you were doing.

+mrcakey

dorayme

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)>,
ofiras <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > > You want three cells in a row with the outside ones at 300px and the
> > > middle one to take up 70% of something. 70% of the whole table, let's
> > > say. OK. But what is the table width so that the poor browser can
> > > calculate what to make the middle cell?

> > > Let's just imagine you set 100% for the width of the table itself,
> > > meaning, roughly, 100% of the browser window's width, whatever it
> > > happens to be. *

> > > <http://dorayme.890m.com/alt/squabblingCells.html>

> > > If the browser window happened to be 2000px wide, since 70% of 2000 is
> > > 1400px, there is 600 left. The side cells would be happy. Under 2000,
> > > they would fight over what is left if the browser gives the middl cell
> > > priority. Over 2000, it is cream on the cake for hungry side cells but
> > > maybe not for the author.

> > > This might do you:

> > > <http://dorayme.890m.com/alt/happyCellsButMiserableUser.html>

> > > --
> > > dorayme

> > Thanks, I didn't get exactly what I want, but I guess I'll use it,
> > it's ok for what I want to do.
> > Ofir.

> Apparently it's not ok... I set the width of the table to 1500, and
> gave the cells the widths - 300,900,300. Still, when the context of
> the middle cell is getting out of the cell's width, the other cells
> squeeze. How can I make my table to be at the width of the combined
> width of the cells?
> Please help,
> Ofir.

In Safari 3, FF 2, iCab, you get what you want, I guess with:

<http://dorayme.890m.com/alt/setPxWidthTable.html>

but not with Opera. Opera, at least my Opera, gives 300px to the left
cell and 300px to the right cell but makes up its own mind about the
middle one, ignoring the 1500px spec for the table. Opera shows some
gumption!

Specifying the 70% for the middle as well to give some sort of
unmistakable message is a disastrous complication.

What really are you trying to do? Please tell us the real purpose, the
sort of webpage it is about etc, a URL would be good and this way we
might suggest how best to tackle the issue you face so it is happy in
almost all browsers. Making these particular conditions is just giving
us things to have fun with... <g>

--
dorayme

ofiras

On 14 אוגוסט, 12:26, dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In article
> <(E-Mail Removed)>,

> > > Thanks, I didn't get exactly what I want, but I guess I'll use it,
> > > it's ok for what I want to do.
> > > Ofir.

> > Apparently it's not ok... I set the width of the table to 1500, and
> > gave the cells the widths - 300,900,300. Still, when the context of
> > the middle cell is getting out of the cell's width, the other cells
> > squeeze. How can I make my table to be at the width of the combined
> > width of the cells?
> > Please help,
> > Ofir.

> In Safari 3, FF 2, iCab, you get what you want, I guess with:
>
> <http://dorayme.890m.com/alt/setPxWidthTable.html>
>
> but not with Opera. Opera, at least my Opera, gives 300px to the left
> cell and 300px to the right cell but makes up its own mind about the
> middle one, ignoring the 1500px spec for the table. Opera shows some
> gumption!
>
> Specifying the 70% for the middle as well to give some sort of
> unmistakable message is a disastrous complication.
>
> What really are you trying to do? Please tell us the real purpose, the
> sort of webpage it is about etc, a URL would be good and this way we
> might suggest how best to tackle the issue you face so it is happy in
> almost all browsers. Making these particular conditions is just giving
> us things to have fun with... <g>
>
> --
> dorayme

Ok, this is the html as it is when everything is ok:
http://testweb101.awardspace.com/index1.html
This is what I don't want to happen: http://testweb101.awardspace.com/index2.html
In the second one the side td's are squeezed. I want them to stay in
the same width I stated which is 300.

Neredbojias

On 14 Aug 2008, ofiras <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> > Apparently it's not ok... I set the width of the table to 1500, and
>> > gave the cells the widths - 300,900,300. Still, when the context of
>> > the middle cell is getting out of the cell's width, the other cells
>> > squeeze. How can I make my table to be at the width of the combined
>> > width of the cells?
>> > Please help,
>> > Ofir.

>> In Safari 3, FF 2, iCab, you get what you want, I guess with:
>>
>> <http://dorayme.890m.com/alt/setPxWidthTable.html>
>>
>> but not with Opera. Opera, at least my Opera, gives 300px to the left
>> cell and 300px to the right cell but makes up its own mind about the
>> middle one, ignoring the 1500px spec for the table. Opera shows some
>> gumption!
>>
>> Specifying the 70% for the middle as well to give some sort of
>> unmistakable message is a disastrous complication.
>>
>> What really are you trying to do? Please tell us the real purpose, the
>> sort of webpage it is about etc, a URL would be good and this way we
>> might suggest how best to tackle the issue you face so it is happy in
>> almost all browsers. Making these particular conditions is just giving
>> us things to have fun with... <g>
>>
>> --
>> dorayme

> Ok, this is the html as it is when everything is ok:
> http://testweb101.awardspace.com/index1.html
> This is what I don't want to happen:
> http://testweb101.awardspace.com/index2.html In the second one the side
> td's are squeezed. I want them to stay in the same width I stated which
> is 300.

The div which wraps the (entire) contents of the middle cell should have -

style="width:900px;overflow:hidden;"

--
Neredbojias
http://www.neredbojias.net/

ofiras

On 14 אוגוסט, 23:15, Neredbojias <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> In Safari 3, FF 2, iCab, you get what you want, I guess with:

> >> <http://dorayme.890m.com/alt/setPxWidthTable.html>

> >> but not with Opera. Opera, at least my Opera, gives 300px to the left
> >> cell and 300px to the right cell but makes up its own mind about the
> >> middle one, ignoring the 1500px spec for the table. Opera shows some
> >> gumption!

> >> Specifying the 70% for the middle as well to give some sort of
> >> unmistakable message is a disastrous complication.

> >> What really are you trying to do? Please tell us the real purpose, the
> >> sort of webpage it is about etc, a URL would be good and this way we
> >> might suggest how best to tackle the issue you face so it is happy in
> >> almost all browsers. Making these particular conditions is just giving
> >> us things to have fun with... <g>

> >> --
> >> dorayme

> > Ok, this is the html as it is when everything is ok:
> >http://testweb101.awardspace.com/index1.html
> > This is what I don't want to happen:
> >http://testweb101.awardspace.com/index2.htmlIn the second one the side
> > td's are squeezed. I want them to stay in the same width I stated which
> > is 300.

> The div which wraps the (entire) contents of the middle cell should have -
>
> style="width:900px;overflow:hidden;"
>
> --
> Neredbojiashttp://www.neredbojias.net/
> Great Sights and Sounds
> Fmail for p/w for Specials

but I still won't to see the hole word, I want the cells to be at
least the width I wrote, unless there is something like the ling word
I wrote, and then the cell gets bigger, while the other cells stay the
same - I won't the table width to be the combined width of all cells
(the real width that we see - if one cell is bigger, then the table
need to get bigger at the same amount of pixels the cell got big.)

dorayme

In article* ‬
*<‬(E-Mail Removed)*>,‬
* ‬ofiras* <‬(E-Mail Removed)*> ‬wrote*:‬

*> ‬but I still won't to see the hole word*, ‬I want the cells to be at
*> ‬least the width I wrote*, ‬unless there is something like the ling word
*> ‬I wrote*, ‬and then the cell gets bigger*, ‬while the other cells stay the
*> ‬same* - ‬I won't the table width to be the combined width of all cells
*> (‬the real width that we see* - ‬if one cell is bigger*, ‬then the table
*> ‬need to get bigger at the same amount of pixels the cell got big*.)‬

What width do you want the table to be*? ‬Please supply a pixel amount or* ‬
a percentage amount*. (‬to keep it simple*). ‬If you supply a* % ‬remember* ‬
that it is the percent of the container inwhich the table is in*. ‬If the* ‬
table is loose in body and body fill the window width*, ‬then it is a* ‬
percent of the browser window*.‬

Next*, ‬you want 3* ‬cells*. ‬You want the first cell to be 300px and the last* ‬
to be 300px*. ‬What do you want the middle cell to be*? ‬I explained in my* ‬
first post with URL illustration why there is a difficulty*. ‬So what do* ‬
you want*?‬

*-- ‬
dorayme

DIV Horizontal Scrolling Very Slow =?Utf-8?B?RWR1YXJk?= ASP .Net 2 01-25-2006 08:16 PM
auto scrolling horizontal scroll bar ray well ASP .Net 2 04-05-2005 04:00 PM
Disable horizontal scrolling Just D. ASP .Net 2 02-17-2005 08:25 PM
Horizontal Scrolling Just D. ASP .Net 0 02-14-2005 07:36 AM
Scrolling Behaviour with Vertical and Horizontal Frames Matt Rapoport HTML 3 10-08-2004 07:21 AM

Advertisments