Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Why do Xtra and ihug DNS servers take 30 seconds?

Why do Xtra and ihug DNS servers take 30 seconds?

Matty F

Why are the xtra and ihug DNS servers so damn slow?
Regularly I and others have to wait around 30 seconds before I get a
response to any webpage that I want to see. That is, except the web
pages that have a numeric IP address and load instantly.

EMB

Matty F wrote:
> Why are the xtra and ihug DNS servers so damn slow?
> Regularly I and others have to wait around 30 seconds before I get a
> response to any webpage that I want to see. That is, except the web
> pages that have a numeric IP address and load instantly.

Why would you use ihug's DNS servers when connected to xtra's network?

Matty F

On Aug 14, 7:31 pm, EMB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Matty F wrote:
> > Why are the xtra and ihug DNS servers so damn slow?
> > Regularly I and others have to wait around 30 seconds before I get a
> > response to any webpage that I want to see. That is, except the web
> > pages that have a numeric IP address and load instantly.

> Why would you use ihug's DNS servers when connected to xtra's network?

A friend uses ihug and has similar 30 second delays.

EMB

Matty F wrote:
> On Aug 14, 7:31 pm, EMB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Matty F wrote:
>>> Why are the xtra and ihug DNS servers so damn slow?
>>> Regularly I and others have to wait around 30 seconds before I get a
>>> response to any webpage that I want to see. That is, except the web
>>> pages that have a numeric IP address and load instantly.

>> Why would you use ihug's DNS servers when connected to xtra's network?

> A friend uses ihug and has similar 30 second delays.

Assuming you're using Windows, go to a DOS prompt and type

ipconfig/all

and post back here what the DNS servers it lists are.

If there is a non-responsive server listed there will be a timeout of
about 30 seconds before it tries the next server listed.

Dave Taylor

Matty F <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:e66d8bff-f952-47e5-a511-

> Why are the xtra and ihug DNS servers so damn slow?
> Regularly I and others have to wait around 30 seconds before I get a
> response to any webpage that I want to see. That is, except the web
> pages that have a numeric IP address and load instantly.

You could try Opendns?

--
Ciao, Dave

Matty F

On Aug 14, 8:27 pm, EMB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Matty F wrote:
> >> Why would you use ihug's DNS servers when connected to xtra's network?

> > A friend uses ihug and has similar 30 second delays.

> Assuming you're using Windows, go to a DOS prompt and type
>
> ipconfig/all
>
> and post back here what the DNS servers it lists are.
>
> If there is a non-responsive server listed there will be a timeout of
> about 30 seconds before it tries the next server listed.

Yes I am using Windows, which I hate.
"Cannot find the file 'ipconfig/all' or one of its components."
I can see this is going to take some time.
However I can see ipconfig.exe in C:/WINDOWS

EMB

Matty F wrote:
> On Aug 14, 8:27 pm, EMB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Matty F wrote:
>>> A friend uses ihug and has similar 30 second delays.

>> Assuming you're using Windows, go to a DOS prompt and type
>>
>> ipconfig/all
>>
>> and post back here what the DNS servers it lists are.
>>
>> If there is a non-responsive server listed there will be a timeout of
>> about 30 seconds before it tries the next server listed.

> Yes I am using Windows, which I hate.
> "Cannot find the file 'ipconfig/all' or one of its components."
> I can see this is going to take some time.
> However I can see ipconfig.exe in C:/WINDOWS

ok... I'll clarify.

Start --> Run and type cmd in the resultant space and press enter.

A black DOS screen with a command prompt should pop up.

in this box type

ipconfig /all

and press enter

A fsair bit of drivel should result including a list of DNS servers.
That's the bit we are interested in that you should post here. If it
scrools off the screen the up arrow key should scroll back to it.

When you've finished reading in the DOS window type

exit

and press the enter key to close it.

If you're still confused drop me an email and I'll see what I can do to
help.

Matty F

On Aug 14, 9:24 pm, Freesias <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Aug 2008 02:11:28 -0700, Matty F wrote:

> >> Assuming you're using Windows, go to a DOS prompt and type

> >> ipconfig/all

> >> and post back here what the DNS servers it lists are.

> >> If there is a non-responsive server listed there will be a timeout of
> >> about 30 seconds before it tries the next server listed.

> > Yes I am using Windows, which I hate. "Cannot find the file
> > 'ipconfig/all' or one of its components." I can see this is going to
> > take some time. However I can see ipconfig.exe in C:/WINDOWS

> Here is a clue: go to a DOS prompt and type "ipconfig/all" (but without
> the quote marks obviously)

I'm using Win98SE.
Do you mean Start/Run/ipconfig/all?
In that case as I've said, I get the message "Cannot find the file
'ipconfig/all' or one of its components."
Clearly I need to somehow tell it to find ipconfig within the WINDOWS
directory. I've tried forward slashes and backward slashes. I've
already told you that I hate Windows. I learn the absolute minimum to
get it to work.

Matty F

On Aug 14, 9:28 pm, EMB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Matty F wrote:
> >> Assuming you're using Windows, go to a DOS prompt and type

> >> ipconfig/all

> >> and post back here what the DNS servers it lists are.

> >> If there is a non-responsive server listed there will be a timeout of
> >> about 30 seconds before it tries the next server listed.

> > Yes I am using Windows, which I hate.
> > "Cannot find the file 'ipconfig/all' or one of its components."
> > I can see this is going to take some time.
> > However I can see ipconfig.exe in C:/WINDOWS

> ok... I'll clarify.
>
> Start --> Run and type cmd in the resultant space and press enter.
>
> A black DOS screen with a command prompt should pop up.
> in this box type
>
> ipconfig /all
>
> and press enter
>
> A fsair bit of drivel should result including a list of DNS servers.
> That's the bit we are interested in that you should post here. If it
> scrools off the screen the up arrow key should scroll back to it.
>
> When you've finished reading in the DOS window type
>
> exit
>
> and press the enter key to close it.
>
> If you're still confused drop me an email and I'll see what I can do to
> help.

I have just searched Google for xtra dns servers, and have found a
page that allows me to check the DNS servers that I'm using.
"Disable DNS" was selected. I have selected "Enable DNS" and put in
the two xtra DNS servers and it seems to be working rather well.
My question is now, how has my system been working at all for the last
few years? None of those details has been changed on my computer since
I first joined xtra.

Matty F

On Aug 14, 9:28 pm, EMB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Matty F wrote:
> >> Assuming you're using Windows, go to a DOS prompt and type

> >> ipconfig/all

> >> and post back here what the DNS servers it lists are.

> >> If there is a non-responsive server listed there will be a timeout of
> >> about 30 seconds before it tries the next server listed.

> > Yes I am using Windows, which I hate.
> > "Cannot find the file 'ipconfig/all' or one of its components."
> > I can see this is going to take some time.
> > However I can see ipconfig.exe in C:/WINDOWS

> ok... I'll clarify.
>
> Start --> Run and type cmd in the resultant space and press enter.
>
> A black DOS screen with a command prompt should pop up.

No I get a message "Cannot find the file 'cmd" or one of its
components.