Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Responsive java application on windows ?

Responsive java application on windows ?

Guy

I have dealt recently with two java application on windows:
- InstallShield 11.5
- Aqua Data Studio 4.7.2

The interface of the InstalShield 11.5 is slow, ugly and not
responsive. But the Aqua Studio is much better. I did'nt thought it
was possible with the AWT or Swing library. How did they do it ?

One currious sign, if I use SnagIt to try to capture some sub windows
of Aqua Data, it grabs only the main window. Usually, any sub-windows
(list boxes, grid, editor) can be captured independently. As if they
have one main window, and they paint their own interface without
resorting to Windows window ?

Andrew Thompson

On Aug 13, 11:34*pm, Guy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> ...How did they do it ?

They probably failed to block the EDT (I have not
used either).

--
Andrew Thompson
http://pscode.org/

Guy

> By coding one's program incorrectly, one can make it ugly. *By coding it
> correctly, one can make it pretty. *Why in the world would Swing be different?

I thought I've read that Swing was monstuous, difficult to understand,
and dépassé ?

Andrew Thompson

On Aug 13, 11:58*pm, Guy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > By coding one's program incorrectly, one can make it ugly. *By coding it
> > correctly, one can make it pretty. *Why in the world would Swing be different?

> I thought I've read ..

Why not get back to us when you can be sure of an URL
(or ISBN)?

>..that Swing was monstuous, difficult to understand,
> and dépassé ?

Many things are written, but only some of the
things that are written, are correct.

...Or should we start quoting Leviticus?

--
Andrew Thompson
http://pscode.org/

Guy

> This article explain the advantages and the disavantages of each one of
> them:
>
> * * SWT, Swing or AWT: Which is right for you?
> * *http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/gr...y/os-swingswt/

Nice! Thanks for the brain upgrade...

Lew

and Guy wrote:
> I thought I've read that Swing was monstuous, difficult to understand,
> and dépassé [sic] ? [sic]

Slanderous lies.

--
Lew

Arne Vajhřj

Guy wrote:
> I have dealt recently with two java application on windows:
> - InstallShield 11.5
> - Aqua Data Studio 4.7.2
>
> The interface of the InstalShield 11.5 is slow, ugly and not
> responsive. But the Aqua Studio is much better. I did'nt thought it
> was possible with the AWT or Swing library. How did they do it ?

If the PC is sufficient powerful, then the user experience
depends on the programmer writing the GUI and how much
time he/she has to do the job.

Arne