Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > More fun with the Leica M8

Reply
Thread Tools

More fun with the Leica M8

 
 
B÷wser
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-13-2008
OK, I think it's time to nominate the Leica M8 as "Turkey of the Decade."

http://photo.net/leica-rangefinders-forum/00QTrU

Aparently, if you mount this thing on a tripod and shoot vertically, it
falls apart. Yes, really.

My sympathies to any of you who shelled out $5K for this trash.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Hap S.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-13-2008
On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 08:51:11 -0400, B÷wser <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>OK, I think it's time to nominate the Leica M8 as "Turkey of the Decade."
>
>http://photo.net/leica-rangefinders-forum/00QTrU
>
>Aparently, if you mount this thing on a tripod and shoot vertically, it
>falls apart. Yes, really.
>
>My sympathies to any of you who shelled out $5K for this trash.


The more detailed thread with photos of more camera body failures (and other
camera problems, focusing, color-balance, IR filter errors, etc.):
http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-...e-failure.html


As they say, "You get what you pay for!"

In this day and age never has that been a greater lie. Example: I've tested many
makes and prices of polarizers in the past, tested against lab-grade polarizer
material. Some of the $10 generic polarizers easily surpass the $90 top-shelf
brand-name filters. The average purchaser just sees the brand-name and
outrageous price and assumes it must be the best. They don't have the
intelligence nor foresight in how to easily test them for polarizing strength
and homogeneity.

The only thing that is true today is "A fool and his money are soon parted." You
can tell which ones they are, they're the ones who are always running around
yelling, "You get what you pay for!"
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
ransley
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-13-2008
On Aug 13, 7:51*am, B÷wser <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> OK, I think it's time to nominate the Leica M8 as "Turkey of the Decade."
>
> http://photo.net/leica-rangefinders-forum/00QTrU
>
> Aparently, if you mount this thing on a tripod and shoot vertically, it
> falls apart. Yes, really.
>
> My sympathies to any of you who shelled out $5K for this trash.


Didnt that camera also have issues with purple discolorations.
 
Reply With Quote
 
B§wser
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-13-2008

"ransley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
On Aug 13, 7:51 am, B÷wser <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> OK, I think it's time to nominate the Leica M8 as "Turkey of the Decade."
>
> http://photo.net/leica-rangefinders-forum/00QTrU
>
> Aparently, if you mount this thing on a tripod and shoot vertically, it
> falls apart. Yes, really.
>
> My sympathies to any of you who shelled out $5K for this trash.


>Didnt that camera also have issues with purple discolorations.


Yes, the IR filter in front of the sensor is far too weak, so in order to
record accurate colors, you'll need a hot filter on each and every lens. But
Leica will give you two of them! Isn't that precious? Spend $5K on a camera,
and they'll provide a couple of filters to cover an obvious defect.

 
Reply With Quote
 
ransley
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-13-2008
On Aug 13, 2:07*pm, B§wser <(E-Mail Removed)0m> wrote:
> "ransley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Aug 13, 7:51 am, B÷wser <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > OK, I think it's time to nominate the Leica M8 as "Turkey of the Decade.."

>
> >http://photo.net/leica-rangefinders-forum/00QTrU

>
> > Aparently, if you mount this thing on a tripod and shoot vertically, it
> > falls apart. Yes, really.

>
> > My sympathies to any of you who shelled out $5K for this trash.
> >Didnt that camera also have issues with purple discolorations.

>
> Yes, the IR filter in front of the sensor is far too weak, so in order to
> record accurate colors, you'll need a hot filter on each and every lens. But
> Leica will give you two of them! Isn't that precious? Spend $5K on a camera,
> and they'll provide a couple of filters to cover an obvious defect.


And the price for an extra filter is something outragous like 350 US.
I cant figure out how they can actualy sell any cameras at those
prices and stay in business, some of their models are simply upgraded
Panasonics, all are overpriced by many times and the dumb design-
performance issues. I wanted one, once, till I read reviews and heard
of the issues.
 
Reply With Quote
 
B÷wser
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-14-2008

"Rita Berkowitz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> B÷wser wrote:
>
>> OK, I think it's time to nominate the Leica M8 as "Turkey of the
>> Decade."
>> http://photo.net/leica-rangefinders-forum/00QTrU
>>
>> Aparently, if you mount this thing on a tripod and shoot vertically,
>> it falls apart. Yes, really.
>>
>> My sympathies to any of you who shelled out $5K for this trash.

>
> Totally irrelevant! Like really, who would buy anything other than a
> Nikon,
> other than a dumbass?


I agree, even Nikons are purchased by dumbasses. Sometimes.

 
Reply With Quote
 
ransley
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-14-2008
On Aug 13, 7:24*pm, "Rita Berkowitz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> B÷wser wrote:
> > OK, I think it's time to nominate the Leica M8 as "Turkey of the
> > Decade."
> >http://photo.net/leica-rangefinders-forum/00QTrU

>
> > Aparently, if you mount this thing on a tripod and shoot vertically,
> > it falls apart. Yes, really.

>
> > My sympathies to any of you who shelled out $5K for this trash.

>
> Totally irrelevant! *Like really, who would buy anything other than a Nikon,
> other than a dumbass?
>
> Rita
> --
> Stamping out Internet stupidity one idiot at a time. *Never empower the
> idiot, embrace it and stimulate it. *For more details go to the Usenet
> Stimulus Project page.
>
> http://ritaberk.myhosting247.com


Your posts continue to prove you need to be kill filed. You are the
one that posts internet stupidity.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Dave Cohen
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-15-2008
ransley wrote:
> On Aug 13, 7:24 pm, "Rita Berkowitz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> B÷wser wrote:
>>> OK, I think it's time to nominate the Leica M8 as "Turkey of the
>>> Decade."
>>> http://photo.net/leica-rangefinders-forum/00QTrU
>>> Aparently, if you mount this thing on a tripod and shoot vertically,
>>> it falls apart. Yes, really.
>>> My sympathies to any of you who shelled out $5K for this trash.

>> Totally irrelevant! Like really, who would buy anything other than a Nikon,
>> other than a dumbass?
>>
>> Rita
>> --
>> Stamping out Internet stupidity one idiot at a time. Never empower the
>> idiot, embrace it and stimulate it. For more details go to the Usenet
>> Stimulus Project page.
>>
>> http://ritaberk.myhosting247.com

>
> Your posts continue to prove you need to be kill filed. You are the
> one that posts internet stupidity.


I disagree, I once owned a Leica, if memory servers me correctly is was
a IIIc. Never took a picture with it, I inherited it from my father but
a better motor bike was more in line with my tastes than photography at
that time (1953).
The point is that Leica, together with Contax and other pre-wwII German
cameras were tops, arguably Leica being the top of the tops.
But today things are different, yes both Leica and Zeiss lenses are
still excellent, but so are many others with cameras to match. The Leica
thing is nostalgia and bloody expensive nostalgia at that, and if
performance doesn't match the price then who needs it. Pointing that out
is not internet stupidity. Rita may be controversial but hardly stupid.
Dave Cohen
 
Reply With Quote
 
ransley
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-15-2008
On Aug 15, 1:56*am, "David J. Littleboy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "Dave Cohen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > The point is that Leica, together with Contax and other pre-wwII German
> > cameras were tops, arguably Leica being the top of the tops.

>
> They still are. In terms of putting images on film, the current Leica and
> Zeiss Ikon (and discontinued Contax G) rangefinder lenses are the best
> lenses you can find in focal lengths up to 90mm. The Contax and Leica R SLR
> lenses are nearly as good.
>
> Nikon and Canon are a distant second. Which is why people with gobs of money
> put Leica R and Contax/Zeiss SLR lenses on their dSLRs, at gross cost.
> (Actually, the new Zeiss lenses for the Nikon dSLRs aren't all that
> expensive, and work on Canon with an adapter.)
>
> > But today things are different, yes both Leica and Zeiss lenses are still
> > excellent, but so are many others with cameras to match. The Leica thing
> > is nostalgia and bloody expensive nostalgia at that, and if performance
> > doesn't match the price then who needs it.

>
> The last 10% of performance always costs more than the first 90%.
> Diminishing returns.
>
> Leica messed up big time with the M8. Arrogance on their part, I'd guess.
> But the lenses are as good as it gets.
>
> --
> David J. Littleboy
> Tokyo, Japan


DJL so a Zeiss can work on a Canon with an adapter, is there increased
image quality compared to Canon lenses, what do you use with your 5d.
 
Reply With Quote
 
michael adams
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-15-2008

"Alan Browne" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...

: Too bad, the M6 and prior Leica's were favoured by combat correspondents
: and photogs for their reliability, simplicity, compactness not to
: mention image quality.

Indeed.

All Leica were trying to do was try and maintain the qualities
for which they've always been renowed, in the face of the totally
different demands being made on the familiar body shape by digital
reproduction.

It's not particularly edyifying to watch people jumpimg up and down
in glee over their failure, in what's turned out to be a difficult if not
impossible task.

Yes it cost far too much, yes it turned out to be a pile of crap,
yes Leica were the Nazis camera of choice, but it was a noble enterprise
neverthless IMO.



michael adams

....





--
-- r.p.e.35mm user resource: http://www.aliasimages.com/rpe35mmur.htm
-- r.p.d.slr-systems: http://www.aliasimages.com/rpdslrsysur.htm
-- [SI] gallery & rulz: http://www.pbase.com/shootin
-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
-- usenet posts from gmail.com and googlemail.com are filtered out.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What is best (non-Leica) digital slr back for Leica R lenses? TJ Digital Photography 13 12-23-2007 10:46 PM
Is Lumix Leica real Leica? John Navas Digital Photography 1 11-18-2007 09:16 AM
3 PIX VPN questions - FUN FUN FUN frishack@gmail.com Cisco 3 03-16-2006 02:25 PM
Programming is not as much fun/more fun than it used to be. Andy Fish Java 65 05-18-2004 08:24 PM
Fun fun fun Luke Computer Support 3 10-07-2003 03:45 PM



Advertisments