Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Re: counting pixels

Re: counting pixels

Jasen Betts

On 2008-08-08, lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz <lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz> wrote:

> Is there a way of counting pixels of the same colour value ?

many (ppmhist would be one (part of netpbm))

> I want to compare the number of black pixels in a standard piece
> of text using different fonts in the same font size.

only the black ones? most of the software I use antialiases the fonts
so you get a number of grey ones too.

> Any suggestions ?
>
> Not Linux based please, unless an existing utility can be run on
> a bare-bones Linux installation. I'm not into command-line Linux,
> indeed, not into Linux at all.

netpbm's predecessor pbmplus was available for ms-dos.
there may be a windows version.

speculating on why you would want to do this I suggest you look at
aalib and the demo 'bb'.

Bye.
Jasen