Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Not Responding!!

Not Responding!!

Clayton

Over the last 6 months or so I have had to format and reinstall Vista 64
wSP-1 a few times due to programs not responding and I am unable to track
down the problem.
I'm trying to run programs, they do open then pauses for 10 - 15 seconds
when trying to close I get not responding then end process message and
trying to end process nothing happens. I can not do anything even
ctrl/alt/delete.
If I wait awhile things come back to normal until it happens again.
I have removed the AV software and is still the same, run chkdsk, virus &
malware scans all come back as ok.
Reading a few posts out there, people are saying it's a common problem.

cheers

Katy Pluta

On 8/12/08 7:31 AM, in article O3gF8#H$(E-Mail Removed),
"Clayton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Over the last 6 months or so I have had to format and reinstall Vista 64
> wSP-1 a few times due to programs not responding and I am unable to track
> down the problem.
> I'm trying to run programs, they do open then pauses for 10 - 15 seconds
> when trying to close I get not responding then end process message and
> trying to end process nothing happens. I can not do anything even
> ctrl/alt/delete.
> If I wait awhile things come back to normal until it happens again.
> I have removed the AV software and is still the same, run chkdsk, virus &
> malware scans all come back as ok.
> Reading a few posts out there, people are saying it's a common problem.
>
> cheers

Which programs are these? Re they always the same?

--
All the Best
Katy Pluta, G4W MVP

Clayton

Just random programs, nothing specific

"Katy Pluta" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:C4C716EE.13B2%(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 8/12/08 7:31 AM, in article O3gF8#H$(E-Mail Removed),
> "Clayton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Over the last 6 months or so I have had to format and reinstall Vista 64
>> wSP-1 a few times due to programs not responding and I am unable to track
>> down the problem.
>> I'm trying to run programs, they do open then pauses for 10 - 15 seconds
>> when trying to close I get not responding then end process message and
>> trying to end process nothing happens. I can not do anything even
>> ctrl/alt/delete.
>> If I wait awhile things come back to normal until it happens again.
>> I have removed the AV software and is still the same, run chkdsk, virus &
>> malware scans all come back as ok.
>> Reading a few posts out there, people are saying it's a common problem.
>>
>> cheers
>>

> Which programs are these? Re they always the same?
>
> --
> All the Best
> Katy Pluta, G4W MVP

Carlos

Clayton,
Does it happen immediately after a fresh install or does it take a couple of
days to show up?
Carlos

"Clayton" wrote:

> Just random programs, nothing specific
>

> "Katy Pluta" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:C4C716EE.13B2%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > On 8/12/08 7:31 AM, in article O3gF8#H$(E-Mail Removed),
> > "Clayton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> >> Over the last 6 months or so I have had to format and reinstall Vista 64
> >> wSP-1 a few times due to programs not responding and I am unable to track
> >> down the problem.
> >> I'm trying to run programs, they do open then pauses for 10 - 15 seconds
> >> when trying to close I get not responding then end process message and
> >> trying to end process nothing happens. I can not do anything even
> >> ctrl/alt/delete.
> >> If I wait awhile things come back to normal until it happens again.
> >> I have removed the AV software and is still the same, run chkdsk, virus &
> >> malware scans all come back as ok.
> >> Reading a few posts out there, people are saying it's a common problem.
> >>
> >> cheers
> >>

> > Which programs are these? Re they always the same?
> >
> > --
> > All the Best
> > Katy Pluta, G4W MVP

Clayton

takes a couple of weeks or so.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Clayton,
> Does it happen immediately after a fresh install or does it take a couple
> of
> days to show up?
> Carlos
>
> "Clayton" wrote:
>
>> Just random programs, nothing specific
>>

>> "Katy Pluta" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:C4C716EE.13B2%(E-Mail Removed)...

>> > Which programs are these? Re they always the same?
>> >
>> > --
>> > All the Best
>> > Katy Pluta, G4W MVP

Clayton

Also what else started happening Carlos was on start-up it wouldn't fully
load my desktop, I did a repair install and was ok after that, until I
restarted again, it did the same so I had to do a last known good
configuration everytime I restarted.
Just when you finally get your system running well, this happens.
Sounds like ghost in the machine.

"Clayton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:OXwpi%23L$(E-Mail Removed)...
> takes a couple of weeks or so.

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Clayton,
>> Does it happen immediately after a fresh install or does it take a couple
>> of
>> days to show up?
>> Carlos
>>
>> "Clayton" wrote:
>>
>>> Just random programs, nothing specific
>>>

>>> "Katy Pluta" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:C4C716EE.13B2%(E-Mail Removed)...

Carlos

Clayton,
Then there is "something" that gest installed in those couple of weeks that
needs being investigated.
You could also get some leads by checking the event viewer log.
Carlos

"Clayton" wrote:

> takes a couple of weeks or so.

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Clayton,
> > Does it happen immediately after a fresh install or does it take a couple
> > of
> > days to show up?
> > Carlos
> >
> > "Clayton" wrote:
> >
> >> Just random programs, nothing specific
> >>

> >> "Katy Pluta" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:C4C716EE.13B2%(E-Mail Removed)...

Clayton

ok thanks, if it is software related I'll track it down when it happens
again. hopefully removing the software will fix the problem, fingers
crossed. I did check the event viewer before I reinstalled but nothing stood
out as being a problem

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Clayton,
> Then there is "something" that gest installed in those couple of weeks
> that
> needs being investigated.
> You could also get some leads by checking the event viewer log.
> Carlos
>
> "Clayton" wrote:
>
>> takes a couple of weeks or so.

>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Clayton,
>> > Does it happen immediately after a fresh install or does it take a
>> > couple
>> > of
>> > days to show up?
>> > Carlos

PH

sounds like a bad copy of vista. sorry.

"Clayton" wrote:

> Over the last 6 months or so I have had to format and reinstall Vista 64
> wSP-1 a few times due to programs not responding and I am unable to track
> down the problem.
> I'm trying to run programs, they do open then pauses for 10 - 15 seconds
> when trying to close I get not responding then end process message and
> trying to end process nothing happens. I can not do anything even
> ctrl/alt/delete.
> If I wait awhile things come back to normal until it happens again.
> I have removed the AV software and is still the same, run chkdsk, virus &
> malware scans all come back as ok.
> Reading a few posts out there, people are saying it's a common problem.
>
> cheers

Clayton

I don't think so, used CDCheck to scan the DVD and all tested ok

news:(E-Mail Removed)...