Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Re: How to write a GUI-less page

Re: How to write a GUI-less page

Chris Jackson

There is certainly a way to do this, but I am wondering why you don't simply
implement a web service? The problem you are trying to solve is exactly the
problem that they address.

--
Chris Jackson
Software Engineer
"Alek Davis" <alek_DOT_davis_AT_intel_DOT_com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I need to implement a health check page as part of a Web site. This page

is
> supposed to be invoked programmatically from a script and it does not need
> any GUI. When the script attempts to access the page, it is supposed to
> query the HTTP status code (e.g. 200, 500, etc), to determine whether the
> operation was successful or not. So how can I programmatically make the

ASPX
> return a status code without generating any HTML output? I tried this:
>
> (1) Set EnableViewState="false" EnableViewStateMac="false" in the @Page
> directive of the ASPX
> (2) Set Response.StatusCode to the appropriate status code, e.g. 500 in

the
> Page_Load, followed by Response.End.
>
> This seems to work on one system (VS.NET 2002 used to build the project +
> VS.NET 2003 also installed + CLR 1.0 + CLR 1.1), i.e. when an error status
> code is returned, it is shown in the IE window. When I attempt to do the
> same on another system (VS.NET 2002 + CLR 1.0), errors are never

generated,
> i.e. the browser always displays a blank page irrespective of the returned
> status code.
>
> Am I not doing this correctly? Is there a better way of accomplishing the
> same?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Alek

Alek Davis

This would be to easy . Actually, I am not sure that the monitoring (MOM)
script can call a Web service. I was told by the team in charge of
monitoring that one of the health check options is attempt to access a Web
page (other options are testing the status of a Windows services, etc), so I
assume that the script can handle HTTP codes. But I doubt that it can call a
Web service.

Alek

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

+