Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > XP 64 Bit Intel Server MB

XP 64 Bit Intel Server MB

Bob AZ

My Plan

To build a new and better computer for my Digital Photography.

So far I have made a tentative decision to use an Intel S5000XVNSATA
motherboard with a Xenon 5130 Processor. I will start out with 8GB of
memory. Also I will install/use the Windows XP Pro 64 Bit Operating
System. My Epson printer has a 64 bit driver available.

Is all the above feasable?

Thanks for any assistance
Bob AZ

johnsuth@nospam.com.au

In <(E-Mail Removed)>, Bob AZ <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>My Plan
>
>To build a new and better computer for my Digital Photography.
>
>So far I have made a tentative decision to use an Intel S5000XVNSATA
>motherboard with a Xenon 5130 Processor. I will start out with 8GB of
>memory. Also I will install/use the Windows XP Pro 64 Bit Operating
>System. My Epson printer has a 64 bit driver available.
>
>Is all the above feasable?

I steered away from Intel because the mobo I was reading about did not have
serial and parallel ports for legacy peripherals.

Charlie Russel - MVP

Frankly, for digital photography, I'd choose Vista 64-bit, but you should be
OK either way.

I'm not sure why you'd choose a 5130 over one of the newer 5000 series
processors. After all, I've got a server with two of the 5130s, but it was
spec'd over 2 years ago. There are better, but still well priced, procs out
there now. Unless you're just repurposing one, in which case fine.

You really haven't said what you're doing for video, or what you're doing
about I/O - both of those will have a dramatic effect on your digital media
experience.

Overall, that's a pretty old workstation motherboard. I can think of several
others I'd likely choose first, for the kind of money that's going for. If
you can stretch, and want to stay with Intel, I'd look at the BOXD5400XS.
Still has the potential for dual Xeons, but now you can do 54xx CPUs. Only 4
memory slots, so limited to 16 GB at this point. But much better graphics
potential. And there's other, non-Intel choices...

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

"Bob AZ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My Plan
>
> To build a new and better computer for my Digital Photography.
>
> So far I have made a tentative decision to use an Intel S5000XVNSATA
> motherboard with a Xenon 5130 Processor. I will start out with 8GB of
> memory. Also I will install/use the Windows XP Pro 64 Bit Operating
> System. My Epson printer has a 64 bit driver available.
>
> Is all the above feasable?
>
> Thanks for any assistance
> Bob AZ

Bob AZ

> > Is all the above feasable?

> > Thanks for any assistance
> > Bob �AZ- Hide quoted text -

Charlie

Glad someone who appears to know something about what I think I would
like to do.

I did want 8 memory slots and also want to stay away from DIMMS that
are not easily replaced. I can get 1GB and 2GB locally. The price for
4GB is stiff and I am not sure there are any locally. I also wanted
Intel for probably the name. Hopefully the quality also. Also Intel
has lots of support and documentation that is easily available.

I do digital still photography with Canons. No interest in any other
media forms such as video etc. I upload from the DSLR and print to my
Epson 4800. Everything works fine except the rendering to the printer
is slow. And my picture files are too large for many other options. So
lots of memory and more processing capability.

No Vista yet. Too many problems that I don't have the inclination to
address right now. Maybe next summer. Besides everything is XP for
me.

I will look at other processors. I just picked the 5130 for the price
from Newegg. I really don't know enough about processors to make a
real informed decision. This is why I picked this newsgroup to get
input. With the Intel S5000 series boards I do have to do Xenon
processors according to Intel.

The S5000 series boards are the only boards I know about that are 8
memory slots and handle multiple processors. Again Intel is a good
name with me and I know little about others.

Thanks for the input. More research tomorrow.
Bob AZ

Juergen Kluth

Hi,
if everything works fine, tell what does not !

The rendering to your printer might be affected by the memory the printer
has installed. This might be upgradeble.
Also by the interface you use. You should use the USB option over parallel
port (if possible).

You also should tell, which software you use to work on your photographs.
If it is a 32 bit SW , 8 GB wont help that much.

jk

JM Schroff

Bob,

I am a Canon DSLR user, dual booting XP32 & XP64. There are issues with
Canon's software under XP64, particularly EOS Utility not launching when
the USB connection is made. As they (Canon) states, their installer is
not supported under XP64, requiring you to be creative to get the
requisite applications installed at all. Outside the connection issue,
they function well under XP64, but I do not see any performance gains on
my system with any of Canon's software, unlike Lightroom & Photoshop.

They (Canon) do support Vista 64, but I do not know if it installs them
as X86 or native 64-bit applications.

Bob AZ wrote:
>>> Is all the above feasable?
>>> Thanks for any assistance
>>> Bob �AZ- Hide quoted text -

> Charlie
>
> Glad someone who appears to know something about what I think I would
> like to do.
>
> I did want 8 memory slots and also want to stay away from DIMMS that
> are not easily replaced. I can get 1GB and 2GB locally. The price for
> 4GB is stiff and I am not sure there are any locally. I also wanted
> Intel for probably the name. Hopefully the quality also. Also Intel
> has lots of support and documentation that is easily available.
>
> I do digital still photography with Canons. No interest in any other
> media forms such as video etc. I upload from the DSLR and print to my
> Epson 4800. Everything works fine except the rendering to the printer
> is slow. And my picture files are too large for many other options. So
> lots of memory and more processing capability.
>
> No Vista yet. Too many problems that I don't have the inclination to
> address right now. Maybe next summer. Besides everything is XP for
> me.
>
> I will look at other processors. I just picked the 5130 for the price
> from Newegg. I really don't know enough about processors to make a
> real informed decision. This is why I picked this newsgroup to get
> input. With the Intel S5000 series boards I do have to do Xenon
> processors according to Intel.
>
> The S5000 series boards are the only boards I know about that are 8
> memory slots and handle multiple processors. Again Intel is a good
> name with me and I know little about others.
>
> Thanks for the input. More research tomorrow.
> Bob AZ

Charlie Russel - MVP

Well, on a couple of points:

1.) That Intel mobo is hardly up to speed. It appears it may have issues
with the latest Intel CPUs, so you may not have as many choices beyond the
5130 as I thought.

2.) There's a nice Asus mobo that takes 2 Xeons (including 52xx and 54xx)
and 6 FBDIMMs - that will get you to 12 GB with 2 GB FBDIMMs, and by the
time you need more, you'll find 4 GB are down in price. It has PCIe Mod2

3.) there are others that are out there, that was just one off the top of my
head. There are LOTS of mobos that handle 8 (or more) slots and dual procs.
Both Intel and AMD procs. The key is video support. You don't want one that
doesn't have decent video card bandwidth.

4.) Vista - for what you're doing, you'd be better off, IMO. There are
actually fewer problems than with XP x64, since drivers are catching up and
passing by a good margin.

5.) For printer speed, try moving to a network print server. Offloads the
whole thing and you can get on about your business.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

"Bob AZ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> > Is all the above feasable?

> > Thanks for any assistance
> > Bob �AZ- Hide quoted text -

Charlie

Glad someone who appears to know something about what I think I would
like to do.

I did want 8 memory slots and also want to stay away from DIMMS that
are not easily replaced. I can get 1GB and 2GB locally. The price for
4GB is stiff and I am not sure there are any locally. I also wanted
Intel for probably the name. Hopefully the quality also. Also Intel
has lots of support and documentation that is easily available.

I do digital still photography with Canons. No interest in any other
media forms such as video etc. I upload from the DSLR and print to my
Epson 4800. Everything works fine except the rendering to the printer
is slow. And my picture files are too large for many other options. So
lots of memory and more processing capability.

No Vista yet. Too many problems that I don't have the inclination to
address right now. Maybe next summer. Besides everything is XP for
me.

I will look at other processors. I just picked the 5130 for the price
from Newegg. I really don't know enough about processors to make a
real informed decision. This is why I picked this newsgroup to get
input. With the Intel S5000 series boards I do have to do Xenon
processors according to Intel.

The S5000 series boards are the only boards I know about that are 8
memory slots and handle multiple processors. Again Intel is a good
name with me and I know little about others.

Thanks for the input. More research tomorrow.
Bob AZ

Bob AZ

> You also should tell, which software you use to work on your photographs.
> If it is a 32 bit SW , 8 GB wont help that much.
>
> jk

JK

I am using Firewire. I have also tried USB. I don't have parallel as
an option. Epson 4800 printer.

I am using Photoshop Elements. Older but the later versions simply
don't do much if any more. Since my busy time starts later this month
there is no way to upgrade software editing until next summer.

I believe the printer memory is fixed at 75 megat bytes. Will check
into that. Sometimes my files run way over that. I do have the
spooling enabled in my RIP but that is not really working well.

Thanks for the input.
Bob AZ

Juergen Kluth

Hi,
as on Photoshop requirements (pentium like processor) i think it is 32 bit
SW, so even on x64 you have the same limitation for
the 2 Gig Memory the SW itself can use.

The printer , i would prefer, should be connected to the working pc itself.
that would avoid filling up the network with data.

if you have a really up to date SLR with 12 Mpixel or so, a photograph with
32 bit colors makes up for 50 MB of size.
You should have a grapficscard in your machine with memory above that
number.
The multiplication of it (say 512 MB graphicsmemory) can hold the same
amount of photographs in its ram while scrolling (here 10).

jk

Bob AZ

On Aug 12, 6:25�am, JM Schroff <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Bob,
>
> I am a Canon DSLR user, dual booting XP32 & XP64. There are issues with
> Canon's software under XP64, particularly EOS Utility not launching when
> the USB connection is made. As they (Canon) states, their installer is
> not supported under XP64, requiring you to be creative to get the
> requisite applications installed at all. Outside the connection issue,
> they function well under XP64, but I do not see any performance gains on
> my system with any of Canon's software, unlike Lightroom & Photoshop.
>
> They (Canon) do support Vista 64, but I do not know if it installs them
> as X86 or native 64-bit applications.
>

> > Thanks for the input. More research tomorrow.
> > Bob �AZ- Hide quoted text -

JM

I have not used any of the Canon utilities since for the most part
everything has gone well. I am not sure how to handle dual booting
either. I will be putting WIN XP 64 bit on the new computer.

Another brought up the subject of video cards and I will be checking
that tomorrow. What they say does make sense. Also two friends that I
spoke with today mentioned video cards. I have been pleased with the
display video so did not think of it. I can get a good video card
locally so should I need a new one it is no problem. I don't want to
change editiors but will if I have to.

Thanks for the reply
Bob AZ