Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > problem with vista ultimate 64

problem with vista ultimate 64

Matt Schneyer

dual opterons, tyan mother board 2885, highpoint raid card 1820, raid 5 , 5
raptors, 3 other for scratch photos, spare, currently 2 gigs ecc registered
corsair memory 512 sticks, ultimate on raid c drive. Installed with all
important updates, had to eliminate 2 gigs of memory think one was bad to
get it to install. System is stable with photo shop cs , office 2007
updating now, avast home. Problem is when I try to do an administrative
thing system crashes, locks up. restarts on hard boot. last good config no
error messages. Last crash was I tried to update vista experience, it was
4.6 so not bad, but I had added memory to 2 gigs and hard drives. system
locked up. On reboot system works fine including photo shop till I try
another admin type thing. System has 2 power supplies and has been stable
with 34 gigs of memory in xp 32 and 64 dual boot, even triple boot with
vista betas 32 bit. I think there are 2 problems, one a memory issue I
will check the uninstalled memory and some thing with Dep either hardware
on mother board (what am I looking for) or software in vista on by default
in 64 bit.. Any ideas would help Thanks

Charlie Russel - MVP

If you're seeing crashes when it goes to the secure desktop, this is a often
a sign of video driver problems. And if your video on that is nvidia, I'd be
highly suspicious.

If DEP is triggering a reboot, then something bad is going on. DEP only acts
when something is writing outside of where it's supposed to.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

"Matt Schneyer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ey1Y$H3%(E-Mail Removed)...
> dual opterons, tyan mother board 2885, highpoint raid card 1820, raid 5 ,
> 5 raptors, 3 other for scratch photos, spare, currently 2 gigs ecc
> registered corsair memory 512 sticks, ultimate on raid c drive. Installed
> with all important updates, had to eliminate 2 gigs of memory think one
> was bad to get it to install. System is stable with photo shop cs ,
> office 2007 updating now, avast home. Problem is when I try to do an
> administrative thing system crashes, locks up. restarts on hard boot. last
> good config no error messages. Last crash was I tried to update vista
> experience, it was 4.6 so not bad, but I had added memory to 2 gigs and
> hard drives. system locked up. On reboot system works fine including photo
> shop till I try another admin type thing. System has 2 power supplies and
> has been stable with 34 gigs of memory in xp 32 and 64 dual boot, even
> triple boot with vista betas 32 bit. I think there are 2 problems, one a
> memory issue I will check the uninstalled memory and some thing with Dep
> either hardware on mother board (what am I looking for) or software in
> vista on by default in 64 bit.. Any ideas would help Thanks

Matt Schneyer

Ok thanks it is a nvidia NX7600GS. What driver should I use? and
how do I update it or change it. Thanks again
news:%23%23RIga3%(E-Mail Removed)...
> If you're seeing crashes when it goes to the secure desktop, this is a
> often a sign of video driver problems. And if your video on that is
> nvidia, I'd be highly suspicious.
>
> If DEP is triggering a reboot, then something bad is going on. DEP only
> acts when something is writing outside of where it's supposed to.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
>

> "Matt Schneyer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:ey1Y$H3%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> dual opterons, tyan mother board 2885, highpoint raid card 1820, raid 5 ,
>> 5 raptors, 3 other for scratch photos, spare, currently 2 gigs ecc
>> registered corsair memory 512 sticks, ultimate on raid c drive. Installed
>> with all important updates, had to eliminate 2 gigs of memory think one
>> was bad to get it to install. System is stable with photo shop cs ,
>> office 2007 updating now, avast home. Problem is when I try to do an
>> administrative thing system crashes, locks up. restarts on hard boot.
>> last good config no error messages. Last crash was I tried to update
>> vista experience, it was 4.6 so not bad, but I had added memory to 2
>> gigs and hard drives. system locked up. On reboot system works fine
>> including photo shop till I try another admin type thing. System has 2
>> power supplies and has been stable with 34 gigs of memory in xp 32 and 64
>> dual boot, even triple boot with vista betas 32 bit. I think there are 2
>> problems, one a memory issue I will check the uninstalled memory and
>> some thing with Dep either hardware on mother board (what am I looking
>> for) or software in vista on by default in 64 bit.. Any ideas would help
>> Thanks

Matt Schneyer

Just installed what vista said was a driver will keep you posted I am
keeping my finger crossed. Thanks again
"Matt Schneyer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%23Rn6Au3%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ok thanks it is a nvidia NX7600GS. What driver should I use?
> and how do I update it or change it. Thanks again
> news:%23%23RIga3%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> If you're seeing crashes when it goes to the secure desktop, this is a
>> often a sign of video driver problems. And if your video on that is
>> nvidia, I'd be highly suspicious.
>>
>> If DEP is triggering a reboot, then something bad is going on. DEP only
>> acts when something is writing outside of where it's supposed to.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
>>

>> "Matt Schneyer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:ey1Y$H3%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> dual opterons, tyan mother board 2885, highpoint raid card 1820, raid 5
>>> , 5 raptors, 3 other for scratch photos, spare, currently 2 gigs ecc
>>> registered corsair memory 512 sticks, ultimate on raid c drive.
>>> Installed with all important updates, had to eliminate 2 gigs of memory
>>> think one was bad to get it to install. System is stable with photo shop
>>> cs , office 2007 updating now, avast home. Problem is when I try to
>>> do an administrative thing system crashes, locks up. restarts on hard
>>> boot. last good config no error messages. Last crash was I tried to
>>> update vista experience, it was 4.6 so not bad, but I had added memory
>>> to 2 gigs and hard drives. system locked up. On reboot system works fine
>>> including photo shop till I try another admin type thing. System has 2
>>> power supplies and has been stable with 34 gigs of memory in xp 32 and
>>> 64 dual boot, even triple boot with vista betas 32 bit. I think there
>>> are 2 problems, one a memory issue I will check the uninstalled memory
>>> and some thing with Dep either hardware on mother board (what am I
>>> looking for) or software in vista on by default in 64 bit.. Any ideas
>>> would help Thanks

Matt Schneyer

This group is great. I have been following and using thru xp 64 and vista
betas, what I thought was dep problem was a video driver problem, now
back to the memory issue, thanks Again
"Matt Schneyer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%23Rn6Au3%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ok thanks it is a nvidia NX7600GS. What driver should I use?
> and how do I update it or change it. Thanks again
> news:%23%23RIga3%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> If you're seeing crashes when it goes to the secure desktop, this is a
>> often a sign of video driver problems. And if your video on that is
>> nvidia, I'd be highly suspicious.
>>
>> If DEP is triggering a reboot, then something bad is going on. DEP only
>> acts when something is writing outside of where it's supposed to.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
>>

>> "Matt Schneyer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:ey1Y$H3%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> dual opterons, tyan mother board 2885, highpoint raid card 1820, raid 5
>>> , 5 raptors, 3 other for scratch photos, spare, currently 2 gigs ecc
>>> registered corsair memory 512 sticks, ultimate on raid c drive.
>>> Installed with all important updates, had to eliminate 2 gigs of memory
>>> think one was bad to get it to install. System is stable with photo shop
>>> cs , office 2007 updating now, avast home. Problem is when I try to
>>> do an administrative thing system crashes, locks up. restarts on hard
>>> boot. last good config no error messages. Last crash was I tried to
>>> update vista experience, it was 4.6 so not bad, but I had added memory
>>> to 2 gigs and hard drives. system locked up. On reboot system works fine
>>> including photo shop till I try another admin type thing. System has 2
>>> power supplies and has been stable with 34 gigs of memory in xp 32 and
>>> 64 dual boot, even triple boot with vista betas 32 bit. I think there
>>> are 2 problems, one a memory issue I will check the uninstalled memory
>>> and some thing with Dep either hardware on mother board (what am I
>>> looking for) or software in vista on by default in 64 bit.. Any ideas
>>> would help Thanks

Matt Schneyer

Was able to activate, but tried to refresh performance index and system
froze again. I did put back another pair of memory so I am getting closer.
Thanks
"Matt Schneyer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%23RqUA%233%(E-Mail Removed).. .
> This group is great. I have been following and using thru xp 64 and vista
> betas, what I thought was dep problem was a video driver problem, now
> back to the memory issue, thanks Again
> "Matt Schneyer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%23Rn6Au3%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Ok thanks it is a nvidia NX7600GS. What driver should I use? and how
>> do I update it or change it. Thanks again
>> news:%23%23RIga3%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> If you're seeing crashes when it goes to the secure desktop, this is a
>>> often a sign of video driver problems. And if your video on that is
>>> nvidia, I'd be highly suspicious.
>>>
>>> If DEP is triggering a reboot, then something bad is going on. DEP only
>>> acts when something is writing outside of where it's supposed to.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Charlie.
>>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
>>>

>>> "Matt Schneyer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:ey1Y$H3%(E-Mail Removed)...

Matt Schneyer

If it is a video driver what driver should I use for NX7600GS. and how
do I install it. Vista driver only helped a little like to get me
activated but for secure screens otherwise it still crashes or locks up I
tried to do a disk clean up and I get a black screen. reboot 2x and I am
back to start desk top Help
"Matt Schneyer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:eMs5PG4%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Was able to activate, but tried to refresh performance index and system
> froze again. I did put back another pair of memory so I am getting closer.
> Thanks
> "Matt Schneyer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%23RqUA%233%(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> This group is great. I have been following and using thru xp 64 and vista
>> betas, what I thought was dep problem was a video driver problem, now
>> back to the memory issue, thanks Again
>> "Matt Schneyer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%23Rn6Au3%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Ok thanks it is a nvidia NX7600GS. What driver should I use? and how
>>> do I update it or change it. Thanks again
>>> "Charlie Russel - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>> message news:%23%23RIga3%(E-Mail Removed)...

Matt Schneyer

it is a video driver by changing drivers I am able to change where system
locks up. I just tried to install office connector as administrator and
system locks up. That was with signed 100.65 What driver for NX7600GS do
I need to install? and how do I install it. or do I need another video
card? I am to tired to think I have been at this install well forth try
in 2 days for a very long time 2am and I am fading fast Thanks
"Matt Schneyer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%23mJ$mY4%(E-Mail Removed)...
> If it is a video driver what driver should I use for NX7600GS. and
> how do I install it. Vista driver only helped a little like to get me
> activated but for secure screens otherwise it still crashes or locks up I
> tried to do a disk clean up and I get a black screen. reboot 2x and I am
> back to start desk top Help
> "Matt Schneyer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:eMs5PG4%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Was able to activate, but tried to refresh performance index and system
>> froze again. I did put back another pair of memory so I am getting
>> closer. Thanks
>> "Matt Schneyer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%23RqUA%233%(E-Mail Removed).. .
>>> This group is great. I have been following and using thru xp 64 and
>>> vista betas, what I thought was dep problem was a video driver problem,
>>> now back to the memory issue, thanks Again
>>> "Matt Schneyer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:%23Rn6Au3%(E-Mail Removed)...

Carlos

Matt,
The latest NVidia drivers for your card are v175.19.
English version of those drivers can be downloaded here:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvist...5.19_whql.html
Be sure tu uninstal the previous driver first, then reboot and afterwards
install the 175.19's.
Carlos

"Matt Schneyer" wrote:

> it is a video driver by changing drivers I am able to change where system
> locks up. I just tried to install office connector as administrator and
> system locks up. That was with signed 100.65 What driver for NX7600GS do
> I need to install? and how do I install it. or do I need another video
> card? I am to tired to think I have been at this install well forth try
> in 2 days for a very long time 2am and I am fading fast Thanks
> "Matt Schneyer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%23mJ$mY4%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > If it is a video driver what driver should I use for NX7600GS. and
> > how do I install it. Vista driver only helped a little like to get me
> > activated but for secure screens otherwise it still crashes or locks up I
> > tried to do a disk clean up and I get a black screen. reboot 2x and I am
> > back to start desk top Help
> > "Matt Schneyer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:eMs5PG4%(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> Was able to activate, but tried to refresh performance index and system
> >> froze again. I did put back another pair of memory so I am getting
> >> closer. Thanks
> >> "Matt Schneyer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:%23RqUA%233%(E-Mail Removed).. .

Matt Schneyer

I have it down loaded . So I get it right how do I uninstall driver so I do
a clean install of it. I ask because I thought I had that one installed
before the one that is installed. Thanks
news:(E-Mail Removed)...