Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > SSH utility

SSH utility

James Brady

Hi all,
I'm looking for a python library that lets me execute shell commands
on remote machines.

I've tried a few SSH utilities so far: paramiko, PySSH and pssh;
unfortunately all been unreliable, and repeated questions on their
respective mailing lists haven't been answered...

It seems like the sort of commodity task that there should be a pretty
robust library for. Are there any suggestions for alternative
libraries or approaches?

Thanks!
James

Alan Franzoni

James Brady was kind enough to say:

> Hi all,
> I'm looking for a python library that lets me execute shell commands
> on remote machines.
>
> I've tried a few SSH utilities so far: paramiko, PySSH and pssh;
> unfortunately all been unreliable, and repeated questions on their
> respective mailing lists haven't been answered...

Twisted conch seems to be your last chance

--
Alan Franzoni <(E-Mail Removed)>
-

Kris Kennaway

James Brady wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'm looking for a python library that lets me execute shell commands
> on remote machines.
>
> I've tried a few SSH utilities so far: paramiko, PySSH and pssh;
> unfortunately all been unreliable, and repeated questions on their
> respective mailing lists haven't been answered...
>
> It seems like the sort of commodity task that there should be a pretty
> robust library for. Are there any suggestions for alternative
> libraries or approaches?

Personally I just Popen ssh directly. Things like paramiko make me
concerned; getting the SSH protocol right is tricky and not something I
want to trust to projects that have not had significant experience and
auditing.

Kris

Support Desk

What about pexpect?