Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Bad wireless connections in Windows weirdness

Bad wireless connections in Windows weirdness

pvhoffman@gmail.com

I have 3 laptops connected wirelessly and 2 desktops wired to one
router with wireless support.

The two wired desktop (both Windows XP) have no connectivity
problems.

Two of the laptops running Windows XP MCE have serious problems that
will occur from hours to days, the other (third) laptop run Ubuntu
Linux 8.04 and never has any of these problems.

The two Windows laptop have no problem acquiring an IP address from
the router, no problems with SMTP/POP3 interactions, ping requests,
etc. The problems seem to have everything to do with http traffic.
This led me to believe that a worm or virus had infected the two
Windows laptops, but after running virus/malware scans, looking form
malicious entries in hijackthis, weird entries in startup keys in the
registry, etc. I haven't found any signs of anything 'bad' running on
the Windows laptops. It doesn't matter if the Linux laptop is powered
off or not, the Windows laptops behave exacly the same. I've tried
switching from a Netgear to a Linksys wireless router, but the same
behavior is exhibited. What is even stranger is that everything works
fine if the Windows laptops are connected via cat5 to the router!

As of now I'm going to begin keeping a log of these connectivity
problems to begin comparison with sun spot activity to find the
correlation between http over wireless on Windows and activity on the
surface of the sun until somebody can suggest anything better, for I
am perplexed....

Thank you

Paul

Barb Bowman

what is the exact problem?

--

Barb Bowman
MS-MVP

smlunatick

On Aug 11, 12:25*am, "(E-Mail Removed)" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> I have 3 laptops connected wirelessly and 2 desktops wired to one
> router with wireless support.
>
> The two wired desktop (both Windows XP) have no connectivity
> problems.
>
> Two of the laptops running Windows XP MCE have serious problems that
> will occur from hours to days, the other (third) laptop run Ubuntu
> Linux 8.04 and never has any of these problems.
>
> The two Windows laptop have no problem acquiring an IP address from
> the router, no problems with SMTP/POP3 interactions, ping requests,
> etc. *The problems seem to have everything to do with http traffic.
> This led me to believe that a worm or virus had infected the two
> Windows laptops, but after running virus/malware scans, looking form
> malicious entries in hijackthis, weird entries in startup keys in the
> registry, etc. I haven't found any signs of anything 'bad' running on
> the Windows laptops. *It doesn't matter if the Linux laptop is powered
> off or not, the Windows laptops behave exacly the same. *I've tried
> switching from a Netgear to a Linksys wireless router, but the same
> behavior is exhibited. *What is even stranger is that everything works
> fine if the Windows laptops are connected via cat5 to the router!
>
> As of now I'm going to begin keeping a log of these connectivity
> problems to begin comparison with sun spot activity to find the
> correlation between http over wireless on Windows and activity on the
> surface of the sun until somebody can suggest anything better, for I
> am perplexed....
>
> Thank you
>
> Paul

Check the wireless laptops so as to see if any firewall settings might
be blocking the wireless network SSID.

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
Check the Wireless,configuration by following this process.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

news:(E-Mail Removed)...