Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Re: On-board video ram sharing

Re: On-board video ram sharing

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarweb "lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz" typed:
> My motherboard has a default value for sharing ram with the
> on-board video - NVideo 6100.
>
> I've looked at the manual but can find no reference to any
> capability to change the default value.
>
> Is there a way to increase the shared ram value ?

Hi Lindsay,

Unfortunately you don't mention what make/model your motherboard is. Chipset
alone isn't enough.

Most (but not all) motherboards with on-board graphics will have an option
in the BIOS to allow you to change the default shared RAM, sometimes under
'Onboard peripherals', (an oxymoron if there ever was one). However, you
might have to hunt through every setting, it could be anywhere.

The reason that the make of the motherboard could be important is that some
Gigabyte boards have 'hidden' BIOS options to keep the 'lusers' from messing
with things that Gigabyte deem they aren't worthy of touching. Usually it
isn't even in the anual how to access them.

From memory, when you're in the first BIOS screen (after hitting [delete] as
soon as it beeps) you use the key combo [alt F1]. Count how many options you
have before and after the keypress as a new one pops up so fast you might
not know if you have the right keypress. I say this as I'm not sure that
it's [alt F1], it could be [ctrl F1] or [shift F1], it's been a while.
However, there's nothig to be worried about, anly the correct keypress will
do anything. If it's a Gigabyte there could/should be another option listed
in the BIOS screen after you do this and the settings you want may be there.

HTH,
--
Shaun.

me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate...

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarweb "lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz" typed:
> Shaun:
>
> The Crtl + F1 combo caused two additional entries to be made in
> the Integrated peripherals page of the bios,

Great!

> but neither additional
> item referred to video memory management.

Bugger!

> Tks for the tip.

You're welcome Lindsay, shame it didn't resolve your problem.

Cheers,