Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Recomend please - USB voip adaptor

Recomend please - USB voip adaptor

Brian A

On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 21:41:20 +0100, Jono <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Iain formulated the question :
>> Theo Markettos wrote:

>>> Won't work I'm afraid. Cable modem will only accept packets from one MAC
>>> address - the one it gave DHCP to. All the others will be binned - after
>>> all, they won't have globally-routable IPs.

>> Well, I have news for you, sunshine. It works just fine on Virgin Media cable
>> broadband, as long as you reset the modem after connecting the switch. Did it
>> only last week.

>Unless you have the old gaming service, VM only provide a single
>routable IP,
>
>So, unless you have a router, or are using ICS etc, what you suggest
>/shouldn't/ work on a VM cable connection.
>
>One device will grab the IP, the other won't be able to access the
>internet.

That's the way I would understand it. It needs a NAT to be able to
provide the local IPs. I wouldn't have thought that a simple switch
would work and that it would need a router - for example the SPA-3102.
It is a surprise to me that more than one WAN IP is issued. At least
that is how I understand what has been stated.

---
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
---

Iain

Jono wrote:

> Unless you have the old gaming service, VM only provide a single
> routable IP,
>
> So, unless you have a router, or are using ICS etc, what you suggest
> /shouldn't/ work on a VM cable connection.
>
> One device will grab the IP, the other won't be able to access the
> internet.

Well, on Monday, three of us were using it at the same time, two on WiFi
and one wired. Though it is possible that the switch was a router. It
was a spare one from my odds and ends box.

Theo Markettos

Iain <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Well, on Monday, three of us were using it at the same time, two on WiFi
> and one wired. Though it is possible that the switch was a router. It
> was a spare one from my odds and ends box.

How did you manage to do Wifi without a router? The only network switches
with integrated Wifi I know of are wireless access points. You'd probably
only have one of those if you got it for a particular reason. It's more
likely to had a router in your spares box than a WAP.

Theo

Iain

Jono wrote:
> Theo Markettos expressed precisely :
>> Iain <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> Well, on Monday, three of us were using it at the same time, two on
>>> WiFi and one wired. Though it is possible that the switch was a
>>> router. It was a spare one from my odds and ends box.

>> How did you manage to do Wifi without a router? The only network
>> switches
>> with integrated Wifi I know of are wireless access points. You'd
>> probably
>> only have one of those if you got it for a particular reason. It's more
>> likely to had a router in your spares box than a WAP.
>>
>> Theo

> One connected to the switch on the cable modem and two wirelessly
> connected to a neighbour's access point.

Nope. The neighbour's AP is encrypted.

Yes, this is an AP with four ports. Cable modem in one, PC in another.
Most APs have no router in them - they're just a network switch with a
wireless hub attached. But it may have a DHCP server and a router in it
- this one is pretty old and probably cost a lot. I'll try and remember
to take a cheap switch and try it next time I'm there, but that'll be
next month.

recomend voip software? Wil VOIP 1 11-06-2007 08:49 AM
Voip USB adaptor - help spam@keeptalking.co.uk UK VOIP 0 07-10-2005 12:10 PM
Please recomend me a Anti-Phishing Guide website.....................!!!!! David M. Dinner Computer Security 9 01-27-2005 07:11 PM
USB voip adaptor juglegil VOIP 1 12-18-2004 12:32 AM
Recomend a simple Backup Utility please °Mike° Computer Support 8 07-29-2004 05:12 PM

Advertisments