Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Photo Store

Photo Store

Ian Prideaux

Hi All,

What I want is a USB external hard disk (possibly firewire and/or
network as well), but with a display, so that I don't have to fire up
the computer every time I just want to look at some photos. If it comes
with some catalogue software, then that'd be even better.

Does such a device exist?

Thanks.

BlackShadow

Ian Prideaux wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> What I want is a USB external hard disk (possibly firewire and/or
> network as well), but with a display, so that I don't have to fire up
> the computer every time I just want to look at some photos. If it comes
> with some catalogue software, then that'd be even better.
>
> Does such a device exist?
>
> Thanks.

Of course it does, why else would you be here with your brand new,
untouched identity starting your apparently innocent appearing shill for it?

It is overpriced, buggy, limited in application, and basically useless, but
it exists.

It is cheaper, simpler and more functional to use a standard USB drive with
a Photoframe that has a USB input.

BTW, who has to "fire up a computer" now? Everyone I know never turns them off.

BlackShadow

Alex Monro

Ian Prideaux wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> What I want is a USB external hard disk (possibly firewire and/or
> network as well), but with a display, so that I don't have to fire up
> the computer every time I just want to look at some photos. If it
> comes with some catalogue software, then that'd be even better.
>
> Does such a device exist?

There are a number of portable storage devices with small (3- 4") LCD
screens and USB connectivity. Don't know of any with catalogue software
though.

See here:
http://www.warehouseexpress.com/cate...spx?cat03=3129

There are also digital photo frames with larger screens, but usually
less memory, although some allow additional memory cards to be fitted,
and some have USB ports.

See here:
http://www.warehouseexpress.com/cate...spx?cat03=3130
--
Alex Monro
Exeter, UK

BlackShadow

Alex Monro wrote:
> Ian Prideaux wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> What I want is a USB external hard disk (possibly firewire and/or
>> network as well), but with a display, so that I don't have to fire up
>> the computer every time I just want to look at some photos. If it
>> comes with some catalogue software, then that'd be even better.
>>
>> Does such a device exist?
>>

> There are a number of portable storage devices with small (3- 4") LCD
> screens and USB connectivity. Don't know of any with catalogue software
> though.
>
> See here:
> http://www.warehouseexpress.com/cate...spx?cat03=3129

429 quid for a 80GB device?

You can get a 160GB iPod for far less.

As I said in a previous post, none of these devices are value for money
when compared to simpler alternatives.

BlackShadow

Cynicor

BlackShadow wrote:

> 429 quid for a 80GB device?
>
> You can get a 160GB iPod for far less.

And you can get a 160GB player by several other brands for far less than
the iPod, and also a couple of years EARLIER than the iPod.

Er...sorry, I meant to say "Apple is incredibly innovative."

Ray Fischer

Cynicor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>BlackShadow wrote:
>>
>> 429 quid for a 80GB device?
>>
>> You can get a 160GB iPod for far less.

>And you can get a 160GB player by several other brands for far less than
>the iPod, and also a couple of years EARLIER than the iPod.
>
>Er...sorry, I meant to say "Apple is incredibly innovative."

Given the millions of people who have spent money on iPods one can
assume either that millions of people are stupider than you, or that
they know something that you do not.

I know which way I'd vote.

--
Ray Fischer

Poldie

Cynicor wrote:
> BlackShadow wrote:
>> 429 quid for a 80GB device?
>>
>> You can get a 160GB iPod for far less.

> And you can get a 160GB player by several other brands for far less than
> the iPod, and also a couple of years EARLIER than the iPod.

When I got my iPod last year, there was nothing which came close for
price per gigabyte. I was a previously happy Creative Zen Xtra user,
who reluctantly got an iPod when Creative couldn't decide if their
closest product was actually on sale or not, and for what price. You
know the world's about to end when Apple hardware is the cheapest option!

Cynicor

John McWilliams wrote:
> Cynicor wrote:
>> BlackShadow wrote:
>>>
>>> 429 quid for a 80GB device?
>>>
>>> You can get a 160GB iPod for far less.

>> And you can get a 160GB player by several other brands for far less
>> than the iPod, and also a couple of years EARLIER than the iPod.
>>
>> Er...sorry, I meant to say "Apple is incredibly innovative."

> Hey, Josh, yes, Apple is way more expensive with the gee gaws than some
> of the crap ripoffs. Now, there are probably some excellent
> alternatives, too.

I've always been happy with my Archos stuff. Not as happy with Creative.
I really want to have my player show up as a drive and not as a WM
device, because I like to write little programs that mess around with
the data in the files.

> I drank the cool aid, and now have an 8 gig iPhone. It's the best
> designed bit of work I've seen, and it can, under limited conditions,
> turn in a half decent photo with GPS info.

Interesting. I have three problems with the iPhone. First, it's not
covered under my employee pricing plan. Second, I don't ever want a
phone that doesn't have Exchange ActiveSync. It's just too great to be
able to save an incoming call to my address book and have it show up
right away in Outlook. Third, as a long-time geek, I like actual tactile
keys.

As a phone, it looks interesting. I just can't understand the cult of
camping out for days to get an item that's not constrained at the point
of sale. It's a bit Star Wars fan-sy for me.

> Liked your Brooklyn-towards-Manhattan shot a lot.

Thanks - I keep a tripod in my car now so I can turn grabs into shots
that take a minute of planning. That photo's an HDR stack. I try to go
gentle on the HDR stuff because I don't want a bunch of photos that look
like Thomas Kincade paintings, but it's a good tool when used judiciously.

Cynicor

Ray Fischer wrote:
> Cynicor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> BlackShadow wrote:
>>> 429 quid for a 80GB device?
>>>
>>> You can get a 160GB iPod for far less.

>> And you can get a 160GB player by several other brands for far less than
>> the iPod, and also a couple of years EARLIER than the iPod.
>>
>> Er...sorry, I meant to say "Apple is incredibly innovative."

> Given the millions of people who have spent money on iPods one can
> assume either that millions of people are stupider than you, or that
> they know something that you do not.
>
> I know which way I'd vote.

And also, "Given the millions of people who regularly watch American
Idol one can assume either that millions of people are stupider than
you, or that they know something that you do not."

I will say, however, that millions of people are definitely stupider
than me. That's a safe bet given that there are 300 million people in
this country alone. It's also a safe bet to say that there are millions
of people who are smarter than me, even with my big fat 99th percentile
brain.