Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Re: Position fixed and IE7

Re: Position fixed and IE7

David Mark

On Aug 9, 11:40*am, sheldonlg <sheldonlg> wrote:
> I have an app where position fixed works for FF and IE6 (with
> workaround). *On IE7, the popup doesn't stay fixed in one place.

Your IE6 workaround is a CSS expression, which I would recommend
against (use a real script instead.) IE7 doesn't need a workaround
unless your page is in quirks mode.

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

David Mark wrote:
> On Aug 9, 11:40 am, sheldonlg <sheldonlg> wrote:
>> I have an app where position fixed works for FF and IE6 (with
>> workaround). On IE7, the popup doesn't stay fixed in one place.

> Your IE6 workaround is a CSS expression, which I would recommend
> against (use a real script instead.)

IBTD. A "real script" could never be as responsive.

> IE7 doesn't need a workaround unless your page is in quirks mode.

Correct in this case. Therefore, this workaround needs to be marked
IE < 7 only:

<!--[if lt IE 7]>
/* workaround */
<![endif]-->

PointedEars

David Mark

On Aug 9, 3:23*pm, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> David Mark wrote:
> > On Aug 9, 11:40 am, sheldonlg <sheldonlg> wrote:
> >> I have an app where position fixed works for FF and IE6 (with
> >> workaround). *On IE7, the popup doesn't stay fixed in one place.

> > Your IE6 workaround is a CSS expression, which I would recommend
> > against (use a real script instead.)

> IBTD. *A "real script" could never be as responsive.

But a real script would not be evaluated every time you move the
mouse. CSS expressions are bad news. Do not use them.

> > IE7 doesn't need a workaround unless your page is in quirks mode.

> Correct in this case. *Therefore, this workaround needs to be marked
> IE < 7 only:
>
> * <!--[if lt IE 7]>
> * * /* workaround */
> * <![endif]-->

As long as the page is not rendered in quirks mode.