Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Windows Installer missing error

Windows Installer missing error

Scott Conner

I need to download updates and new software and my system now gives me a
message that the "Windows Installer is missing" error and I should contact my
system administrator. When you don't have a sysytem administrator how do you
fix this problem. I have been looking for the installer for my x64 system
and it takes me to the X64 server installer instead. What do I need to do
here. Anybody have any ideas??

Bobby Johnson

You need the package designated for Windows Server 2003 x64

You can find links at:

you should see a link for file:

WindowsServer2003-KB942288-v4-x64.exe

Scott Conner wrote:
> I need to download updates and new software and my system now gives me a
> message that the "Windows Installer is missing" error and I should contact my
> system administrator. When you don't have a sysytem administrator how do you
> fix this problem. I have been looking for the installer for my x64 system
> and it takes me to the X64 server installer instead. What do I need to do
> here. Anybody have any ideas??

Bobby Johnson

The below is only true if you are talking about Windows XP
Professional x64. You really should be explicit about which
operating system you are running. There is also Vista x64
which requires a different Windows Installer.