Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Re: usb / ps2 keyboard

Re: usb / ps2 keyboard

sandy58

On Aug 8, 11:42*pm, "- Bobb -" <b...@noemail.123> wrote:
> Asus mb and for years used PS/2 keyboard.
> Well, it was getting grimy so I took it apart for annual (?) cleaning and
> blew it out.
> It's drying overnight to be safe and I grabbed another keyboard - it was
> USB.
>
> I powered up and hit DEL to enter setup.
> I can move around fine in setup using that kb ( plugged into one of my 4
> USB ports in back of machine), but saw no setting for 'Keyboard type'.
> Since it was working, I figured - "it's working" and booted XP. Can't
> type. I shutdown and then tried a usb-ps2 adapter, but it didn't work
> either at login. Got another keyboard - this time a PS2 and it's working
> fine.
>
> So - How can I use USB to get around BIOS fine ,yet XP doesn't see it. ?
> If I have ps2 connector for kb - that's all I can use ?
> Not a big problem *- I was just surprised that USB/PS2 adapter didn't
> work. *That adapter came with a Compaq PC I had (they shipped USB kb and
> PC had PS2 connection and worked fine there.

Same here. I had to go into bios & enable some usb setting.

jameshanley39@yahoo.co.uk

On Aug 9, 2:06*pm, sandy58 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Aug 8, 11:42*pm, "- Bobb -" <b...@noemail.123> wrote:
>

> > Asus mb and for years used PS/2 keyboard.
> > Well, it was getting grimy so I took it apart for annual (?) cleaning and
> > blew it out.
> > It's drying overnight to be safe and I grabbed another keyboard - it was
> > USB.

> > I powered up and hit DEL to enter setup.
> > I can move around fine in setup using that kb ( plugged into one of my 4
> > USB ports in back of machine), but saw no setting for 'Keyboard type'.
> > Since it was working, I figured - "it's working" and booted XP. Can't
> > type. I shutdown and then tried a usb-ps2 adapter, but it didn't work
> > either at login. Got another keyboard - this time a PS2 and it's working
> > fine.

> > So - How can I use USB to get around BIOS fine ,yet XP doesn't see it. ?
> > If I have ps2 connector for kb - that's all I can use ?
> > Not a big problem *- I was just surprised that USB/PS2 adapter didn't
> > work. *That adapter came with a Compaq PC I had (they shipped USB kb and
> > PC had PS2 connection and worked fine there.

> Same here. I had to go into bios & enable some usb setting.-

usb legacy setting enabled or something. But he is talking about it
working in the BIOS and not in windows XP. So it's something else.

I have seen a computer where Windows was corrupted and wouldn't see
USB keyboards. I could have tried a windows xp repair, but there was
space, and it was for somebody else(so worst case scenario, I could
say well leave it for today, if you want to leave it, it's as it was).
So I Installed windows on another partition, and that windows
installation did see it.

Malware had got at their windows installation.. attacked a few things.
Even installing programs was a problem because installshield was
damaged(got errors related to that). But another effect was on USB
keyboards.

Are you saying that a USB keyboard with usb-ps2 adaptor had the same
symptoms as the USB keyboard in the USB socket?

From what you said, it seems like the USB-PS2 adaptor (which takes a
USB keyboard) DID work. Hence you got around the BIOS.

It must be some fault with windows about usb keyboards. rather than
the usb socket itself. Maybe a USB mouse is also affected.

There are differences between USB keyboards and Ps2 keyboards..
besides connector.
One I noticed is that plugging a USB keyboard in, I don't think the
(numlock,scroll lock, break) lights flash. But a Ps2 keyboard they
do.. Adaptors don't change this. It's inherent in the keyboard.
Apparently there are some USB keyboards that don't support ps2 (i.e.
don't work with adaptors) but it looks like yours did. I have never
encountered a USB keyboard that didn't work with an adaptor. It
could be that with those, they work in the BIOS but not windows. But
I doubt it.

jameshanley39@yahoo.co.uk

On Aug 12, 3:32*am, "(E-Mail Removed)"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Aug 9, 2:06*pm, sandy58 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> > On Aug 8, 11:42*pm, "- Bobb -" <b...@noemail.123> wrote:

> > > Asus mb and for years used PS/2 keyboard.
> > > Well, it was getting grimy so I took it apart for annual (?) cleaning and
> > > blew it out.
> > > It's drying overnight to be safe and I grabbed another keyboard - it was
> > > USB.

> > > I powered up and hit DEL to enter setup.
> > > I can move around fine in setup using that kb ( plugged into one of my 4
> > > USB ports in back of machine), but saw no setting for 'Keyboard type'..
> > > Since it was working, I figured - "it's working" and booted XP. Can't
> > > type. I shutdown and then tried a usb-ps2 adapter, but it didn't work
> > > either at login. Got another keyboard - this time a PS2 and it's working
> > > fine.

> > > So - How can I use USB to get around BIOS fine ,yet XP doesn't see it.. ?
> > > If I have ps2 connector for kb - that's all I can use ?
> > > Not a big problem *- I was just surprised that USB/PS2 adapter didn't
> > > work. *That adapter came with a Compaq PC I had (they shipped USB kb and
> > > PC had PS2 connection and worked fine there.

> > Same here. I had to go into bios & enable some usb setting.-

> usb legacy setting enabled or something. But he is talking about it
> working in the BIOS and not in windows XP. So it's something else.
>
> I have seen a computer where Windows was corrupted and wouldn't see
> USB keyboards. *I could have tried a windows xp repair, but there was
> space, and it was for somebody else(so worst case scenario, I could
> say well leave it for today, if you want to leave it, it's as it was).
> So I Installed windows on another partition, and that windows
> installation did see it.
>
> Malware had got at their windows installation.. attacked a few things.
> Even installing programs was a problem because installshield was
> damaged(got errors related to that). But another effect was on USB
> keyboards.
>
> Are you saying that a USB keyboard with usb-ps2 adaptor had the same
> symptoms as the USB keyboard in the USB socket?
>
> From what you said, it seems like the USB-PS2 adaptor (which takes a
> USB keyboard) *DID work. Hence you got around the BIOS.
>
> It must be some fault with windows about usb keyboards. rather than
> the usb socket itself. *Maybe a USB mouse is also affected.
>
> There are differences between USB keyboards and Ps2 keyboards..
> besides connector.
> One I noticed is that plugging a USB keyboard in, I don't think the
> (numlock,scroll lock, break) lights flash. *But a Ps2 keyboard they
> do.. *Adaptors don't change this. It's inherent in the keyboard.
> Apparently there are some USB keyboards that don't support ps2 (i.e.
> don't work with adaptors) but it looks like yours did. * I have never
> encountered a USB keyboard that didn't work with an adaptor. * It
> could be that with those, they work in the BIOS but not windows. *But
> I doubt it.-

2 more things sprung to mind..

Old computers had USB issues.

You didn't do much troubleshooting though, e.g. even trying the USB
keyboard in another machine to see if it was a keyboard issue.. And a
good newer USB keyboard in that machine. Maybe old USB keyboards had
issues too..

for the sake of "completeness", i'll add that one time I had a
particular type of usb-ps2 , or, 2*ps2 to usb adaptor with 2*PS2
sockets and 1*USB. It took a ps2 keyboard and mouse and plugged them
into a USB socket. It was a big beast.
http://www.vpi.us/images/gray-usb-ps2.jpg
That one I think actually only started working in windows, and even
then in windows 98 it needed a special driver to be installed. In Win
XP I think win xp had the driver there already. Human Interface Device
or something.
Note- there are ps2 Y splitters 1-ps2 to 2-ps2, for certain laptops
that support it. So a ps2 mouse and ps2 keyboard can go into one ps2
socket on the laptop.

PS2 (keyboard & mouse) to USB Mobius Computer Support 7 09-12-2005 06:21 PM
usb / ps2 Molecule Computer Support 8 02-22-2005 09:09 AM
PS2 Gamers -- Any USB Headset With Voice Command Games? Blinky the Shark Computer Support 3 09-13-2004 08:52 AM
PS2 to USB adaptor. Alasdair Baxter Computer Support 6 06-27-2004 04:40 PM
Keyboard connector pre-PS2 Fieldwater Computer Support 3 01-23-2004 07:08 PM

Advertisments