Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > Microsoft Certification > MCITP: SQL Server 2005 or 2008

MCITP: SQL Server 2005 or 2008

Joe C.

i just recently started with a company who's willing to support a
MCITP certification for database developer.

SQL Sever 2008 having been released to manufacturing days ago, the
certification program appears to be in the pipeline for the near
immediate future.

this seems like a pretty obvious decision, but would you suggest
waiting for the certification program for 2008? or proceed with 2005
and worry about extending the certification to 2008 further down the
road?

i'm leaning towards waiting for the 1st qrt of 2009 when training
programs are expected for SQL Server 2008.

any input would be greatly appreciated.

- Joe

jeff

Since SQL 2008 isn't even out, go ahead and start working on your 2005 stuff.
Its going to be a little while before companies start making the move to 2008
and the differences between the two aren't quite as earth moving as the move
from 2000 to 2005. I have passed the 229 a few years ago and it is still a valid
certification mostly because advances in SQL are built upon the previous
release. At the same time, I have also passed my 431 which deals more with the
DBA stuff and that has changed quite a bit from 2000 to 2005. From what I've had
the chance to play with, the DBA portion hasn't changed much from 2005 to 2008.

--
jeff fisher, MCP
www.turbofish.com

Joe C.

Thank you for the great insight, it definitely points me in the right
direction.

On Aug 9, 10:41*am, "jeff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> SinceSQL2008 isn't even out, go ahead and start working on your 2005 stuff.
> Its going to be a little while before companies start making the move to 2008
> and the differences between the two aren't quite as earth moving as the move
> from 2000 to 2005. I have passed the 229 a few years ago and it is still a validcertificationmostly because advances inSQLare built upon the previous
> release. At the same time, I have also passed my 431 which deals more with the
> DBA stuff and that has changed quite a bit from 2000 to 2005. From what I've had
> the chance to play with, the DBA portion hasn't changed much from 2005 to 2008.
>
> On 8/8/2008 5:56:32 PM, "Joe C." wrote:
>
> > i'm leaning towards waiting for the 1st qrt of 2009 when training
> > programs are expected forSQLServer 2008.

> --
> jeff fisher, MCPwww.turbofish.com

jeff

With that said, I'm playing with the SQL 2008 RFM now

--
jeff fisher, MCP
www.turbofish.com

Chris

I've got a similar dilema to Joe,

Recently passed 70-445 and planning next on doing 70-431 and 70-446 but then
worried about what upgrade path I might need to do before starting the
441-444 series.

Working with RC0 of SQL server 2008 at home and finding my way around it
well so confident that learning time will not be wasted but I don't want to
spend too much money on exams when I may need to sit an upgrade months later