Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Reccommended DECT / VOIP phone?

Reccommended DECT / VOIP phone?

Lobster

I'm looking to replace our old current household system of 3 DECT phones
with something a bit more up to date, which doesn't have stuck-down keys
and will get SWMBO off my back! Thing is, technology has moved on a
bit since I last looked and I haven't a clue what to go for. Any
suggestions please?

Requirements:
- DECT cordless (3 handsets needed)
- integral answering machine
- Caller display
- ?VOIP capability?

(Not sure about the voip thing - I currently have a wireless broadband
router and use voip comms occasionally via a softphone on the
computer... is it feasible to have a separate DECT phone which will
receive normal incoming calls via my ordinary landline, but if required
will dial out via VOIP, independent of a computer? Would have to be
totally easy and transparent to use, or SWMBO wouldn't go for it...)

Thanks a lot
David

Christian

Sounds like the Siemens VOIP/DECT-phones would meet all your requirements...
http://gigaset.siemens.com/shc/0,193...rNrNrN,00.html
Voip, Landline, up to 6 handsets, dialing out on the landline or VOIP-line
(account) of choice, etc, etc...

Christian

Gordon Henderson

In article <kgImk.186377$(E-Mail Removed)2>,
Lobster <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>I'm looking to replace our old current household system of 3 DECT phones
>with something a bit more up to date, which doesn't have stuck-down keys
>and will get SWMBO off my back! Thing is, technology has moved on a
>bit since I last looked and I haven't a clue what to go for. Any
>suggestions please?
>
>Requirements:
>- DECT cordless (3 handsets needed)
>- integral answering machine
>- Caller display
>- ?VOIP capability?
>
>(Not sure about the voip thing - I currently have a wireless broadband
>router and use voip comms occasionally via a softphone on the
>computer... is it feasible to have a separate DECT phone which will
>receive normal incoming calls via my ordinary landline, but if required
>will dial out via VOIP, independent of a computer? Would have to be
>totally easy and transparent to use, or SWMBO wouldn't go for it...)

http://www.voipon.co.uk/siemens-s685...one-p-902.html

The base station is *separate* from the handset, so the base station can
be wired into your router, which will probably be close to your BT line
too.

More handssets:

http://www.voipon.co.uk/siemens-s68-...one-p-903.html

While I've not used this particular unit, I have deployed many Siepems
C460IP units and been quite happy with them (it's also what I have at
home and it passes the swimbo test!)

Gordon

Tim

Lobster wrote:
> I'm looking to replace our old current household system of 3 DECT phones
> with something a bit more up to date, which doesn't have stuck-down keys
> and will get SWMBO off my back! Thing is, technology has moved on a
> bit since I last looked and I haven't a clue what to go for. Any
> suggestions please?
>
> Requirements:
> - DECT cordless (3 handsets needed)
> - integral answering machine
> - Caller display
> - ?VOIP capability?

You are looking for a Siemens C475IP or S685IP.

Then 2 additional handset. Either C47 or S68.

> (Not sure about the voip thing - I currently have a wireless broadband
> router and use voip comms occasionally via a softphone on the
> computer... is it feasible to have a separate DECT phone which will
> receive normal incoming calls via my ordinary landline, but if required
> will dial out via VOIP, independent of a computer? Would have to be
> totally easy and transparent to use, or SWMBO wouldn't go for it...)

The phone mentioned above have both normal phone and SIP (voip) calling
in the same base.

It is independent of your computer. It connects directly to your
router. You just need to setup a SIP account on base. Use sipgate,
gradwell, voipfone .....

You can choose which `line` calls go out on.

Tim

Lobster

Me wrote:
>> More handssets:
>>
>> http://www.voipon.co.uk/siemens-s68-...one-p-903.html
>>
>> While I've not used this particular unit, I have deployed many Siepems
>> C460IP units and been quite happy with them (it's also what I have at
>> home and it passes the swimbo test!)

> I have the S685's and they are very good. My only gripe is that
> occasionally, caller ID does not work properly.

Thanks all. That looks like a pretty unanimous vote for Siemens then!

David

Nick

Me wrote:
>> More handssets:
>>
>> http://www.voipon.co.uk/siemens-s68-...one-p-903.html
>>
>> While I've not used this particular unit, I have deployed many Siepems
>> C460IP units and been quite happy with them (it's also what I have at
>> home and it passes the swimbo test!)

> I have the S685's and they are very good. My only gripe is that
> occasionally, caller ID does not work properly.

Only had my S685IP a few days. I'm very impressed with both VoIP and
PSTN quality, hugely better than a SPA-3102.

I have noticed a single Caller ID failure, presumably this is a firmware
bug? Do Siemens do firmware updates?

Lobster

Christian wrote:
> Sounds like the Siemens VOIP/DECT-phones would meet all your requirements...
> http://gigaset.siemens.com/shc/0,193...rNrNrN,00.html
> Voip, Landline, up to 6 handsets, dialing out on the landline or VOIP-line
> (account) of choice, etc, etc...

Thanks again for the advice. Couple of follow-up q's on this phone please?:

1. I've read here:
<http://www.amazon.co.uk/SIEMENS-GIGASET-S685-PHONE-S685IP/dp/B0017TQF8O/ref=pd_sbs_ce_1>
"Internet and Landline Calls from 1 Handset" - I'm not sure what that's
saying, or even if it's actually accurate from what I've also read on
Siemens' own site. If I have three of these handsets, surely all three
will give me full functionality won't they? Or not...?

2. Would it be possible to register one of my old dect phones with a new
Gigaset system? Obviously I know it wouldn't have voip capability but
would it be possible to make and receive fixed-line calls? (I'm just
considering that the last of my three required handsets doesn't get used
much, and I could save by buying two rather than three Gigaset handsets
- one of my old dect phones is still in perfectly OK order)

Thanks
David

Nick

Lobster wrote:
> Christian wrote:
>> Sounds like the Siemens VOIP/DECT-phones would meet all your
>> requirements...
>> http://gigaset.siemens.com/shc/0,193...rNrNrN,00.html
>> Voip, Landline, up to 6 handsets, dialing out on the landline or
>> VOIP-line (account) of choice, etc, etc...

> Thanks again for the advice. Couple of follow-up q's on this phone please?:
>
> 1. I've read here:
> <http://www.amazon.co.uk/SIEMENS-GIGASET-S685-PHONE-S685IP/dp/B0017TQF8O/ref=pd_sbs_ce_1>
> "Internet and Landline Calls from 1 Handset" - I'm not sure what that's
> saying, or even if it's actually accurate from what I've also read on
> Siemens' own site. If I have three of these handsets, surely all three
> will give me full functionality won't they? Or not...?

I think it just means you can use both VoIP and PSTN from any of the
handsets. All handsets seem to give full functionality in this respect.

> 2. Would it be possible to register one of my old dect phones with a new
> Gigaset system? Obviously I know it wouldn't have voip capability but
> would it be possible to make and receive fixed-line calls? (I'm just
> considering that the last of my three required handsets doesn't get used
> much, and I could save by buying two rather than three Gigaset handsets
> - one of my old dect phones is still in perfectly OK order)

Yes you can if the old handset is GAP compatible. You can also make VoIP
or PSTN lines from the old handset. VoIP is the default but you can use
PSTN if you hold down the dial key for longer on the S68H or add * after
the number on an old dect handset.

I use 4 old handsets and only 1 Siemens S68H handset.

> Thanks
> David

Lobster

Nick wrote:
> Lobster wrote:
>> Christian wrote:
>>> Sounds like the Siemens VOIP/DECT-phones would meet all your
>>> requirements...
>>> http://gigaset.siemens.com/shc/0,193...rNrNrN,00.html
>>> Voip, Landline, up to 6 handsets, dialing out on the landline or
>>> VOIP-line (account) of choice, etc, etc...

>> Thanks again for the advice. Couple of follow-up q's on this phone
>> please?:

>> 2. Would it be possible to register one of my old dect phones with a
>> new Gigaset system? Obviously I know it wouldn't have voip capability
>> but would it be possible to make and receive fixed-line calls? (I'm
>> just considering that the last of my three required handsets doesn't
>> get used much, and I could save by buying two rather than three
>> Gigaset handsets - one of my old dect phones is still in perfectly OK
>> order)
>>

> Yes you can if the old handset is GAP compatible. You can also make VoIP
> or PSTN lines from the old handset. VoIP is the default but you can use
> PSTN if you hold down the dial key for longer on the S68H or add * after
> the number on an old dect handset.

Now *that* is good news on several levels. I'd assumed I'd need to try
and train SWMBO to select VOIP on a per-call basis - defaulting is much
better!

> I use 4 old handsets and only 1 Siemens S68H handset.

I might well do likewise - at least, it's got to be worth buying a
single phone to start with rather than a multipack.

Thanks
David

Dave Saville

On Sat, 9 Aug 2008 12:10:52 UTC, Nick <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Only had my S685IP a few days. I'm very impressed with both VoIP and
> PSTN quality, hugely better than a SPA-3102.
>
> I have noticed a single Caller ID failure, presumably this is a firmware
> bug? Do Siemens do firmware updates?

Yes, my S450IP tells me there is an upgrade or, on this system, you
can check if there are any from the handset or the web interface to
the base.

HTH

--
Regards
Dave Saville

reccommended work flow for unit tests and databases in ruby Adam Akhtar Ruby 14 01-12-2009 01:20 PM
VoIP gateway + DECT answering machine Mr.Muppster UK VOIP 1 01-03-2006 12:47 PM
dect phones added to voip m0rk UK VOIP 4 07-30-2005 05:07 PM
VoIP alternative to DECT Dee UK VOIP 1 05-22-2005 09:18 PM
Reccommended monitoring programs Steve Computer Security 2 09-05-2003 08:26 PM

Advertisments