Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Reccommended DECT / VOIP phone?

Reccommended DECT / VOIP phone?

Christian

> Now *that* is good news on several levels. I'd assumed I'd need to
> try and train SWMBO to select VOIP on a per-call basis - defaulting
> is much better!

There's actually even a possibility to enter dialling rules: e.g. dial all
number starting with "123" on VOIP-provider X, "456" via VOIP-provider Y,
"789" via landline, etc...

Christian

Roger Mills

Me <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Sat, 09 Aug 2008 13:13:50 +0100, Lobster
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Christian wrote:
>>> Sounds like the Siemens VOIP/DECT-phones would meet all your
>>> requirements...
>>> http://gigaset.siemens.com/shc/0,193...rNrNrN,00.html
>>> Voip, Landline, up to 6 handsets, dialing out on the landline or
>>> VOIP-line (account) of choice, etc, etc...

>> Thanks again for the advice. Couple of follow-up q's on this phone
>> please?:
>>
>> 1. I've read here:
>> <http://www.amazon.co.uk/SIEMENS-GIGASET-S685-PHONE-S685IP/dp/B0017TQF8O/ref=pd_sbs_ce_1>
>> "Internet and Landline Calls from 1 Handset" - I'm not sure what
>> that's saying, or even if it's actually accurate from what I've also
>> read on Siemens' own site. If I have three of these handsets,
>> surely all three will give me full functionality won't they? Or
>> not...?

> As an owner of the 685s I can tell you that you can have 1 PSTN call
> and 2 VOIP calls all at the same time.
>
> You can enter up to 6 SIP accounts onto the system plus Siemens own
> VOIP offering called Gigaset.
>
> You can decide, from the web interface, which phones ring when a
> landline of SIP call is received and you can also decide which
> accounts use the answerphone and which don't.
>
> I can also confirm you can have rules that either block outgoing calls
> or allow you to choose which calls go where. For example, I have any
> number beginning with 00 going out on one of my SIP accounts. My place
> of work also has a VOIP system so as I work from home some of the
> time, I have programmed my house phones to dial out on my office SIP
> account if the number dialled begins with 40 or 41 (office extensions
> being from 4000 to 4199)
>
> If you have any more questions feel free to ask.
>
> Me

Sounds wonderful! No-one has mentioned a price yet - what do these things
cost?
--
Cheers,
Roger

Lobster

Roger Mills wrote:
> In an earlier contribution to this discussion,
> Me <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 09 Aug 2008 13:13:50 +0100, Lobster
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> Thanks again for the advice. Couple of follow-up q's on this phone
>>> please?:
>>>
>>> 1. I've read here:
>>> <http://www.amazon.co.uk/SIEMENS-GIGASET-S685-PHONE-S685IP/dp/B0017TQF8O/ref=pd_sbs_ce_1>
>>> "Internet and Landline Calls from 1 Handset" - I'm not sure what
>>> that's saying, or even if it's actually accurate from what I've also
>>> read on Siemens' own site. If I have three of these handsets,
>>> surely all three will give me full functionality won't they? Or
>>> not...?

>> As an owner of the 685s I can tell you that you can have 1 PSTN call
>> and 2 VOIP calls all at the same time.
>>
>> You can enter up to 6 SIP accounts onto the system plus Siemens own
>> VOIP offering called Gigaset.
>>
>> You can decide, from the web interface, which phones ring when a
>> landline of SIP call is received and you can also decide which
>> accounts use the answerphone and which don't.
>>
>> I can also confirm you can have rules that either block outgoing calls
>> or allow you to choose which calls go where. For example, I have any
>> number beginning with 00 going out on one of my SIP accounts. My place
>> of work also has a VOIP system so as I work from home some of the
>> time, I have programmed my house phones to dial out on my office SIP
>> account if the number dialled begins with 40 or 41 (office extensions
>> being from 4000 to 4199)
>>
>> If you have any more questions feel free to ask.

Thanks for that - watch this space as I went ahead and ordered one: no
doubt I'll soon have queries shortly of the
'how-the-hell-do-you-do-this' variety

> Sounds wonderful! No-one has mentioned a price yet - what do these things
> cost?

100 squids delivered for the single-handset model. Have to say it will
take a long time to recoup the cost based on my own calling patterns -
it was really all the features which sold it to me.

David

TheFug

Lobster schreef:
> Nick wrote:
>> Lobster wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks again for the advice. Couple of follow-up q's on this phone
>>> please?:

>>> 2. Would it be possible to register one of my old dect phones with a
>>> new Gigaset system? Obviously I know it wouldn't have voip
>>> capability but would it be possible to make and receive fixed-line
>>> calls? (I'm just considering that the last of my three required
>>> handsets doesn't get used much, and I could save by buying two rather
>>> than three Gigaset handsets - one of my old dect phones is still in
>>> perfectly OK order)
>>>

>> Yes you can if the old handset is GAP compatible. You can also make VoIP
>> or PSTN lines from the old handset. VoIP is the default but you can
>> use PSTN if you hold down the dial key for longer on the S68H or add *
>> after the number on an old dect handset.

> Now *that* is good news on several levels. I'd assumed I'd need to try
> and train SWMBO to select VOIP on a per-call basis - defaulting is much
> better!
>
>> I use 4 old handsets and only 1 Siemens S68H handset.

> I might well do likewise - at least, it's got to be worth buying a
> single phone to start with rather than a multipack.
>
> Thanks
> David

You must keep in mind, you have full functionality, if you buy: C450IP
set, with a C45 separate handset.
Better buy one of the newer types: S470IP you can register more VSP's
and make a dialplan in the set itself.

--
Bedankt, Thanks,

The Fug.

Lobster

Lobster wrote:
> Roger Mills wrote:
>> In an earlier contribution to this discussion,
>> Me <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> As an owner of the 685s I can tell you that you can have 1 PSTN call
>>> and 2 VOIP calls all at the same time.
>>>
>>> You can enter up to 6 SIP accounts onto the system plus Siemens own
>>> VOIP offering called Gigaset.
>>>
>>> You can decide, from the web interface, which phones ring when a
>>> landline of SIP call is received and you can also decide which
>>> accounts use the answerphone and which don't.
>>>
>>> I can also confirm you can have rules that either block outgoing calls
>>> or allow you to choose which calls go where. For example, I have any
>>> number beginning with 00 going out on one of my SIP accounts. My place
>>> of work also has a VOIP system so as I work from home some of the
>>> time, I have programmed my house phones to dial out on my office SIP
>>> account if the number dialled begins with 40 or 41 (office extensions
>>> being from 4000 to 4199)
>>>
>>> If you have any more questions feel free to ask.

> Thanks for that - watch this space as I went ahead and ordered one: no
> doubt I'll soon have queries shortly of the
> 'how-the-hell-do-you-do-this' variety

I'm back! as predicted

I've now got my S685IP system but am having a helluva game getting it
set up with VOIP. I already have a Sipgate account which I've used for
some time with a softphone on my laptop when travelling; however I can't
get my new S685IP to recognise it. I've entered my Sipgate account
details in to the phone (tried both directly and via the web interface),
but it just comes back with "Registration failed" and I can't figure out
why.

I'm connecting via a Linksys WRT54G router; is there anything I need to
tweak with this to achieve success? IIRC I did have issues in the past
with this model about something to do with Plug and Play - could that be
related? Presumably I'm 'getting through' to the internet as I keep
getting weather forecasts for spurious cities on the phone's display...

This may be something very basic, but it's beyond my limited knowledge
of voipy stuff. Any advice appreciated.

Thanks
David

tinnews@isbd.co.uk

Me <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 18:01:35 +0100, Lobster
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> >I'm back! as predicted
> >
> >I've now got my S685IP system but am having a helluva game getting it
> >set up with VOIP. I already have a Sipgate account which I've used for
> >some time with a softphone on my laptop when travelling; however I can't
> >get my new S685IP to recognise it. I've entered my Sipgate account
> >details in to the phone (tried both directly and via the web interface),
> >but it just comes back with "Registration failed" and I can't figure out
> >why.
> >
> >I'm connecting via a Linksys WRT54G router; is there anything I need to
> >tweak with this to achieve success? IIRC I did have issues in the past
> >with this model about something to do with Plug and Play - could that be
> >related? Presumably I'm 'getting through' to the internet as I keep
> >getting weather forecasts for spurious cities on the phone's display...
> >
> >This may be something very basic, but it's beyond my limited knowledge
> >of voipy stuff. Any advice appreciated.
> >

> I have used 3 different routers and none of them presented me with any
> VOIP issues.
>
> I use a couple of Sipgate accounts. I always set them from the web
> interface and they both work fine. I have not opened any SIP ports on
> any of the routers either. I just enter the username, password and the
> SIP server. I am not sure what else I can say - except I guess it must
> be a router issue - so I would try and open SIP port 5060 and forward
> it to the IP of the Siemens

I too have Siemens DECT phones and I too have a Sipgate VOIP account
set up on them which 'just worked' once I had put the user name and
password in.

I seem to remember I was confused by the Web interface asking for an
"Authentication Name" *and* a "Username". I put my Sipgate user name
into both these fields and it works, I'm not sure if it needs both.

> I set the weather for my home town which is marginally more helpful that
> the cities that are displayed by default!

Ditto, but the weather display is pretty pointless IMHO.

--
Chris Green

Lobster

Me wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 18:01:35 +0100, Lobster
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>> I'm back! as predicted
>>
>> I've now got my S685IP system but am having a helluva game getting it
>> set up with VOIP. I already have a Sipgate account which I've used for
>> some time with a softphone on my laptop when travelling; however I can't
>> get my new S685IP to recognise it. I've entered my Sipgate account
>> details in to the phone (tried both directly and via the web interface),
>> but it just comes back with "Registration failed" and I can't figure out
>> why.
>>
>> I'm connecting via a Linksys WRT54G router; is there anything I need to
>> tweak with this to achieve success? IIRC I did have issues in the past
>> with this model about something to do with Plug and Play - could that be
>> related? Presumably I'm 'getting through' to the internet as I keep
>> getting weather forecasts for spurious cities on the phone's display...
>>
>> This may be something very basic, but it's beyond my limited knowledge
>> of voipy stuff. Any advice appreciated.

> I use a couple of Sipgate accounts. I always set them from the web
> interface and they both work fine. I have not opened any SIP ports on
> any of the routers either. I just enter the username, password and the
> SIP server. I am not sure what else I can say - except I guess it must
> be a router issue - so I would try and open SIP port 5060 and forward
> it to the IP of the Siemens

Thanks a lot, Me - opening port 5060 on the router seems to have done
the trick!

Still having a lot of issues getting it all working properly; seems a
pretty steep learning curve and it's taking forever to set up. I don't
want to keep coming back here bleating every time I hit a wall so am
trying to work things out for myself. Spent most of yesterday evening
trying to get my PC Outlook contacts uploaded and synchronised with the
handset - unsuccessfuly but did make some progress! I'm sure I'll be
back...

David

tinnews@isbd.co.uk

Me <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >The main advantage is that as well as the good IP stufff, it effectively
> >gives you a two line DECT phone and nobody sells them...
> >

> In the case of the 685, it is effectively a 3 line system as you can
> have 1 PSTN and two VOIP calls simultaneously.

Yes, it still surprises me (and confuses other people) when I can find
a lost phone by phoning from one of the other phones! It does confuse
the phones a little too, they don't seem to be able to cope with a
missed call from themselves. (OK, I could find the lost phone by
making an internal call but that never occurs to me first time around)

--
Chris Green

Tim

R. Mark Clayton wrote:
> The main advantage is that as well as the good IP stufff, it effectively
> gives you a two line DECT phone and nobody sells them...

Nobody sells them?

The C460IP is discontinued now. Replaced by C475IP.

There will soon be an A580IP, which is a closer replacement (cost wise)
to the C460IP.

Tim

Dave Saville

On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 19:08:39 UTC, Tim <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> R. Mark Clayton wrote:
> > The main advantage is that as well as the good IP stufff, it effectively
> > gives you a two line DECT phone and nobody sells them...
> >

> Nobody sells them?

I think he meant nobody sells two line DECT phones
--
Regards
Dave Saville

reccommended work flow for unit tests and databases in ruby Adam Akhtar Ruby 14 01-12-2009 01:20 PM
VoIP gateway + DECT answering machine Mr.Muppster UK VOIP 1 01-03-2006 12:47 PM
dect phones added to voip m0rk UK VOIP 4 07-30-2005 05:07 PM
VoIP alternative to DECT Dee UK VOIP 1 05-22-2005 09:18 PM
Reccommended monitoring programs Steve Computer Security 2 09-05-2003 08:26 PM

Advertisments