Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Richard Stallman on Kim Hill Sat 9th Aug

Richard Stallman on Kim Hill Sat 9th Aug

Adam

National Radio announces that Richard Stallman
is a guest on the Kim Hill programme, Saturday
morning 9th Aug.

Should be interesting, those two together.

Maybe they'll talk about ACTA, or maybe not.
http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/SC0807/S00055.htm

ACTA is also written up in a recent computer magazine,
I'm not sure which one. It sounds quite concerning
for anyone that uses the internet.

Peter

Adam wrote:
> National Radio announces that Richard Stallman
> is a guest on the Kim Hill programme, Saturday
> morning 9th Aug.
>
> Should be interesting, those two together.

Well, it would be interesting if RMS actually made it to the interview.

Peter

Freesias wrote:

> Podcast still not yet on the website. (

It is there now ...
http://www.radionz.co.nz/podcasts/allrnz.rss

But in mp3 format, despite Kim Hill saying they'd put it up as an ogg file
(since ogg is a free libre format).

peterwn

On Aug 9, 9:59 am, Freesias <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Thu, 07 Aug 2008 21:22:11 +1200, Adam wrote:
> > National Radio announces that Richard Stallman is a guest on the Kim
> > Hill programme, Saturday morning 9th Aug.

> > Should be interesting, those two together.

> > Maybe they'll talk about ACTA, or maybe not.
> >http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/SC0807/S00055.htm

> > ACTA is also written up in a recent computer magazine, I'm not sure
> > which one. It sounds quite concerning for anyone that uses the internet.

> Podcast still not yet on the website. (

At 8.15am, Kim advised that he 'no showed'. She said that he does not
have a cell phone as they contain detestable proprietary software.
Hence her producer could not contact him.

Gordon

On 2008-08-09, peterwn <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Aug 9, 9:59 am, Freesias <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On Thu, 07 Aug 2008 21:22:11 +1200, Adam wrote:
>> > National Radio announces that Richard Stallman is a guest on the Kim
>> > Hill programme, Saturday morning 9th Aug.

>> > Should be interesting, those two together.

>> > Maybe they'll talk about ACTA, or maybe not.
>> >http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/SC0807/S00055.htm

>> > ACTA is also written up in a recent computer magazine, I'm not sure
>> > which one. It sounds quite concerning for anyone that uses the internet.

>> Podcast still not yet on the website. (
>>

> At 8.15am, Kim advised that he 'no showed'. She said that he does not
> have a cell phone as they contain detestable proprietary software.
> Hence her producer could not contact him.

YES! RMS has discovered that a telephone is for contacting someone on, not
vica versa

Gordon

On 2008-08-09, Mark Robinson <(E-Mail Removed)2tod.net> wrote:
> peterwn wrote:
>>> Podcast still not yet on the website. (
>>>

>> At 8.15am, Kim advised that he 'no showed'. She said that he does not
>> have a cell phone as they contain detestable proprietary software.
>> Hence her producer could not contact him.

> http://podcast.radionz.co.nz/sat/sat...reedom-048.mp3

How delightfully ironic that a podcast, read audio, is on a web page. Why
does Firefox, or another broswer have to do this.

isa:// for It is Audio might be another protocol in the making.

Finally, I do not think that mp3 is Open Source Software, and yet this file
is. See above. {

Jasen Betts

On 2008-08-09, Peter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Freesias wrote:
>>
>> Podcast still not yet on the website. (

> It is there now ...
> http://www.radionz.co.nz/podcasts/allrnz.rss
>
> But in mp3 format, despite Kim Hill saying they'd put it up as an ogg file
> (since ogg is a free libre format).

not only mp3 it's also there in asf
http://202.7.7.90/rnz/sat/sat-200808...a?MSWMExt=.asf
Richard stallman will no doubt like that even less :^)

Possibly the inclusion of the OGG format podcast was a list-minute
thing and is waiting for someone who knows how to run the codec to
show up on monday.

Bye.
Jasen

Jasen Betts

On 2008-08-09, Gordon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> http://podcast.radionz.co.nz/sat/sat...reedom-048.mp3

> How delightfully ironic that a podcast, read audio, is on a web page. Why
> does Firefox, or another broswer have to do this.

you are miskaen http is not a file format, it's how the server
communicates with the clients. there are many things that are not web
pages that are still provided via http.

I can point wget, (or vlc) at that URL and download (or hear) the audio.

> Finally, I do not think that mp3 is Open Source Software, and yet this file
> is. See above. {

if if you save the GPL in word (or MS reader) format it's still the GPL

Bye.
Jasen

Jasen Betts

On 2008-08-09, joe_90 <joe_90_remove@nospam_myhttpmail.com> wrote:
> Gordon wrote:
>
>> Finally, I do not think that mp3 is Open Source Software, and yet this file
>> is. See above. {

> RMS requested the audio be put on the RNZ web site in Ogg Vorbis format
>
> http://podcast.radionz.co.nz/sat/sat...an_Freedom.ogg

I didn't see that link when I visited their site.

--

Bye.
Jasen