Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Re: Vista Complete Backup "Not enough space"

Re: Vista Complete Backup "Not enough space"

Gordon

On 2008-08-06, ofn01 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Problem + Probable solution below...
>
> I've been using vistas complete backup for a while - but after a number of
> backups it keeps saying there is not enough space.
>
> It says when backing up that it will delete the oldest backup to make space,
> but it does not seem to do this.
>
> There seem to be a few people out there experiencing this:
> http://www.vistax64.com/vista-file-m...ugh-space.html
>
> Anyway - it seems that you can delete the actual backups in the backup
> directory manually as an administrator.
>
> But there is still used up space - to get rid of this you use
> start/programs/accessories/system tools/disk cleanup
>
> See here:
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...139d91033.mspx
>
> This got rid of everything & I did a fresh backup. What I think I will do
> next time is just try the second part to get rid of the old backups & see if
> it leaves the latest there.
>
> Bit annoying it doesn't do it automatically but at least I didn't have to
> format the drive.

All I can say, Microsoft in action. You paid for this.

Microsft has never been good at getting the details right in the engine
room.

Final thought, unless backups are *easy* one will not do them.

Backups will be needed, or have been needed by *all* computer users.

Backups can suddenly rise in value from a negative amount ( the effort
needed to make it) to a extremely high value.

impossible

"ofn01" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:489aa395$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Gordon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On 2008-08-06, ofn01 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> Problem + Probable solution below...
>>>
>>> I've been using vistas complete backup for a while - but after a number
>>> of
>>> backups it keeps saying there is not enough space.
>>>
>>> It says when backing up that it will delete the oldest backup to make
>>> space,
>>> but it does not seem to do this.
>>>
>>> There seem to be a few people out there experiencing this:
>>> http://www.vistax64.com/vista-file-m...ugh-space.html
>>>
>>> Anyway - it seems that you can delete the actual backups in the backup
>>> directory manually as an administrator.
>>>
>>> But there is still used up space - to get rid of this you use
>>> start/programs/accessories/system tools/disk cleanup
>>>
>>> See here:
>>> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...139d91033.mspx
>>>
>>> This got rid of everything & I did a fresh backup. What I think I will
>>> do
>>> next time is just try the second part to get rid of the old backups &
>>> see if
>>> it leaves the latest there.
>>>
>>> Bit annoying it doesn't do it automatically but at least I didn't have
>>> format the drive.
>>>

>> All I can say, Microsoft in action. You paid for this.
>>
>> Microsft has never been good at getting the details right in the engine
>> room.
>>
>> Final thought, unless backups are *easy* one will not do them.

> Thats the thing -the actual process is really fine - just a few clicks and
> it comes free with the OS.
>
> As with all my other backup strategies prior to this, I have more than one
> way of backing up & storing critical data.
>
> I was really just posting this for those who may come across the same
> problem in the future.

Yes, the Vista backup applet is really quite good. Of course, if Microsoft
had built the **perfect** backup system into Vista, all the anti-Microsoft
muppets here would be complaining that this was an unfair, anti-competitive
move designed to lock-in the MS monopoly.