Velocity Reviews > General Discussion > Front Page News > NVIDIA GPU PhysX Pack Preview

NVIDIA GPU PhysX Pack Preview

Ian Ian is offline
Administrator
Ian's Avatar

Hot Hardware have some information on the NVIDIA GPU PhysX Pack, essentially using the GPU to perform some physics calculations (rather than the CPU):

Quote:
Physics: as geeks, we just have to love the subject. We loved learning about geniuses like Isaac Newton and concepts like gravity, acceleration and inertia. Also, typical of geeks, we love gaming. So, combining physics acceleration and gaming just sounds like a really cool idea. For the past several years, we've been learning more and more about physics in gaming in the form of PhysX, a technology created by a company called Ageia. The original approach to PhysX by Ageia was a dedicated PhysX card that sported a PPU (physics processing unit). Ageia partnered with companies like BFG and ASUS to bring the PhysX cards to market. We actually reviewed the BFG version here in the HotHardware labs over two years ago. The entire real-time, in-game physics landscape has changed quite a bit since that time, however. With NVIDIA's relatively recent acquisition of Ageia, we all knew it was only a matter of time before we'd see some kind of announcement or launch detailing what NVIDIA's plans were with the PhysX technology...
Find out more here.