Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Dodgy hard drive?

Dodgy hard drive?

clonez@gmail.com

I've recently done an upgrade (board/CPU/RAM/GFX/Hard Drive), the
drive is a Seagate ST3500320AS 500GB SATA.
Started up this morning and click click click from the 3 day old hard
drive! Tried again, same. 3rd time booted OK. Ran HD Sentinel and
“Problematic or weak sectors were not found and there are no spin up
or data transfer errors. “ Turned it on just now and another lot of 4
clicks x 3, then boots ok.
Should I get this replaced ASAP, or is it just a hiccup? Knowing my
luck I suspect a lemon.

impossible

"Mark Robinson" <(E-Mail Removed)2tod.net> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)2tod.net...
>> I've recently done an upgrade (board/CPU/RAM/GFX/Hard Drive), the
>> drive is a Seagate ST3500320AS 500GB SATA.
>> Started up this morning and click click click from the 3 day old hard
>> drive! Tried again, same. 3rd time booted OK. Ran HD Sentinel and
>> “Problematic or weak sectors were not found and there are no spin up
>> or data transfer errors. “ Turned it on just now and another lot of 4
>> clicks x 3, then boots ok.
>> Should I get this replaced ASAP, or is it just a hiccup? Knowing my
>> luck I suspect a lemon.

> http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/sup...oads/seatools/

Exactly. If SeaTools says your drive is faulty, you can RMA it with no
hassle.

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarweb "(E-Mail Removed)" typed:
> I've recently done an upgrade (board/CPU/RAM/GFX/Hard Drive), the
> drive is a Seagate ST3500320AS 500GB SATA.
> Started up this morning and click click click from the 3 day old hard
> drive! Tried again, same. 3rd time booted OK. Ran HD Sentinel and
> “Problematic or weak sectors were not found and there are no spin up
> or data transfer errors. “ Turned it on just now and another lot of 4
> clicks x 3, then boots ok.
> Should I get this replaced ASAP, or is it just a hiccup? Knowing my
> luck I suspect a lemon.

Keep backups, Seagate have a 5 year warranty, it's bit early to be saying
it's a lemon.

My first thought is whether your PSU is sufficiently powerful as you don't
list it with your upgraded components. I've seen many upgrades where the PSU
is 'recycled' in a new system requiring more power (definition of 'upgrade'
in this context no?) that have ended in tears.

When does the clicking occur? Where does the bootup stop? Is there an error
message?

Cheers,
--
Shaun.

me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate...

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarweb "Richard" typed:
> Mark Robinson wrote:
>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>> I've recently done an upgrade (board/CPU/RAM/GFX/Hard Drive), the
>>> drive is a Seagate ST3500320AS 500GB SATA.
>>> Started up this morning and click click click from the 3 day old
>>> hard drive! Tried again, same. 3rd time booted OK. Ran HD Sentinel
>>> and “Problematic or weak sectors were not found and there are no
>>> spin up or data transfer errors. “ Turned it on just now and
>>> another lot of 4 clicks x 3, then boots ok.
>>> Should I get this replaced ASAP, or is it just a hiccup? Knowing my
>>> luck I suspect a lemon.

>> http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/sup...oads/seatools/

> Mine was doing that when the PSU was on the way out, and you didnt
> list that in what you have replaced.

LOL, great minds. I should have hit "Sync All" before replying. <g>
--

On Aug 6, 2:18*pm, "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Somewhere on teh intarweb "(E-Mail Removed)" typed:
>
> > I've recently done an upgrade (board/CPU/RAM/GFX/Hard Drive), the
> > drive is a Seagate ST3500320AS 500GB SATA.
> > Started up this morning and click click click from the 3 day old hard
> > drive! Tried again, same. 3rd time booted OK. Ran HD Sentinel and
> > “Problematic or weak sectors were not found and there are no spin up
> > or data transfer errors. “ Turned it on just now and another lot of 4
> > clicks x 3, then boots ok.
> > Should I get this replaced ASAP, or is it just a hiccup? Knowing my
> > luck I suspect a lemon.

> Keep backups, Seagate have a 5 year warranty, it's bit early to be saying
> it's a lemon.
>
> My first thought is whether your PSU is sufficiently powerful as you don't
> list it with your upgraded components. I've seen many upgrades where the PSU
> is 'recycled' in a new system requiring more power (definition of 'upgrade'
> in this context no?) that have ended in tears.

Arrgh, knew I'd forgotten to list something. Yep, it's a new Acbel
PC7005 "E2 Power 470"

The board is an Asus P5K-E, and I noticed EATX12V socket is half
covered with a cap. It mentions using "only either a 4-pin ATX12V
(which I've plugged into the uncovered side) or an 8-pin EPS+12V
plug". My PSU has another 4-pin - should I remove the cap and plug
that in? Damn these new boards are confusing, I've not done a build
since my Athlon 2500 5 years ago.

> When does the clicking occur? Where does the bootup stop? Is there an error
> message?

Just after Post-ing, Sata device #1 not found or similar. It then
tries to find another bootable device.
The next time I booted it went through fine, so it's not doing it
every time.
Just working through the Seatools basic tests now, (all passed so far)
up to the Long Generic.

Bobs

On Aug 6, 11:36*am, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I've recently done an upgrade (board/CPU/RAM/GFX/Hard Drive), the
> drive is a Seagate ST3500320AS 500GB SATA.
> Started up this morning and click click click from the 3 day old hard
> drive! Tried again, same. 3rd time booted OK. Ran HD Sentinel and
> “Problematic or weak sectors were not found and there are no spin up
> or data transfer errors. “ Turned it on just now and another lot of 4
> clicks x 3, then boots ok.
> Should I get this replaced ASAP, or is it just a hiccup? Knowing my
> luck I suspect a lemon.

Yeah, what others said. PSU seems quite likely. Could be the hard
drive is not getting enough juice and keeps powering off.

Bobs

On Aug 6, 3:27*pm, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> On Aug 6, 2:18*pm, "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> > Somewhere on teh intarweb "(E-Mail Removed)" typed:

> > > I've recently done an upgrade (board/CPU/RAM/GFX/Hard Drive), the
> > > drive is a Seagate ST3500320AS 500GB SATA.
> > > Started up this morning and click click click from the 3 day old hard
> > > drive! Tried again, same. 3rd time booted OK. Ran HD Sentinel and
> > > “Problematic or weak sectors were not found and there are no spin up
> > > or data transfer errors. “ Turned it on just now and another lot of 4
> > > clicks x 3, then boots ok.
> > > Should I get this replaced ASAP, or is it just a hiccup? Knowing my
> > > luck I suspect a lemon.

> > Keep backups, Seagate have a 5 year warranty, it's bit early to be saying
> > it's a lemon.

> > My first thought is whether your PSU is sufficiently powerful as you don't
> > list it with your upgraded components. I've seen many upgrades where the PSU
> > is 'recycled' in a new system requiring more power (definition of 'upgrade'
> > in this context no?) that have ended in tears.

> Arrgh, knew I'd forgotten to list something. Yep, it's a new Acbel
> PC7005 "E2 Power 470"
>
> The board is an Asus P5K-E, and I noticed EATX12V socket is half
> covered with a cap. It mentions using "only either a 4-pin ATX12V
> (which I've plugged into the uncovered side) or an 8-pin EPS+12V
> plug". My PSU has another 4-pin - should I remove the cap and plug
> that in? Damn these new boards are confusing, I've not done a build
> since my Athlon 2500 5 years ago.

No, don't think so. EPS+12V was, I thought, mostly used for multi-
socket motherboards. It's coverered for a reason. You should have a 24
pin (20+4) as the main power socket and a secondary 4 pin 12V (which
you've plugged in) for the CPU.

> > When does the clicking occur? Where does the bootup stop? Is there an error
> > message?

> Just after Post-ing, Sata device #1 not found or similar. It then
> tries to find another bootable device.
> The next time I booted it went through fine, so it's not doing it
> every time.
> Just working through the Seatools basic tests now, (all passed so far)
> up to the Long Generic.- Hide quoted text -

Bobs

On Aug 6, 3:50*pm, Bobs <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Aug 6, 3:27*pm, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>

> > On Aug 6, 2:18*pm, "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > > Somewhere on teh intarweb "(E-Mail Removed)" typed:

> > > Keep backups, Seagate have a 5 year warranty, it's bit early to be saying
> > > it's a lemon.

> > > My first thought is whether your PSU is sufficiently powerful as you don't
> > > list it with your upgraded components. I've seen many upgrades where the PSU
> > > is 'recycled' in a new system requiring more power (definition of 'upgrade'
> > > in this context no?) that have ended in tears.

> > Arrgh, knew I'd forgotten to list something. Yep, it's a new Acbel
> > PC7005 "E2 Power 470"

> > The board is an Asus P5K-E, and I noticed EATX12V socket is half
> > covered with a cap. It mentions using "only either a 4-pin ATX12V
> > (which I've plugged into the uncovered side) or an 8-pin EPS+12V
> > plug". My PSU has another 4-pin - should I remove the cap and plug
> > that in? Damn these new boards are confusing, I've not done a build
> > since my Athlon 2500 5 years ago.

> No, don't think so. EPS+12V was, I thought, mostly used for multi-
> socket motherboards. It's coverered for a reason. You should have a 24
> pin (20+4) as the main power socket and a secondary 4 pin 12V (which
> you've plugged in) for the CPU.
>

> > > When does the clicking occur? Where does the bootup stop? Is there an error
> > > message?

> > Just after Post-ing, Sata device #1 not found or similar. It then
> > tries to find another bootable device.
> > The next time I booted it went through fine, so it's not doing it
> > every time.
> > Just working through the Seatools basic tests now, (all passed so far)
> > up to the Long Generic.- Hide quoted text -

Btw, make sure you've plugged the right ones in. The 4 pin 12V
connector that goes into the auxilery power socket is 12v and has
different colourerd wiring from the other 4 pin connector. They should
be keyed to only fit in the right place though.

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarweb "(E-Mail Removed)" typed:
> On Aug 6, 2:18 pm, "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Somewhere on teh intarweb "(E-Mail Removed)" typed:
>>
>>> I've recently done an upgrade (board/CPU/RAM/GFX/Hard Drive), the
>>> drive is a Seagate ST3500320AS 500GB SATA.
>>> Started up this morning and click click click from the 3 day old
>>> hard drive! Tried again, same. 3rd time booted OK. Ran HD Sentinel
>>> and “Problematic or weak sectors were not found and there are no
>>> spin up or data transfer errors. “ Turned it on just now and
>>> another lot of 4 clicks x 3, then boots ok.
>>> Should I get this replaced ASAP, or is it just a hiccup? Knowing my
>>> luck I suspect a lemon.

>> Keep backups, Seagate have a 5 year warranty, it's bit early to be
>> saying it's a lemon.
>>
>> My first thought is whether your PSU is sufficiently powerful as you
>> don't list it with your upgraded components. I've seen many upgrades
>> where the PSU is 'recycled' in a new system requiring more power
>> (definition of 'upgrade' in this context no?) that have ended in
>> tears.

> Arrgh, knew I'd forgotten to list something. Yep, it's a new Acbel
> PC7005 "E2 Power 470"
>
> The board is an Asus P5K-E, and I noticed EATX12V socket is half
> covered with a cap. It mentions using "only either a 4-pin ATX12V
> (which I've plugged into the uncovered side) or an 8-pin EPS+12V
> plug". My PSU has another 4-pin - should I remove the cap and plug
> that in? Damn these new boards are confusing, I've not done a build
> since my Athlon 2500 5 years ago.

I also went from an Athlon XP2500+ (@2.2GHz) to a P5K-E (WiFi-AP in my
case). Also, I use an AcBel PSU. I originally used an E2 Power 510 (and I
*did* pop off that cap on the mobo and used both 4 pin leads) but as I added
more HDDs (4 now) I decided to upgrade the PSU to an AcBel R8/700W.

>> When does the clicking occur? Where does the bootup stop? Is there
>> an error message?

> Just after Post-ing, Sata device #1 not found or similar. It then
> tries to find another bootable device.
> The next time I booted it went through fine, so it's not doing it
> every time.
> Just working through the Seatools basic tests now, (all passed so far)
> up to the Long Generic.

Depending on your CPU and GFX you could still be a bit underpowered.
However, for now, if it were my machine I'd re-seat both the SATA power
cable and both ends of the SATA data cable and try again. <fingers crossed>

Let us know what happens after you do that (if you haven't already). It
certainly still sounds like a 'power to hard-drive' issue to me.

Luck,
--

On Aug 6, 5:43*pm, "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Somewhere on teh intarweb "(E-Mail Removed)" typed:
> I also went from an Athlon XP2500+ (@2.2GHz) to a P5K-E (WiFi-AP in my
> case). Also, I use an AcBel PSU. I originally used an E2 Power 510 (and I
> *did* pop off that cap on the mobo and used both 4 pin leads) but as I added
> more HDDs (4 now) I decided to upgrade the PSU to an AcBel R8/700W.

This is the WiFi-AP edition (forgot that too, doh!) Would using both 4-
pin leads help anything, or would a gruntier PSU be better if all else
fails?

> >> When does the clicking occur? Where does the bootup stop? Is there
> >> an error message?

> > Just after Post-ing, Sata device #1 not found or similar. It then
> > tries to find another bootable device.
> > The next time I booted it went through fine, so it's not doing it
> > every time.
> > Just working through the Seatools basic tests now, (all passed so far)
> > up to the Long Generic.

> Depending on your CPU and GFX you could still be a bit underpowered.
> However, for now, if it were my machine I'd re-seat both the SATA power
> cable and both ends of the SATA data cable and try again. <fingers crossed>
>
> Let us know what happens after you do that (if you haven't already). It
> certainly still sounds like a 'power to hard-drive' issue to me.

It's been shut down for 90mins, and I've just re-seated the SATA power
& data cables, booted ok this time - it is a bit tight in there so I
may have slightly dislodged something when connecting the USB
connectors. I will cross my fingers and see what happens tomorrow
morning.

The CPU is Core 2 Duo E8200 / 2.66Ghz (45nm), and the GFX card ASUS
Extreme Nvidia 9600GT (Silent).
Other junk plugged in: IDE DVD ROM, IDE CD Writer and a floppy drive.

Thanks for the suggestions, will let you know how things are tomorrow
after bootup