Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > BT Videophone 2000/1000

BT Videophone 2000/1000

Gordon Henderson

Has anyone used these? Or managed to get them to with the a service
other than BTs... They do seem to good to be true - at the price, but if
they're locked to BT, then obviously that's no-use!

Cheers,

Gordon

Darren J Longhorn

On Tue, 5 Aug 2008 15:21:16 +0000 (UTC), Gordon Henderson
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Has anyone used these? Or managed to get them to with the a service
>other than BTs... They do seem to good to be true - at the price, but if
>they're locked to BT, then obviously that's no-use!

The 1000 is locked to BT. I suspect the 2000 is the same, but don't
know for sure.

Gordon Henderson

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Darren J Longhorn <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Tue, 5 Aug 2008 15:21:16 +0000 (UTC), Gordon Henderson
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Has anyone used these? Or managed to get them to with the a service
>>other than BTs... They do seem to good to be true - at the price, but if
>>they're locked to BT, then obviously that's no-use!

>The 1000 is locked to BT. I suspect the 2000 is the same, but don't
>know for sure.

Have done a lot of searches since I posted that... And although it's
locked, there is a way to thwart it, so I ordered a pair for 50 quid and
am going to have a play

Gordon

Darren J Longhorn

On Wed, 6 Aug 2008 08:33:29 +0000 (UTC), Gordon Henderson
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>Darren J Longhorn <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>On Tue, 5 Aug 2008 15:21:16 +0000 (UTC), Gordon Henderson
>><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>Has anyone used these? Or managed to get them to with the a service
>>>other than BTs... They do seem to good to be true - at the price, but if
>>>they're locked to BT, then obviously that's no-use!

>>The 1000 is locked to BT. I suspect the 2000 is the same, but don't
>>know for sure.

>Have done a lot of searches since I posted that... And although it's
>locked, there is a way to thwart it, so I ordered a pair for 50 quid and
>am going to have a play

I'd be very interested in a link to the thwarting mechanism.

Gordon Henderson

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Darren J Longhorn <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Wed, 6 Aug 2008 08:33:29 +0000 (UTC), Gordon Henderson
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>>Darren J Longhorn <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>>The 1000 is locked to BT. I suspect the 2000 is the same, but don't
>>>know for sure.

>>Have done a lot of searches since I posted that... And although it's
>>locked, there is a way to thwart it, so I ordered a pair for 50 quid and
>>am going to have a play

>I'd be very interested in a link to the thwarting mechanism.

Start here:

http://www.the-scream.co.uk/forums/t26646.html?

The trink would be to make sure they don't have Internet access before
you get everything setup - so they don't auto-upgrade their firmware...

I'll get my units tomorow, but to be useful, it looks like both sides will
need to do the "thwarting" which might limit it's usability to one site
only, but it'll prove a concept and I have a client who's intersted in
video over IP, so might persuade them to fork out on a pair of something
better - eg. the Grandstream units...

Gordon

Darren J Longhorn

On Wed, 6 Aug 2008 15:47:13 +0000 (UTC), Gordon Henderson
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Start here:
>
> http://www.the-scream.co.uk/forums/t26646.html?
>
>The trink would be to make sure they don't have Internet access before
>you get everything setup - so they don't auto-upgrade their firmware...
>
>I'll get my units tomorow, but to be useful, it looks like both sides will
>need to do the "thwarting" which might limit it's usability to one site
>only, but it'll prove a concept and I have a client who's intersted in
>video over IP, so might persuade them to fork out on a pair of something
>better - eg. the Grandstream units...

Interesting stuff. Looks like they only got H.263 and G.711 going,
which is a pity, the H.264 and G.722.2 are the best thing about those
phones.