Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > Is Comcast blocking my VOIP?

Is Comcast blocking my VOIP?

M.L.

I was successfully using my Voicestick voip to call out when I had AT&T dsl.
However, now that I've switched to a wireless LAN using Comcast, I can't
make my outbound calls with my Voicestick softphone. It gives me a code
12002 timeout error when I try to authenticate.

I've tried connecting with my software firewall to allow, and with it
completely turned off. I tried port-forwarding the recommended Voicestick
ports to my computer while my software firewall was off. I finally tried
putting my computer in the router's DMZ with my software firewall turned
off. I just couldn't get a call to go through. I can't think of anything
that's stopping the show except Comcast. Could there be another reason?
Thanks.

Thomas T. Veldhouse

M.L. <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I was successfully using my Voicestick voip to call out when I had AT&T dsl.
> However, now that I've switched to a wireless LAN using Comcast, I can't
> make my outbound calls with my Voicestick softphone. It gives me a code
> 12002 timeout error when I try to authenticate.
>
> I've tried connecting with my software firewall to allow, and with it
> completely turned off. I tried port-forwarding the recommended Voicestick
> ports to my computer while my software firewall was off. I finally tried
> putting my computer in the router's DMZ with my software firewall turned
> off. I just couldn't get a call to go through. I can't think of anything
> that's stopping the show except Comcast. Could there be another reason?
> Thanks.

Comcast and 3rd party VoIP works just fine. You almost certainly have your
router and/or adapter (stick) configured incorrectly. Can you hook that
"VoiceStick" directly to your cable modem [or is it a USB bit that connects to
a PC}?

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse

Religion is a crutch, but that's okay... humanity is a cripple.

Thomas T. Veldhouse

M.L. <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I was successfully using my Voicestick voip to call out when I had AT&T dsl.
> However, now that I've switched to a wireless LAN using Comcast, I can't
> make my outbound calls with my Voicestick softphone. It gives me a code
> 12002 timeout error when I try to authenticate.
>
> I've tried connecting with my software firewall to allow, and with it
> completely turned off. I tried port-forwarding the recommended Voicestick
> ports to my computer while my software firewall was off. I finally tried
> putting my computer in the router's DMZ with my software firewall turned
> off. I just couldn't get a call to go through. I can't think of anything
> that's stopping the show except Comcast. Could there be another reason?
> Thanks.

Comcast and 3rd party VoIP works just fine. You almost certainly have your
router and/or adapter (stick) configured incorrectly. Can you hook that
"VoiceStick" directly to your cable modem [or is it a USB bit that connects to
a PC}?

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse

Religion is a crutch, but that's okay... humanity is a cripple.

M.L.

>> I was successfully using my Voicestick voip to call out when I had AT&T
>> dsl.
>> However, now that I've switched to a wireless LAN using Comcast, I can't
>> make my outbound calls with my Voicestick softphone. It gives me a code
>> 12002 timeout error when I try to authenticate.
>>
>> I've tried connecting with my software firewall to allow, and with it
>> completely turned off. I tried port-forwarding the recommended Voicestick
>> ports to my computer while my software firewall was off. I finally tried
>> putting my computer in the router's DMZ with my software firewall turned
>> off. I just couldn't get a call to go through. I can't think of anything
>> that's stopping the show except Comcast. Could there be another reason?
>> Thanks.
>>

> Comcast and 3rd party VoIP works just fine. You almost certainly have
> your
> router and/or adapter (stick) configured incorrectly. Can you hook that
> "VoiceStick" directly to your cable modem [or is it a USB bit that
> connects to
> a PC}?

I'm not using the stick, just their softphone.

M.L. <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I'm not using the stick, just their softphone.

Firewall issue ... either on your computer or on your router ... I am about
100% sure of this. I am 100% sure that Comcast is not blocking VoIP. They
took enough heat with their interference with torrents to even consider
blocking VoIP for anti-competitive reasons.

--

M.L. <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I'm not using the stick, just their softphone.

Firewall issue ... either on your computer or on your router ... I am about
100% sure of this. I am 100% sure that Comcast is not blocking VoIP. They
took enough heat with their interference with torrents to even consider
blocking VoIP for anti-competitive reasons.

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse

Religion is a crutch, but that's okay... humanity is a cripple.

M.L.

>> I'm not using the stick, just their softphone.

> Firewall issue ... either on your computer or on your router ... I am
> about
> 100% sure of this. I am 100% sure that Comcast is not blocking VoIP.
> They
> took enough heat with their interference with torrents to even consider
> blocking VoIP for anti-competitive reasons.

Thanks for your reply. I had already tried shutting down my router and
software firewalls with no success. Turns out that my WinXP Telephony
service was set to Manual. After setting it to Started->Automatic and
rebooting, I could make outgoing calls.

M.L.

>> I'm not using the stick, just their softphone.

> Firewall issue ... either on your computer or on your router ... I am
> about
> 100% sure of this. I am 100% sure that Comcast is not blocking VoIP.
> They
> took enough heat with their interference with torrents to even consider
> blocking VoIP for anti-competitive reasons.

Thanks for your reply. I had already tried shutting down my router and
software firewalls with no success. Turns out that my WinXP Telephony
service was set to Manual. After setting it to Started->Automatic and
rebooting, I could make outgoing calls.

Dan_Roberts Dan_Roberts is offline
Junior Member
Location: New York

Even if they say they won't be blocking IP Packets, they can still cause mischief. Packet loss, latency and jitter are all known VoIP issues with cable providers. Our company uses a router and software that lets us pinpoint the source of the problems.

The problem is that there is nothing you can do about it.

So, it is nice that Comcast says they won't block VoIP, they didn't say they were going to provide a "smooth ride" either.

Comcast blocking my dialup pages GrailKing@oops!.Not.The.Realm.net Computer Support 3 11-24-2005 12:28 AM
Re: "Comcast Mail" <userdavid1072@comcast.net> david ramon Computer Support 1 10-22-2003 03:40 PM
Re: Comcast blocking voip? Steve Blair VOIP 0 08-22-2003 04:11 PM
Re: Comcast blocking voip? Sparky VOIP 0 08-22-2003 03:10 PM
Re: Comcast blocking voip? NOONE VOIP 0 08-22-2003 12:34 PM

Advertisments