Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > IBm thinkpad wireless question

IBm thinkpad wireless question

Tracy

Hi, I have an IBM thinkpad R40 Celeron (model# 2681 CTO) that I want to add
to my home wireless network. It's wireless upgradable ready (the antenna
wires are already installed and there is a mini pci slot) I've been looking
at the IBM 31P9107 as it supports 802.11a/b/g. In trying to determine
weather this card is compatable with my system I found the following
information on the IBM USA site:

On this page,
http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/si...cid=MIGR-52623
the information shows a compatability with the ThinkPad R40 Celeron and P4
2681.

but on this page,
http://www-132.ibm.com/webapp/wcs/st...9701&storeId=1
the list of compatable laptops does not include the ThinkPad R40 Celeron and
P4 2681.

Anyone know which is true?
Thanks,
Tracy

Malke

Tracy wrote:

> Hi, I have an IBM thinkpad R40 Celeron (model# 2681 CTO) that I want
> to add to my home wireless network. It's wireless upgradable ready
> (the antenna wires are already installed and there is a mini pci slot)
> I've been looking at the IBM 31P9107 as it supports 802.11a/b/g. In
> trying to determine weather this card is compatable with my system I
> found the following information on the IBM USA site:
>
> On this page,

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/si...cid=MIGR-52623
> the information shows a compatability with the ThinkPad R40 Celeron
> and P4 2681.
>
> but on this page,

http://www-132.ibm.com/webapp/wcs/st...9701&storeId=1
> the list of compatable laptops does not include the ThinkPad R40
> Celeron and P4 2681.
>
> Anyone know which is true?
> Thanks,
> Tracy

The best thing to do is call IBM Tech Support - they will be able to
tell you positively. IBM's Tech Support is excellent (I have a Thinkpad
X31).

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Tracy

"Malke" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Tracy wrote:
>
>> Hi, I have an IBM thinkpad R40 Celeron (model# 2681 CTO) that I want
>> to add to my home wireless network. It's wireless upgradable ready
>> (the antenna wires are already installed and there is a mini pci slot)
>> I've been looking at the IBM 31P9107 as it supports 802.11a/b/g. In
>> trying to determine weather this card is compatable with my system I
>> found the following information on the IBM USA site:
>>
>> On this page,
>>

> http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/si...cid=MIGR-52623
>> the information shows a compatability with the ThinkPad R40 Celeron
>> and P4 2681.
>>
>> but on this page,
>>

> http://www-132.ibm.com/webapp/wcs/st...9701&storeId=1
>> the list of compatable laptops does not include the ThinkPad R40
>> Celeron and P4 2681.
>>
>> Anyone know which is true?
>> Thanks,
>> Tracy

> The best thing to do is call IBM Tech Support - they will be able to
> tell you positively. IBM's Tech Support is excellent (I have a Thinkpad
> X31).
>
> Malke
> --
> MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> In Memoriam - MVP Alex Nichol
> The world is diminished without him.

I tried that today, unfortunately my R40 is out of warranty and the guy on
the phone told me it would be between $180 and $540 for the tech guys to
call me... ouch!

Tracy

Malke

Tracy wrote:

> "Malke" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Tracy wrote:
>>
>>> Hi, I have an IBM thinkpad R40 Celeron (model# 2681 CTO) that I want
>>> to add to my home wireless network. It's wireless upgradable ready
>>> (the antenna wires are already installed and there is a mini pci
>>> slot) I've been looking at the IBM 31P9107 as it supports
>>> 802.11a/b/g. In trying to determine weather this card is compatable
>>> with my system I found the following information on the IBM USA
>>> site:
>>>
>>> On this page,

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/si...cid=MIGR-52623
>>> the information shows a compatability with the ThinkPad R40 Celeron
>>> and P4 2681.
>>>
>>> but on this page,

http://www-132.ibm.com/webapp/wcs/st...9701&storeId=1
>>> the list of compatable laptops does not include the ThinkPad R40
>>> Celeron and P4 2681.
>>>
>>> Anyone know which is true?
>>> Thanks,
>>> Tracy

>> The best thing to do is call IBM Tech Support - they will be able to
>> tell you positively. IBM's Tech Support is excellent (I have a
>> Thinkpad X31).

> I tried that today, unfortunately my R40 is out of warranty and the
> guy on the phone told me it would be between $180 and $540 for the
> tech guys to call me... ouch!

Ouch! That sucks. Can you call the IBM store and ask there? Otherwise,
you'd probably do best to search using Google, look for Thinkpad user
groups, mailing lists, that sort of thing. You might get an answer here
from someone who has the exact same machine as you do, but your chances
will be greater in a Thinkpad-specific venue. Good luck.

Malke