Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > asp 64bit question

asp 64bit question

GaryDean

I recently transferred a web project from my 32 bit computer running
server2003 to my 64bit Vista Ultimate computer. Of course all of my dlls,
etc are 32 bit but everything ran fine on the new computer. I supposed this
was due to the magic of WoW64. However I did find one dll that would not
run. The vendor told me that it was because I was running on a 64 bit
machine and that their dll was a 32 bit dll.

So, why did all the other dlls run fine and not this specific one.
(websupergoo ABCDpdf).

--
Regards,
Gary Blakely

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

..NET assemblies are compiled down to bytecode, which means they are not 32
bit specific, even when compiled there. This may not be true as a blanket
statement, of course, but it works for most everything.

The vendor DLL is one of two types:

1. Native 32-bit DLL
2. .NET DLL run through ngen for 32bit

It is most likely #1. In the COM world, 32-bit versus 64-bit matters. In the
..NET world it should not.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP, MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

Subscribe to my blog

or just read it:
http://gregorybeamer.spaces.live.com/

| Think outside the box! |
"GaryDean" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ekW%23k%(E-Mail Removed)...
>I recently transferred a web project from my 32 bit computer running
>server2003 to my 64bit Vista Ultimate computer. Of course all of my dlls,
>etc are 32 bit but everything ran fine on the new computer. I supposed
>this was due to the magic of WoW64. However I did find one dll that would
>not run. The vendor told me that it was because I was running on a 64 bit
>machine and that their dll was a 32 bit dll.
>
> So, why did all the other dlls run fine and not this specific one.
> (websupergoo ABCDpdf).
>
> --
> Regards,
> Gary Blakely

erwien

Is it a COM interop assembly?

GaryDean wrote:

> I recently transferred a web project from my 32 bit computer running
> server2003 to my 64bit Vista Ultimate computer. Of course all of my
> dlls, etc are 32 bit but everything ran fine on the new computer. I
> supposed this was due to the magic of WoW64. However I did find one
> dll that would not run. The vendor told me that it was because I was
> running on a 64 bit machine and that their dll was a 32 bit dll.
>
> So, why did all the other dlls run fine and not this specific one.
> (websupergoo ABCDpdf).

Steven Cheng [MSFT]

Thanks for Gregory and erwien's input.

I also think that the problem is related to whether the dll is a pure
managed one. Also, though .NET assembly(compiled with any platform target)
can auto adapted to 32bit and 64 bit platform, for ASP.NET it is a bit
particular. Because it rely on IIS server, while IIS server(or a single
virtual application dir) can only be configured to run under a single
mode(32 or 64 ) at a time. It is configured via "enable32BitAppOnWin64 "
flag, I think we also need to make sure how to the IIS virtual dir is
configured currently so as to confirm whether the ASP.NET is running in
pure 64 bit mode or 32 bit mode via WOW. Then, we can go further to
analyize the problem dll(which not work).

#IIS7 - Running 32-bit and 64-bit ASP.NET versions at the same time on
different worker processes
http://blogs.msdn.com/rakkimk/archiv...32-bit-and-64-
bit-asp-net-versions-at-the-same-time-on-different-worker-processes.aspx

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

ications.

--------------------

>Subject: Re: asp 64bit question
>Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2008 12:28:33 -0500

>.NET assemblies are compiled down to bytecode, which means they are not 32
>bit specific, even when compiled there. This may not be true as a blanket
>statement, of course, but it works for most everything.
>
>The vendor DLL is one of two types:
>
>1. Native 32-bit DLL
>2. .NET DLL run through ngen for 32bit
>
>It is most likely #1. In the COM world, 32-bit versus 64-bit matters. In

the
>.NET world it should not.
>
>--
>Gregory A. Beamer
>MVP, MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA
>
>Subscribe to my blog
>http://gregorybeamer.spaces.live.com/lists/feed.rss
>
>or just read it:
>http://gregorybeamer.spaces.live.com/

>| Think outside the box! |
>"GaryDean" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:ekW%23k%(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>I recently transferred a web project from my 32 bit computer running
>>server2003 to my 64bit Vista Ultimate computer. Of course all of my

dlls,
>>etc are 32 bit but everything ran fine on the new computer. I supposed
>>this was due to the magic of WoW64. However I did find one dll that

would
>>not run. The vendor told me that it was because I was running on a 64

bit
>>machine and that their dll was a 32 bit dll.
>>
>> So, why did all the other dlls run fine and not this specific one.
>> (websupergoo ABCDpdf).
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Gary Blakely

GaryDean

no. It's ABCDpdf from websupergoo

--
Regards,
Gary Blakely
"erwien" <first.name_at_nospam.org> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is it a COM interop assembly?
>
> GaryDean wrote:
>
>> I recently transferred a web project from my 32 bit computer running
>> server2003 to my 64bit Vista Ultimate computer. Of course all of my
>> dlls, etc are 32 bit but everything ran fine on the new computer. I
>> supposed this was due to the magic of WoW64. However I did find one
>> dll that would not run. The vendor told me that it was because I was
>> running on a 64 bit machine and that their dll was a 32 bit dll.
>>
>> So, why did all the other dlls run fine and not this specific one.
>> (websupergoo ABCDpdf).

Göran Andersson

GaryDean wrote:
> no. It's ABCDpdf from websupergoo

I suppose that you mean ABCpdf?

The professional edition is available for x64.

--
Göran Andersson
_____

Steven Cheng [MSFT]

Hi Gary,

Have you got any progress on this issue?

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

(E-Mail Removed).