Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > MP3 Editors - Best of Breed ?

MP3 Editors - Best of Breed ?

Lukagain Cos ThistleBounce

What do the gathered cognoscenti recommend as best choice for me to
use to trim some hours front and back off a five-hour-long mp3. I
would prefer to not decode & re-encode, since I presume these steps
cost quality?

TIA ............L.

Lodi

>On Mon, 04 Aug 2008 18:47:27 +1200, Lukagain Cos ThistleBounce wrote:

> What do the gathered cognoscenti recommend as best choice for me to use
> to trim some hours front and back off a five-hour-long mp3. I would
> prefer to not decode & re-encode, since I presume these steps cost
> quality?
>
> TIA ............L.

Audacity is pretty easy to use. Win, Mac and Linux

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Lodi

Lukagain Cos ThistleBounce

On 4 Aug 2008 20:00:46 +1200, Freesias <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Mon, 04 Aug 2008 19:48:21 +1200, Murray Symon wrote:
>
>> Lukagain Cos ThistleBounce wrote:
>>
>>> What do the gathered cognoscenti recommend as best choice for me to use
>>> to trim some hours front and back off a five-hour-long mp3. I would
>>> prefer to not decode & re-encode, since I presume these steps cost
>>> quality?
>>>
>>> TIA ............L.

>> You're worried about losing quality after it's been coded into MP3?
>> Audacity, while it decodes/re-encodes does decode to quite a high
>> internal resolution (32-bit samples, as far as I can recall). You
>> probably won't lose much more than has already gone west. However,
>> someone will probably recommend a good MP3 file trimmer.

>Wot Murray said.
>
>In order to edit an MP3 file you need to decode it, and then re-encode it
>again afterwards.
>
>Why are you using MP3 and not OGG?

Ooops - didn't mean to disturb an OggFan. I've recorded the 96 Kbps
stream from LeithFM. It's what they broadcast.
Trimming the mp3 I receive will become less of an issue if I can
figure out how to use NetTransport's scheduling facilities correctly
though.

On Mon, 04 Aug 2008 21:06:26 +1200, oneofus <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Lukagain Cos ThistleBounce wrote:
>> What do the gathered cognoscenti recommend as best choice for me to
>> use to trim some hours front and back off a five-hour-long mp3. I
>> would prefer to not decode & re-encode, since I presume these steps
>> cost quality?
>>
>> TIA ............L.

>http://mp3splt.sourceforge.net/mp3splt_page/home.php

Buggamee gabba - that did it & damned quick too. Must have taken all
of 5 seconds to give me the 80megs I wanted from the middle of about
216 megs. Spot on! Exactly what I was after. Many thanks.

L.

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarweb "oneofus" typed:
> Lukagain Cos ThistleBounce wrote:
>> What do the gathered cognoscenti recommend as best choice for me to
>> use to trim some hours front and back off a five-hour-long mp3. I
>> would prefer to not decode & re-encode, since I presume these steps
>> cost quality?

> http://mp3splt.sourceforge.net/mp3splt_page/home.php

Thanks, grabbed for possible future needs.
--
Shaun.

me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate...