Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > External HDD - Power supply - What do I need?

External HDD - Power supply - What do I need?

Alan

Hi All,

We have an external HDD for which we have lost the power adapter
(probably thrown out during a shift recently).

However, we have a plethora of power supplies lying around, and the
drive enclosure states what it needs I think. I would just like to
check with you all as to what it means!

It reads:

12V (DC Symbol) 0-2.0A (Set at 1.5A)

Now I know that 12V means it needs a 12 volt supply, and the symbol I
looked up and it means Direct Current (of course).

It is the amperage that I am concerned about. Does it mean that I can
plug in any supply that puts out 12V DC at anything between zero and
two amps? Is the 1.5A the recommended output?

If I recall correctly from many years ago at school, the device would
determine its power draw (in amps), and so I am thinking that as long
as the supply I plug in can deliver enough amps, it doesn't matter if
it is rated higher. However, I would like to get a second opinion on
that!!

Only other issue is trying all the plugs to find one that fits

Thanks,

--

Alan.

else associated with me.

My current valid email address is:

email address.

ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb

Mark C

"Alan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:g766jm$t4g$(E-Mail Removed):

> 12V (DC Symbol) 0-2.0A (Set at 1.5A)
> ... so I am thinking that as long as the supply I plug in can
> deliver enough amps, it doesn't matter if it is rated higher.
> However, I would like to get a second opinion on that!!

Yes, correct.
As long as the supply is rated 2A output or higher it's good to go.

The other variable is is it a centre-positive or centre-negative
plug? A little picture on the enclosure should explain which.

(The text: "(Set at 1.5A)" doesn't make any sense tho...
WHAT is set at 1.5A?)

Mark

Enkidu

Alan wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> We have an external HDD for which we have lost the power adapter
> (probably thrown out during a shift recently).
>
> However, we have a plethora of power supplies lying around, and the
> drive enclosure states what it needs I think. I would just like to
> check with you all as to what it means!
>
> It reads:
>
> 12V (DC Symbol) 0-2.0A (Set at 1.5A)
>
> Now I know that 12V means it needs a 12 volt supply, and the symbol I
> looked up and it means Direct Current (of course).
>
> It is the amperage that I am concerned about. Does it mean that I can
> plug in any supply that puts out 12V DC at anything between zero and
> two amps? Is the 1.5A the recommended output?
>
> If I recall correctly from many years ago at school, the device would
> determine its power draw (in amps), and so I am thinking that as long
> as the supply I plug in can deliver enough amps, it doesn't matter if
> it is rated higher. However, I would like to get a second opinion on
> that!!
>
> Only other issue is trying all the plugs to find one that fits

As someone else said, you need to ensure if the polarity is correct too!

IE is the centre pin +ive or -ive.

(Just in case you didn't get the other post).

Cheers,

Cliff

--

"I LOVE IT!!" - someone on a newsgroup, somewhere.

J Brockley

"Alan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:g766jm$t4g$(E-Mail Removed)...

> Hi All,
>
> We have an external HDD for which we have lost the power adapter (probably
> thrown out during a shift recently).
>
> However, we have a plethora of power supplies lying around, and the drive
> enclosure states what it needs I think. I would just like to check with
> you all as to what it means!
>
> It reads:
>
> 12V (DC Symbol) 0-2.0A (Set at 1.5A)
>
> Now I know that 12V means it needs a 12 volt supply, and the symbol I
> looked up and it means Direct Current (of course).
>
> It is the amperage that I am concerned about. Does it mean that I can
> plug in any supply that puts out 12V DC at anything between zero and two
> amps? Is the 1.5A the recommended output?
>
> If I recall correctly from many years ago at school, the device would
> determine its power draw (in amps), and so I am thinking that as long as
> the supply I plug in can deliver enough amps, it doesn't matter if it is
> rated higher. However, I would like to get a second opinion on that!!
>
> Only other issue is trying all the plugs to find one that fits
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
>
> Alan.

Switch mode power supply is your best bet for getting 12v at up to 2A
rating.

Try here http://www.surplustronics.co.nz

Alan

"Mark C" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4896aaf9$0$1827$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Alan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:g766jm$t4g$(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> 12V (DC Symbol) 0-2.0A (Set at 1.5A)
>> ... so I am thinking that as long as the supply I plug in can
>> deliver enough amps, it doesn't matter if it is rated higher.
>> However, I would like to get a second opinion on that!!

> Yes, correct.
> As long as the supply is rated 2A output or higher it's good to go.
>
> The other variable is is it a centre-positive or centre-negative
> plug? A little picture on the enclosure should explain which.
>
> (The text: "(Set at 1.5A)" doesn't make any sense tho...
> WHAT is set at 1.5A?)
>
> Mark

Hi Mark,

The only 'picture' was the DC symbol.

What would happen if I found a supply that was 12V DC output of at
least 2A but was the wrong way round (positive - negative) and plugged
it in?

Would it just not work, or would it cause harm?

Not sure what the '(Set at 1.5A)' means, but that is what it says on
the end of the line that read, in full, as '12V (DC Symbol) 0-2.0A
(Set at 1.5A)' perhaps it means that 1.5A is okay, but 2A is better?

Thanks,

--

Alan.

else associated with me.

My current valid email address is:

(E-Mail Removed)

email address.

ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb

Alan

"Mark Robinson" <(E-Mail Removed)2tod.net> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)2tod.net...

>> What would happen if I found a supply that was 12V DC output of at
>> least 2A but was the wrong way round (positive - negative) and
>> plugged
>> it in?
>>
>> Would it just not work, or would it cause harm?

> Untold harm.
>
> Fixed width font time:
> _
> / \
> +ve -------o |------ -ve
> \_/
>
> Look for a symbol like that.
>
>> Not sure what the '(Set at 1.5A)' means, but that is what it says
>> on the end of the line that read, in full, as '12V (DC Symbol)
>> 0-2.0A (Set at 1.5A)' perhaps it means that 1.5A is okay, but 2A is
>> better?

> Dunno, that seems ambiguous.
>
> Not having enough power running a drive can be very bad for your
> data.
>
> Whatever supply you use should be (well) regulated.

Okay, I went back and you are all right (of course!) so I scanned the
label with the symbol on it, but it is hard to see:

http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/3910/posornegmm6.png

It really is there if you look closely, but hard to see due to being
on black - you might have to zoom in, but there is a symbol that I
think means that it is centre-positive.

Can I check that with someone else here?

Is the thing on the left (two squares, one inside the other) of any
relevance too?

Thanks,

--

Alan.

else associated with me.

My current valid email address is:

(E-Mail Removed)

email address.

ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarweb "Alan" typed:
> "Mark Robinson" <(E-Mail Removed)2tod.net> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)2tod.net...
>>>
>>> What would happen if I found a supply that was 12V DC output of at
>>> least 2A but was the wrong way round (positive - negative) and
>>> plugged
>>> it in?
>>>
>>> Would it just not work, or would it cause harm?

>> Untold harm.
>>
>> Fixed width font time:
>> _
>> / \
>> +ve -------o |------ -ve
>> \_/
>>
>> Look for a symbol like that.
>>
>>> Not sure what the '(Set at 1.5A)' means, but that is what it says
>>> on the end of the line that read, in full, as '12V (DC Symbol)
>>> 0-2.0A (Set at 1.5A)' perhaps it means that 1.5A is okay, but 2A is
>>> better?

>> Dunno, that seems ambiguous.
>>
>> Not having enough power running a drive can be very bad for your
>> data.
>>
>> Whatever supply you use should be (well) regulated.

> Okay, I went back and you are all right (of course!) so I scanned the
> label with the symbol on it, but it is hard to see:
>
> http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/3910/posornegmm6.png
>
> It really is there if you look closely, but hard to see due to being
> on black - you might have to zoom in, but there is a symbol that I
> think means that it is centre-positive.
>
> Can I check that with someone else here?

Done. Indeed, centre positive.

> Is the thing on the left (two squares, one inside the other) of any
> relevance too?

Dunno. I've seen it on devices before. At a guess (like you need that) I'd
say that it means that the power going into the enclosure should be isolated
from the mains.

Good luck,
--
Shaun.

me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate...

Nicolaas Hawkins

On Tue, 5 Aug 2008 16:28:42 +1200, Alan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
<news:g78lms$inp$(E-Mail Removed)>:

> Okay, I went back and you are all right (of course!) so I scanned the
> label with the symbol on it, but it is hard to see:
>
> http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/3910/posornegmm6.png
>
> It really is there if you look closely, but hard to see due to being
> on black - you might have to zoom in, but there is a symbol that I
> think means that it is centre-positive.
>
> Can I check that with someone else here?

You are correct - centre-positive.

> Is the thing on the left (two squares, one inside the other) of any
> relevance too?

That indicates that the appliance is double-insulated - which is of little
relevance in this context.

--
- Nic.

Alan

Thanx to everyone!

--

Alan.

else associated with me.

My current valid email address is:

(E-Mail Removed)

email address.

ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb

Gordon

On 2008-08-04, Alan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> We have an external HDD for which we have lost the power adapter
> (probably thrown out during a shift recently).
>
> However, we have a plethora of power supplies lying around, and the
> drive enclosure states what it needs I think. I would just like to
> check with you all as to what it means!
>
> It reads:
>
> 12V (DC Symbol) 0-2.0A (Set at 1.5A)
>
> Now I know that 12V means it needs a 12 volt supply, and the symbol I
> looked up and it means Direct Current (of course).
>
> It is the amperage that I am concerned about. Does it mean that I can
> plug in any supply that puts out 12V DC at anything between zero and
> two amps? Is the 1.5A the recommended output?
>
> If I recall correctly from many years ago at school, the device would
> determine its power draw (in amps), and so I am thinking that as long
> as the supply I plug in can deliver enough amps, it doesn't matter if
> it is rated higher. However, I would like to get a second opinion on
> that!!
>
> Only other issue is trying all the plugs to find one that fits

No it is not, polarity is.