Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > DVD+R data recovery

Reply
Thread Tools

DVD+R data recovery

 
 
Lodi
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-04-2008
Hi all....Using Kubuntu 8.04

I've been given a 4.7GB DVD+R with misc files. One of the files (~450MB
iso) is un-readable and un-copyable. After 300MB copied there's a "could
not read file" error. I've tried on three computers.

The disk surface is pretty much scratch-free.

There are a few black dots in the dye layer so I'm guessing the error is
caused by poor quality media. The "Transonic" label is another clue

Does anyone have a procedure for recovering files from damaged optical
media. Links, google keywords and software suggestions welcome.

I'm thinking it's "all or nothing" when recovering an iso file but the
procedures followed will stand me in good stead for future times.

Regards
Lodi

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-04-2008
In article <g765k9$pv2$(E-Mail Removed)>, Lodi did write:

> I've been given a 4.7GB DVD+R with misc files. One of the files (~450MB
> iso) is un-readable and un-copyable. After 300MB copied there's a "could
> not read file" error.


You could try making an image copy of the disc with dd using
its "conv=noerror" option. This will copy as much as it can. Then try doing
a loopback mount of the copied image file, and see what files (or parts
thereof) you can retrieve off that.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
J Brockley
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-04-2008


"Brian Mathews" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 04 Aug 2008 18:47:40 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
> <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:
>
>>In article <g765k9$pv2$(E-Mail Removed)>, Lodi did write:
>>
>>> I've been given a 4.7GB DVD+R with misc files. One of the files (~450MB
>>> iso) is un-readable and un-copyable. After 300MB copied there's a "could
>>> not read file" error.

>>
>>You could try making an image copy of the disc with dd using
>>its "conv=noerror" option. This will copy as much as it can. Then try
>>doing
>>a loopback mount of the copied image file, and see what files (or parts
>>thereof) you can retrieve off that.

>
>
>
>
> Its a ISO you need the whole file totally..
>
> The DVD must have holes in it, or corrosion then just kiss it good by.
>
>
> You just can't recover what you can't read..
>

Not necessarily so. If the iso can be mounted it may only be the file in the
faulty location that can't be retrieved.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Lodi
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-04-2008
>On Mon, 04 Aug 2008 18:47:40 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

>> In article <g765k9$pv2$(E-Mail Removed)>, Lodi did write:

>
>> I've been given a 4.7GB DVD+R with misc files. One of the files (~450MB
>> iso) is un-readable and un-copyable. After 300MB copied there's a
>> "could not read file" error.

>
> You could try making an image copy of the disc with dd using its
> "conv=noerror" option. This will copy as much as it can. Then try doing
> a loopback mount of the copied image file, and see what files (or parts
> thereof) you can retrieve off that.


Wow. Seriously impressed. I used...

dd if=/media/cdrom0/training.iso of=/home/kubuntu/tmp/recovered.iso
conv=notrunc,noerror

and managed to get 441MB of the 455MB file. Took just over two hours to
read 440MB. Got down to a read rate of 140kB/s in the corrupted parts.
Very slow.

Mounted the recovered iso (a collection of training videos) and managed
to skim through them. Definitely watchable. Job done as far as I'm
concerned.

Thanks LDO
Thanks all

Lodi

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Start your Own "Data Recovery" Business, beacome a Data Recovery Professional Author Tarun Tyagi Computer Support 1 04-03-2009 03:34 AM
Data Recovery SOURCE CODE ( SOURCE CODES of Professional Data Recovery Software ) Author Tarun Tyagi Cisco 0 12-29-2004 05:03 PM
Data Recovery Book and Online Business Promotion, Products Sales Promotion, Search Engine Optimization and Online Data Recovery Training services Author Tarun Tyagi Cisco 0 12-15-2004 01:52 AM
Digital Image Recovery and Memory Stick Recovery; Recovery of Lost Photos Digital Image Recovery Computer Support 1 09-10-2004 04:43 PM
Digital Image Recovery and Memory Stick Recovery; Recovery of Lost Photos Digital Image Recovery Digital Photography 0 09-10-2004 04:21 PM



Advertisments