Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Need to buy new LCD monitor - help please

Need to buy new LCD monitor - help please

Trash Fish

I need to get a new LCD monitor at a low price (less than $160) & in a
small size (at least 14" but no more than a few inches larger). Can
anyone recommend the best brands for quality, especially among the
major, well-known ones? Also, can anyone let us know the worst brands
for quality that should be avoided, especially among the major, well-
known ones? Any efforts to help will be greatly appreciated - thanks,
as always.

Paul

Trash Fish wrote:
> I need to get a new LCD monitor at a low price (less than $160) & in a
> small size (at least 14" but no more than a few inches larger). Can
> anyone recommend the best brands for quality, especially among the
> major, well-known ones? Also, can anyone let us know the worst brands
> for quality that should be avoided, especially among the major, well-
> known ones? Any efforts to help will be greatly appreciated - thanks,
> as always.

Have you read the reviews on Newegg ? You can learn just about everything
you need to know, that way. Price, whether units have bad pixels, whether
they die after three weeks and so on.

15.6" for $135 1366 x 768 (weird resolution - like a "1024x768 with wings")

16" for $140 1366 x 768 (weird resolution) Acer brand (but likely made
by the same company as made the previous one). No speakers.

There are a lot more 17" diagonal monitors, both wide screen and regular
4:3 or 5:4 kinds of ratios. But I expect those are too big for your physical
dimensions. There are about 7 models that are close to meeting the $160 figure.

The viewing angle spec is important, and the two small monitors above have
relatively poor viewing angle. This can mean a color shift from edge to
edge, even when your head is centered in front of the monitor. Some of the
17" monitors do a little better on viewing angle.

This one is a 17", with a 5:4 resolution (1280x1024), same as I'm sitting
in front of right now. Viewing angle is 176 degrees both vertical and
horizontal (doesn't get much better than that). That means the colors should
remain constant up to the edge of the monitor. (But it doesn't say anything
about backlight bleed, and for that, you need customer comments. There are
no customer reviews for this model yet.) The contrast ratio is 2000:1, but
that is a sign of a "fake" contrast ratio. What screens like that do, is
dim the backlight, to give a blacker black. Which is not at all what you'd
want, when working in Photoshop. What you want in a case like that, is
an item in the OSD (on screen display menu), to disable the high contrast
ratio. A more normal ratio is somewhere between 500:1 and 1000:1. Once
they get over 1000, chances are there are some games being played
with the backlight.

The response time is largely irrelevant, in the sense that they changed
the way response time is measured, making it almost useless at determining
the actual behavior of the monitor.

Also, before you buy, review what connectors are on the monitor, and what
connectors are on your video card. Nothing more embarrassing, than having
a VGA video card (15 pin) and buying a DVI-D (digital only) monitor. Make
sure the connectors match, whatever you decide on.

Hope that helps,
Paul