Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > WebConfigurationManager.GetSection in Medium Trust

WebConfigurationManager.GetSection in Medium Trust

Roger Martin

Is it possible for a medium trust web application to read the Membership
providers? The following throws a SecurityException:

MembershipSection membershipSection =
(MembershipSection)WebConfigurationManager.GetSect ion("system.web/membership");

I have custom sections in my web.config where I specify
requirePermission="false", which allows them to be read in medium trust, but
it does not seem possible to do this for the membership section. When I
attempt it, like putting the following at the top of web.config...

<section name="membership" type="System.Web.Configuration.MembershipSection,
System.Web" allowDefinition="MachineToApplication" requirePermission="false"
/>

....I get the error "There is a duplicate 'system.web/membership' section
defined". I understand it may be possible to get around this by editing the
machine-level web.config so that allowOverride="true", but this is not an
option in my case, as I am developing a web application for wide
distribution, and I do not want to require my users to edit the machine-level
web.config.

Thanks,
Roger Martin
Gallery Server Pro (http://www.galleryserverpro.com)

Roger Martin

Bump. I am an MSDN subscriber, and I am under the impression someone from
Microsoft will answer this within two business days, but that time has
passed. Am I misunderstanding something?

Thanks,
Roger

"Roger Martin" wrote:

> Is it possible for a medium trust web application to read the Membership
> providers?

Juan T. Llibre

re:
!> Bump. I am an MSDN subscriber, and I am under the impression someone from
!> Microsoft will answer this within two business days, but that time has
!> passed. Am I misunderstanding something?

Did you register your posting address with MSDN ?
Unless you did, they have no way to assign priority to your question.

Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
foros de asp.net, en espa˝ol : http://asp.net.do/foros/
======================================
"Roger Martin" <Roger http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)am> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Bump. I am an MSDN subscriber, and I am under the impression someone from
> Microsoft will answer this within two business days, but that time has
> passed. Am I misunderstanding something?
>
> Thanks,
> Roger
>
> "Roger Martin" wrote:
>
>> Is it possible for a medium trust web application to read the Membership
>> providers?

Roger Martin

That may be the issue. Unfortunately, the web site is not working for
configuring the e-mail alias, so I had to create a support incident that may
take a few days to sort out. Meanwhile, if anyone can address the original
question, I sure would appreciate it!

Roger