Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > POST data with Java

POST data with Java

adrian.bartholomew@gmail.com

Hi. I'm trying to fill out online forms automatically with Java.
Things like posting to classified ads that would include signing in
and uploading pics etc. without having to go to the sites themselves.
I understand that I may have to obtain the POST variables.
Can anyone help me or point me in the right direction?

Thanks.

Roedy Green

On Fri, 1 Aug 2008 14:37:46 -0700 (PDT), http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

>Hi. I'm trying to fill out online forms automatically with Java.
>Things like posting to classified ads that would include signing in
>and uploading pics etc. without having to go to the sites themselves.
>I understand that I may have to obtain the POST variables.
>Can anyone help me or point me in the right direction?

See http://mindprod.com/jgloss/http.html for code listings. You can
also download. For a app that posts see
http://mindprod.com/applet/submitter.html
with source.
--

Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
The Java Glossary

Arne Vajh°j

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Hi. I'm trying to fill out online forms automatically with Java.
> Things like posting to classified ads that would include signing in
> and uploading pics etc. without having to go to the sites themselves.
> I understand that I may have to obtain the POST variables.
> Can anyone help me or point me in the right direction?

You can use (Http)URLConnection, but I will strongly
recommend something a bit more high level like Jakarta
HttpClient.

See a code snippet below.

Arne

import java.io.IOException;

import org.apache.commons.httpclient.Cookie;
import org.apache.commons.httpclient.Header;
import org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpClient;
import org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpException;
import org.apache.commons.httpclient.NameValuePair;
import org.apache.commons.httpclient.methods.GetMethod;
import org.apache.commons.httpclient.methods.PostMethod;

public class Login {
private HttpClient client;

public Login() {
client = new HttpClient();
}

public void login(String url,
String userField, String userValue,
String passField, String passValue) {
NameValuePair[] nvp = new NameValuePair[2];
nvp[0] = new NameValuePair(userField, userValue);
nvp[1] = new NameValuePair(passField, passValue);
post(url, nvp);
}
public String get(String url) {
GetMethod met = new GetMethod(url);
try {
client.executeMethod(met);
} catch (HttpException e) {
e.printStackTrace();
} catch (IOException e) {
e.printStackTrace();
}
return met.getResponseBodyAsString();
}
public String post(String url, NameValuePair[] nvp) {
PostMethod met = new PostMethod(url);
if(nvp != null) {
met.setRequestBody(nvp);
}