Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > Windows port of I/O functions

Windows port of I/O functions

Mac

Hello,

How do I implement the following functions in Windows?:

outb

outl

inb

iopl

inb

inl

I think I might need STL.

Does anyone know a good tutorial for programming windows with STL?

Thanks,
Mac
http://www.datanetzs.com

Mac

> Does anyone know a good tutorial for programming windows with STL?

Nicolai Josuttis' "The C++ Standard Library" is one of the best.

>> Doesn't cover STL and Windows.
>> Try STL Programming from the Ground Up by Herbert Schildt (Author)

> How do I implement the following functions in Windows?:

Ask in a Windows newsgroup.

>> Not helpful. This question is a request for an answer not, a referral.
>> If anyone knows the Windows equivalent functions for register manipulation please post.

> I think I might need STL.

STL (and C++) has nothing to do with hardware. Any hardware
interaction
is achieved using system- and platform-specific libraries. You need
ask in the system/platform- specific newsgroup.

>> STL (and C++) are used to program CPU's and perform I/O .
>> Again not helpful. This question is a request for an answer not, a referral.

>> Have fun, Mac

osmium

"Mac" wrote:

> How do I implement the following functions in Windows?:
>
> outb
>
> outl
>
> inb
>
> iopl
>
> inb
>
> inl
>
> I think I might need STL.
>
> Does anyone know a good tutorial for programming windows with STL?

You may need STL but not in the context of the other stuff you ask about.
STL is a very high level thing, the other things you list are very low
level. As mentioned else thread, Josuttis is the bible for STL. it is a
tutorial *and* reference.

WRT the op codes (or whatever) plug this into google < msdn outb>.
Pay special attention to the response by KingTermite. If you dig around the
MSDN site long enough you are likely to find your answer. The op codes are
not part of C++ so you will never get an answer in this group. That's just
the way things are.

red floyd

Mac wrote:
> Hello,
>
> How do I implement the following functions in Windows?:
>
> outb
>
> outl
>
> inb
>
> iopl
>
> inb
>
> inl

You're OT here, but...

You can't do that from userspace in Windows. You need to write a device
driver. To do that you need the DDK.