Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Re: Orcon ADSL2+ Upgrade

Re: Orcon ADSL2+ Upgrade

Chris Lim

On Jul 31, 6:49*pm, "{-.-}" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Has anyone recently upgraded to Orcon's ADSL2+ ?
> How's the experience so far ? Is it actually much faster?
>
> Thanks !

I upgraded a few months ago (from Xtra). Yes it is much faster, max
speed has gone up from about 200KB/s to 800KB/s but there have been a
few times where the speed has dropped back significantly. I suspect
their network doesn't handle the load when it gets really busy, but
overall it's a huge improvement.

Chris Lim

On Aug 1, 10:41*am, Puddle <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Chris Lim wrote:
> > On Jul 31, 6:49 pm, "{-.-}" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> Has anyone recently upgraded to Orcon's ADSL2+ ?
> >> How's the experience so far ? Is it actually much faster?

> >> Thanks !

> > I upgraded a few months ago (from Xtra). Yes it is much faster, max
> > speed has gone up from about 200KB/s to 800KB/s but there have been a
> > few times where the speed has dropped back significantly. I suspect
> > their network doesn't handle the load when it gets really busy, but
> > overall it's a huge improvement.

> Are you on their equipment? (LLU) *(orcon@home etc) or just using them
> as a provider?
>
> I am with them as just a provider but still using telecom equipment at
> the exchange, orcon aren't in my exchange yet.. I hit 950 kbytes some
> times on torrents which I am pretty happy with.

I'm on their equipment (LLU, Ellerslie exchange). When I was on Xtra I
could never get above 200KB/s and most of the time was much slower. If
you are getting 950KB/s already then maybe you'll get lightning speeds
on their exchange!