Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > AJAX: Closing a modal popup dialog

AJAX: Closing a modal popup dialog

Mike Hofer

Okay, here's the situation: we want to be able to display ASPX pages
in an UpdatePanel. The reasons for this are performance related. The
site in development uses *lots* of modal popups from some pages, and
we don't want to load all that content until it's requested.

So, what we want to do is place an IFRAME inside an UpdatePanel and,
in the onclick event for the linkbutton or button control, set the SRC
so that the content is loaded on demand. So far, so good.

What I can't seem to figure out, at this point, is how you would go
about closing the modal popup once it's displayed. In theory, the
heirarchy looks like this:

Page
Button/LinkButton
ModalPopupExtender
UpdatePanel
IFrame
Page
OK/Cancel button

I'm relatively new to this Ajax business, but I've manged to figure
out how to get the page to load display in the IFrame when I want it
to, and that's all spiffy. Now I just need to know how to get it to
close in response to the user's actions.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Mike

Marc

I can't answer your specific question, but I would put it all in a panel and
make it invisible unless you call the model popup. That way it wont load in
the page, and the buttons on the panel will close the model popup.

Marc

"Mike Hofer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Okay, here's the situation: we want to be able to display ASPX pages
> in an UpdatePanel. The reasons for this are performance related. The
> site in development uses *lots* of modal popups from some pages, and
> we don't want to load all that content until it's requested.
>
> So, what we want to do is place an IFRAME inside an UpdatePanel and,
> in the onclick event for the linkbutton or button control, set the SRC
> so that the content is loaded on demand. So far, so good.
>
> What I can't seem to figure out, at this point, is how you would go
> about closing the modal popup once it's displayed. In theory, the
> heirarchy looks like this:
>
> Page
> Button/LinkButton
> ModalPopupExtender
> UpdatePanel
> IFrame
> Page
> OK/Cancel button
>
> I'm relatively new to this Ajax business, but I've manged to figure
> out how to get the page to load display in the IFrame when I want it
> to, and that's all spiffy. Now I just need to know how to get it to
> close in response to the user's actions.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Mike

Mike Hofer

On Jul 31, 4:22*pm, "Marc " <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I can't answer your specific question, but I would put it all in a panel and
> make it invisible unless you call the model popup. That way it wont load in
> the page, and the buttons on the panel will close the model popup.
>
> Marc
>
> "Mike Hofer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>

> > Okay, here's the situation: we want to be able to display ASPX pages
> > in an UpdatePanel. The reasons for this are performance related. The
> > site in development uses *lots* of modal popups from some pages, and
> > we don't want to load all that content until it's requested.

> > So, what we want to do is place an IFRAME inside an UpdatePanel and,
> > in the onclick event for the linkbutton or button control, set the SRC
> > so that the content is loaded on demand. So far, so good.

> > What I can't seem to figure out, at this point, is how you would go
> > about closing the modal popup once it's displayed. In theory, the
> > heirarchy looks like this:

> > Page
> > * Button/LinkButton
> > * ModalPopupExtender
> > * UpdatePanel
> > * * *IFrame
> > * * * * Page
> > * * * * * *OK/Cancel button

> > I'm relatively new to this Ajax business, but I've manged to figure
> > out how to get the page to load display in the IFrame when I want it
> > to, and that's all spiffy. Now I just need to know how to get it to
> > close in response to the user's actions.

> > Any help would be greatly appreciated.

> > Thanks!

> > Mike- Hide quoted text -

On these three pages we're developing, each page displays up to eight
modal dialog boxes of varying complexity. Several of these dialog
boxes include data repeaters with *lots* of data. We don't want those
pages loading until the user asks for them.

(Don't ask me why these are being displayed in modal dialog boxes.
Let's just say the creative department was smoking some really good
stuff, and no one from the software engineering department was
involved at the time to restrain their "Gee Whiz" impulses.)

So, embedding eight different dialog boxes on a single page with data
repeaters and all their data is impractical on a *very* high traffic
web site. I need to load this stuff dynamically. Further, some of
these pages have unique styling requirements, and I don't want to load
the style sheets for all those dialog boxes and further bloat the
request size. If I can just load the page when it's asked for and it's
size (and script) requirements, that's optimal.

Thanks,
Mike

bruce barker

the easiest way to do this is two hidden buttons, one as the targetid,
and one as the okcontrolid. then from client script just fire the
correct click to open/close the popup. the ok button in the iframe would
call a routine the parent to close (which would just fire the hidden ok
button). when you close the popup set the iframe src to a empty page, so
when you open it again, you don't have the last page displaying

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)