Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > connection and authentication problems (long post)

connection and authentication problems (long post)

Mike in Nebraska

Q: Are my problems due to bad design of the network, bad configuration, or a
combination of the two?

Goal: Provide internet-only access to guests outside of our company LAN and
WLAN.

Products used: D-Link wireless router DI-524, and a mix of D-Link access
points DWL-2200APs and DWL-2100APs.

Environment: The main building (with all the infrastructure) and 4
outbuildings - all within 250 yards of the main building.

Problem: Guests can only get a good signal, a "locked" IP address and
authenticate when close to the access points that are wired to the wirless
router. For those in the other buildings, it can't get an IP, except
sporadically and then its lost again, and authentication times out.

The setup:

T1

SOHO Router---------crossover
cable-----------(192.168.1.2) DI-524
(192.168.1.1)
(192.168.2.1)

(192.168.1.10)
3 x DWL-2200/2100AP's
DC - Server
wired to the DI-524, static IPs
(192.168.16.2)

One of the
above AP's broadcasts via

omni-dir.
antenna to the other buildings

Configuration:
(1) DI-524: WAN IP - 192.168.1.2, LAN IP - 192.168.2.1, Gateway -
192.168.1.1 (SOHO router's LAN IP), DHCP scope is .100 through.199, with the
first seven IP's reserved for the access points. Uses Channel 6 in
broadcast mode. Authentication is WPA PSK/Personal. Virtual Servers setup
for ports 80,443,53 and 110 using Private IP 192.168.1.1 (SOHO router).
(2) Three wired AP's: they share the same SSID - "PRWCMT". Their Gateway is
the DI-524 - 192.168.2.1. They are set in "WDS with AP" mode, with the MAC's
of the DI-524 and the other two wired AP's entered into the table.
(3) Four 'wireless' AP's have directional antennas pointing back to the main
building's antenna. All have different SSID's; they start with "PRWCMT" and
are suffixed with the building name. All are in "WDS with AP" mode, with
the MAC's of the DI-524, the wired AP that is connected to the omni-dir.
antenna and the other 3 'wireless' AP's.

Any advice/comments?
--
Mike Webb
Platte River Whooping Crane Maintenance Trust, Inc.

Mike in Nebraska

One (big) correction to my post -- I cna ONLY get an IP and then
authenticate when I connect wirelessly to the DI-524 wireless router itself.
Cannot do this from the 'wired' or 'wireless' access points. I'm guessing
it MUST be my configuration.

Mike

news:%23%(E-Mail Removed)...