Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Re: Merge partitions?

Re: Merge partitions?

fruitbat

"David Azose" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Is there any way to merge 2 partitions (C: and D in XP Home, so they end
> up as just C: WITHOUT having to buy a program for $50-$60? Since I will
> probably use this program once, I would like not to have to buy it.
>
> Windows XP does come with a "disk management" program but when I tried
> that, the D: partition just went away! So now, instead of an 80gb drive, I
> have a 15gb drive with about 55gb showing up as "unallocated". I know
> about Partition Magic (which is part of Norton Ghost, I think), but is
> there anything free or lower cost out there? Thanks for any help.

Try Ranish Partition Manager available at http://www.ranish.com/
It is freeware.
There is a great selection of the best freeware at www.pricelessware.org

jameshanley39@yahoo.co.uk

On Jul 31, 12:29*pm, "fruitbat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "David Azose" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>
> > Is there any way to merge 2 partitions (C: and D in XP Home, so they end
> > up as just C: WITHOUT having to buy a program for $50-$60? Since I will
> > probably use this program once, I would like not to have to buy it.

> > Windows XP does come with a "disk management" program but when I tried
> > that, the D: partition just went away! So now, instead of an 80gb drive, I
> > have a 15gb drive with about 55gb showing up as "unallocated". I know
> > about Partition Magic (which is part of Norton Ghost, I think), but is
> > there anything free or lower cost out there? Thanks for any help.

[addressing OP ^^]
well, Powerquest made Partition Magic and Norton-Symantec, made Ghost.
That was how it was.. Later apparently the Norton-symantec people took
over and got PM. something like that anyway. I'm sure you can still
get PM separately., My NG doesn't come with PM. I see you don't want
it but i'm sure you can get it separately.

Regarding doing it in Windows XP Disk Management
I got this relevant quote
"
if it is XP you need to change your disks from basic to dynamic. With
Vista this would not be a problem..
"

> Try *Ranish Partition Manager *available athttp://www.ranish.com/
> It is freeware.
> There is a great selection of the best freeware at
> www.pricelessware.org

to fruitbat-

That might be ok since it has the PW 2007 list..
which is the latest PW list.

but,
That www.pricelessware.org website is not maintained,
more up to date is,
www.pricelesswarehome.org

There are 2 lists on it. ACF and PW
the ACF list has everything, good or ok or bad..
the PW list has good stuff

ACF list (takes time to load)
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/P_ProgramIndex.php
PW list
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/200...ogramIndex.php

I guess pricelessware is carried forward, or is usually carried
forward..
Ranish is inthe PW 2007 list.

You can find the word Ranish.

Or, if you didn't know a specific program, only a program type..
if you look for the word Partition, you see the a program's main and
sub category. Main category was obvious anyway,
don't worry about the subcategory much but just note about the
subcategories that there may be a few , even with the word partition
in it. .
Go to the system utilities section.
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/200...MUTILITIES.php

look for the word partition, and keep looking.. first it takes you a
subcategory that it isn't in.. Then well, you could scroll down 'cos
partition programs in another subcategory called partition, would be
near. But you could do edit..find..partition(in your browser)
again..

you can get a list of subcategories up on the page for each category..
So you can see the subcategories with the word partition.. To get some
idea , e.g. that there are indeed 2 subcategories there.
Don't quit after not finding it in the first edit..find..partition/
looking in the first subcategory that comes up with partitino in it.
Ranish is in the second subcategory.. But all subcategories are on the
same page anyway.

Some other good freeware sites
http://bearware.info/
he mentions some patition programs in system utilities. I haven't
tried them though.

http://www.aplusfreeware.com/
(though this one it doesn't seem to have partition utilities on it..It
may be good for trying some types of software though)

ref regarding finding things on pricelesswarehome
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.c...8b0fc3f1ea0592
or
http://tinyurl.com/5okjd9

can i merge with outlook express address book =?Utf-8?B?Zmlpb25h?= Microsoft Certification 2 06-27-2005 04:18 PM
inputs for merge-sort vizziee@gmail.com VHDL 1 03-31-2005 12:35 PM
VHDL implementation of merge-sort vizziee@yahoo.com VHDL 2 01-04-2005 09:42 AM
Mail merge using TB Ranjit Firefox 0 01-02-2005 05:23 PM
Perl "test merge" Joe Cosby Perl 2 04-11-2004 01:16 AM

Advertisments