Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Re: HTML for mobile phones?

Re: HTML for mobile phones?

richard

On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 18:42:26 -0500, Chris <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>If I want to make a website easily accessible by most mobile phones,
>what are the rules?
>
>I did a bit of googling, and it looks like you can use plain html,
>xhtml, WAP/WML, and other things. What are most people doing these days?

I don't think that's a problem the web designer needs to worry about.
That's something the phone designer needs to do.
What are we supposed to do? Design a site for every type of new
display that comes along? Bull.

Chaddy2222

richard wrote:

> On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 18:42:26 -0500, Chris <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >If I want to make a website easily accessible by most mobile phones,
> >what are the rules?
> >
> >I did a bit of googling, and it looks like you can use plain html,
> >xhtml, WAP/WML, and other things. What are most people doing these days?

> I don't think that's a problem the web designer needs to worry about.
> That's something the phone designer needs to do.

No it isn't, it is up to the web designer to make their stuff work the
best it can on any device, includeing aural browsers and mobile
devices.

> What are we supposed to do? Design a site for every type of new
> display that comes along? Bull.

No that is not really the idea. If you right valid mark-up with CSS
that also validates then any device that can render HTML and CSS will
be able to be used on your site. Includeing mobile phones.

SpaceGirl

On Jul 31, 5:34*am, richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 18:42:26 -0500, Chris <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >If I want to make a website easily accessible by most mobile phones,
> >what are the rules?

> >I did a bit of googling, and it looks like you can use plain html,
> >xhtml, WAP/WML, and other things. What are most people doing these days?

> I don't think that's a problem the web designer needs to worry about.
> That's something the phone designer needs to do.
> What are we supposed to do? Design a site for every type of new
> display that comes along? Bull.

Maybe. The number of *big* sites that have slightly adapted themselves
for better iPhone support is astounding. Even the BBC site has an
iPhone specific tag in it now to help with the display width. There
are also many iPhone specific alternatives of popular sites now -
Flickr, FaceBook etc. So while you may say "bull", commercial reality
is something else... but that very much depends on your market?

Travis Newbury

On Jul 31, 2:14*am, Chaddy2222 <spamlovermailbox-
(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> No it isn't, it is up to the web designer to make their stuff work the
> best it can on any device, includeing aural browsers and mobile
> devices.

As modern handheld devices and screen readers move into the 21st
century, they (hand held) will all move to the same paradigm the
iphone has where the entire page gets zoomed, and readers will become
more intelligent . I look forward to the day this argument is moot.

You know it's coming. Like anything else, the time frame just depends
on the demand.

--
Travis
Flash Crap: http://travisnewbury.blogspot.com

SpaceGirl

On Jul 31, 11:28*am, Neredbojias <me@http://www.neredbojias.net/_eml/
fliam.php> wrote:
> On 31 Jul 2008, SpaceGirl <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> > On Jul 31, 5:34*am, richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> I don't think that's a problem the web designer needs to worry about.
> >> That's something the phone designer needs to do.
> >> What are we supposed to do? Design a site for every type of new
> >> display that comes along? Bull.

> > Maybe. The number of *big* sites that have slightly adapted themselves
> > for better iPhone support is astounding. Even the BBC site has an
> > iPhone specific tag in it now to help with the display width. There
> > are also many iPhone specific alternatives of popular sites now -
> > Flickr, FaceBook etc. So while you may say "bull", commercial reality
> > is something else... but that very much depends on your market?

> My market is Kroger but I don't really see the connection...?
>
> --
> Neredbojiashttp://www.neredbojias.net/
> Great sights and sounds

If a large percentage of a particular market are more or less likely
to want to use the products/services that are on your web site, you
perhaps may want to tailor your web site so that it better suits the
types of devices those visitors are using; put a sexy iPhone tailored
web site up and those folks with expensive toys will maybe spend some
money with you. Throw another generic works-everywhere site up and
maybe they won't? Make your audience feel "special" and perhaps
they'll spend more money.

Chaddy2222

On Jul 31, 10:52*pm, SpaceGirl <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> On Jul 31, 11:28*am, Neredbojias <me@http://www.neredbojias.net/_eml/
>

> fliam.php> wrote:

> > > Maybe. The number of *big* sites that have slightly adapted themselves
> > > for better iPhone support is astounding. Even the BBC site has an
> > > iPhone specific tag in it now to help with the display width. There
> > > are also many iPhone specific alternatives of popular sites now -
> > > Flickr, FaceBook etc. So while you may say "bull", commercial reality
> > > is something else... but that very much depends on your market?

> > My market is Kroger but I don't really see the connection...?

> > --
> > Neredbojiashttp://www.neredbojias.net/
> > Great sights and sounds

> If a large percentage of a particular market are more or less likely
> to want to use the products/services that are on your web site, you
> perhaps may want to tailor your web site so that it better suits the
> types of devices those visitors are using; put a sexy iPhone tailored
> web site up and those folks with expensive toys will maybe spend some
> money with you. Throw another generic works-everywhere site up and
> maybe they won't? Make your audience feel "special" and perhaps
> they'll spend more money.- Hide quoted text -

But it depends on the market. If the site is for a product that a
large amount of people would want to buy, I am thinking perhaps an
online shot here), then a site that works everyware would be a better
option. Most of the sites that I design for community organisations
are such sites. They need to work on just about any device.

SpaceGirl

On Jul 31, 9:47*pm, Neredbojias <me@http://www.neredbojias.net/_eml/
fliam.php> wrote:
> On 31 Jul 2008, SpaceGirl <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > If a large percentage of a particular market are more or less likely
> > to want to use the products/services that are on your web site, you
> > perhaps may want to tailor your web site so that it better suits the
> > types of devices those visitors are using; put a sexy iPhone tailored
> > web site up and those folks with expensive toys will maybe spend some
> > money with you. Throw another generic works-everywhere site up and
> > maybe they won't? Make your audience feel "special" and perhaps
> > they'll spend more money.

> Sure, that's part of the primary axiomatic business sense of, uh,
> business. *IOW, do whatever you can to SELL! *I just thought it was a
> little obvious and offered a tidbit of irony as, uh, food for thought.

It may seem obvious, but its very easy to get caught up the this whole
"make everything work everywhere" trend that seems to be popular
amongst some techies. I'm guilty of it sometimes too