Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > 802.1x for non-domain machines

802.1x for non-domain machines

Carlos A. Morillo

Is it possible to assign a machine (XP not part of the domain) a certificate
to access a wireless network? I don't care for accessing the domain as the
machine is not a member of it. I just need a way to authenticate to the
wireless AP anf get an IP address to browse the internet.

Taroon Mandhana\(MSFT\)

Yes, it is.
On windows, every user has a cert store. If you add the certificate to the
certstore for a particular user, he/she will be able to get access to the
network. The machine need not be part of the domain.

The microsoft CA (and may be others) may expose a web interface to request a
certificate. That interface should allow to request a certificate, and later
install it as well.

Thanks,
Taroon

news:OI%(E-Mail Removed)...